iFi audio hip-dac 2: just the tonic for headphone fans
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #226 of 314
I ain't gonna lie, companies probs want me to push MQA, but I saw this kind of reaction a lot on FB, a lot of folks dislike MQA, so I hope that everyone who makes audio products is reading those and weighting the public reaction.

Since I mainly listen to flac files ripped from CDs, and most of my music is not even remotely available in MQA, I need to search for something to test MQA with as far as music goes, for the sake of reviewing :)
I don't get it though. Even I listen to FLAC music mostly. If you don't like MQA, just don't use Tidal's master quality or just skip Tidal in general. Why skip on good products because of business decisions? It's that easy, just don't use MQA if you don't like it. By 'you', I mean the general public, not pointing fingers at you George.

I don't have an issue with people standing by their prinicples, I just find many good products come with MQA now. One can just not use Tidal and be done with rather than segregating their choices in the market.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #227 of 314
I don't get it though. Even I listen to FLAC music mostly. If you don't like MQA, just don't use Tidal's master quality or just skip Tidal in general. Why skip on good products because of business decisions? It's that easy, just don't use MQA if you don't like it. By 'you', I mean the general public, not pointing fingers at you George.

I don't have an issue with people standing by their prinicples, I just find many good products come with MQA now. One can just not use Tidal and be done with rather than segregating their choices in the market.
I refuse to pay for some thing I do NOT want. MQA is a stupid "feature" on some audio gear, ergo I do NOT buy any thing that has that stupid "feature" because the guy that foisted this turd on the world gets paid for having it as a feature and I am indirectly paying him. Simple.

I will not be FARCED into paying for this crap. Simple. I do not buy any thing ASSociated with MQA. To buy equipment that licenses the FARCE makes no sense. And screw TIDAL Bowl. LOL!

Do you as you wish. Pay for it. I am not going to. And I am going to continue to recommend people avoid any and every thing MQA.

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #230 of 314
What firmware version does it come pre-installed? How do I check the firmware?

You can check the firmware version using the iFI Audio Control panel app if you are using windows. Mine had v7.30 by default.

As seen below on the Revision section: v7.3B after I updated it.

iFI_ControlPanel.PNG

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #232 of 314
I bought just both:
- ifi hip dac 2 and
- audioquest dragonFly cobalt

i have also the shanling m8 when i want to listen to music at home.

however, when being outside, i am not sure which one of both ifi or AQ is better.

does anybody have had the possibility to compare them both?

i am asking because the AQ, especially the cobalt version with firmware v1.0, still, has so many problems on laptop and smartphone:
- laptop: cracking sound with tidal desktop app when doing exclusive mode. this mode is however necessary for getting puple color = MQA
- smartphone (samsung note 20 ultra): when using tidal and having lowest volume, the AQ gives full power, cracking sound and very loud for a moment, until i reduce the volume - also known issue by tidal. it is so loud that i always get very shocked for a moment when i forget it...

so the AQ is very small and handy. but i heard that the ifi is just better.

since i haven'open the brand-new hip dac 2 from its box, i wanted to ask you guys first here.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #233 of 314
I bought just both:
- ifi hip dac 2 and

however, when being outside, i am not sure which one of both ifi or AQ is better.

i am asking because the AQ, especially the cobalt version with firmware v1.0, still, has so many problems on laptop and smartphone:
- laptop: cracking sound with tidal desktop app when doing exclusive mode. this mode is however necessary for getting puple color = MQA
- smartphone (samsung note 20 ultra): when using tidal and having lowest volume, the AQ gives full power, cracking sound and very loud for a moment, until i reduce the volume - also known issue by tidal. it is so loud that i always get very shocked for a moment when i forget it...

since i haven'open the brand-new hip dac 2 from its box, i wanted to ask you guys first here.
I can't make a direct comparison, but I have owned a DragonFly Black and the original hip-dac. The hip-dac DESTROYS the DF Black in every conceivable way except for size.

The hip-dac has more power. A better-sounding DAC. Better build quality. Balanced and single-ended output. Onboard volume control with a brass knob. Bass boost. IEM power match. An onboard battery that doesn't drain power from your phone, like the DF series.

If given your choice, I would pick the hip-dac 2, even if I was dead, drunk and naked. No contest.

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #234 of 314
I bought just both:
- ifi hip dac 2 and

Hello, from the beginning I can tell you that HipDac 2 will not have any issues in playing MQA. No cracking sounds, no matter the source, PC or smartphone.
The question is do you need MQA? At this point I think that the difference from high quality music in other formats and MQA is marginal and I have some listening time in matter of music.

There is indeed a trend for lots of people to chase the MQA and by any means, go for it, but do not take it as the holy grail of music.
I do not own a AQ stick at this point, but I had one of those in the past - Dragonfly black, for mobile use also.
It was a nice device, but overall HipDac has a more open soundstage and more details as a whole, to keep it simple. I do understand that AQ seems better for portable use, but from the SQ, HipDac is the better device, from my point of view.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #235 of 314
Hi everyone, I need some big advice. I am quite happy with the smartophone (honor 10 has a good dac) and Sony XBA-N3 combination. My question is this, does it make sense to ifi hip dac 2 if I use spotify and iem ?. I am looking for a substantial improvement.Thank you very much

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #236 of 314
Hi everyone, I need some big advice. I am quite happy with the smartophone (honor 10 has a good dac) and Sony XBA-N3 combination. My question is this, does it make sense to ifi hip dac 2 if I use spotify and iem ?. I am looking for a substantial improvement.Thank you very much
Not a good pairing since your iem is already bassy, I would recommend the Fiio Q3.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #238 of 314
@pk4425
best answer ever :)
i laughed a lot :-D
however, still very valuable word in here :p

@alexeyi
thank you,
i don't care about mqa.
it was moe about sound quality overall.
but your answer helps a lot.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #239 of 314
thanks to this forum i was able to update my hip dac v2