iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,411 of 1,594
out of curiosity, i tried connecting my go blu with several overears i've on hand.

the original utopia (4.4mm out), stellia (3.5mm out) sounds very nice and getting to my normal listening level at vol. 65. i think i could happily use these combos enjoying music :relaxed:

i also tested with the most difficult cans i got besides SUS - the Expanse. It actually gets to a normal listening level when the vol went to 100. Yes, dynamic is quite limited and the performance is not lively. this is not what i'd use for normal listening but there's no sign of obvious distortion nor clipping either.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #1,413 of 1,594
I finally found the right one. Neither the BTR5 nor the BTR7 are bad, but they sound exactly the same to me as my old BTR3K. For the money? No! But this little thing? Amazing sound with Fibae 7 Unlimited!

Bluetooth range (LDAC) without problems throughout the apartment (70m2) on the Galaxy S21Ultra.

No hissing.

Attachments

• rsz_20221019_140351.jpg
    rsz_20221019_140351.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,414 of 1,594
I finally found the right one. Neither the BTR5 nor the BTR7 are bad, but they sound exactly the same to me as my old BTR3K. For the money? No! But this little thing? Amazing sound with Fibae 7 Unlimited!

Bluetooth range (LDAC) without problems throughout the apartment (70m2) on the Galaxy S21Ultra.

No hissing.
So glad you are enjoying your GO blu! Thank you for sharing :relaxed:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,415 of 1,594
Any chance a software gain switch is on the horizon in the next 3 weeks? The first post says "To ensure signal strength suits the sensitivity of the connected headphones or earphones, auto-gain adjusts output up or down by 6dB." Is that controlled via software/firmware where a manually controlled gain switch could be added, like maybe 4 presses of the power button and some colored lights? Or is that controlled via analog/hardware and that is why a manual gain control has never been added?

I really like this unit, the tonality, the size, the ability to drive larger headphones. But my primary use case, as is for most I would think based on it's size, is IEMs, and it just hisses too much. It's faint sure, but even when music is playing, it takes away. For example, I was listening to a song with a male gravelly vocal. On other amps, the texture of that voice was all there. On the Go Blu, the gravel was filled in with the faint hiss, and I didn't even now his voice sounded like that until I tried it on another amp.

I have an IEmatch for some desktop things, and it works here, but I would have to buy another for this setup. I don't think we should need to spend another $60 on top of $200 to fix a fault, and it adds to the bulk. Where it really feels like a gain control could achieve the same effect in attenuation.

I also standardize on 4.4, as the connector is more robust and makes it more convient to switch between portable and desktop things. I also like the increased separation that comes with balanced. So, switching to 3.5 isn't really a thing I want to consider.

Like I said, I really like everything else about this unit. But right now, it is going back by 11/11 if the hiss fault can't be addressed with something like a switchable gain setting in a firmware update.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,416 of 1,594
Thanks a lot for your feedback! At the moment I don't have a reply, but your post will be passed on internally, so our tech staff can process it and have some answers. Thanks again!
@iFi audio, any update on this issue? It's been over a month since your last message. Earlier I provided details on how the issue appears to be related to the go blu's USB HID device volume control. Let me know if you need additional information.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #1,417 of 1,594
Any chance a software gain switch is on the horizon in the next 3 weeks? The first post says "To ensure signal strength suits the sensitivity of the connected headphones or earphones, auto-gain adjusts output up or down by 6dB." Is that controlled via software/firmware where a manually controlled gain switch could be added, like maybe 4 presses of the power button and some colored lights? Or is that controlled via analog/hardware and that is why a manual gain control has never been added?

I really like this unit, the tonality, the size, the ability to drive larger headphones. But my primary use case, as is for most I would think based on it's size, is IEMs, and it just hisses too much. It's faint sure, but even when music is playing, it takes away. For example, I was listening to a song with a male gravelly vocal. On other amps, the texture of that voice was all there. On the Go Blu, the gravel was filled in with the faint hiss, and I didn't even now his voice sounded like that until I tried it on another amp.

I have an IEmatch for some desktop things, and it works here, but I would have to buy another for this setup. I don't think we should need to spend another $60 on top of $200 to fix a fault, and it adds to the bulk. Where it really feels like a gain control could achieve the same effect in attenuation.

I also standardize on 4.4, as the connector is more robust and makes it more convient to switch between portable and desktop things. I also like the increased separation that comes with balanced. So, switching to 3.5 isn't really a thing I want to consider.

Like I said, I really like everything else about this unit. But right now, it is going back by 11/11 if the hiss fault can't be addressed with something like a switchable gain setting in a firmware update.
Bump @iFi audio @Rowan94 @Sebastien Chiu
Any chance a manually controlled gain setting is in the works for existing units?

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #1,418 of 1,594
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #1,420 of 1,594
Heyo I noticed my Go Blu lowers the music volume mid song when I listen to Spotify and Apple Music but not Poweramp. Like 20 seconds into the song when the vocals come in there's a noticeable drop in volume. Then when the next song starts it's loud during the intro then quiets down again.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Nvm, found the culprit it was totally unrelated to the Go Blu lol. It was my phone's Dolby Atmos setting

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #1,421 of 1,594
I returned mine. Poorly processed. According to the post, i'm not the first. They used the wrong glue at the factory. Not the battery problem..

Attachments

• 20221020_071612.jpg
    20221020_071612.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_071616.jpg
    20221020_071616.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_071623.jpg
    20221020_071623.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,422 of 1,594
iFi quality :D

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,423 of 1,594
Was really hoping for an update on a controllable gain. Unfortunately it had to go back. Form factor and feature set was great, but the noise floor is just way too high. Was distractingly noticeable on all my IEMs and it really diminished fine detail in music. Maybe a v2 will be better.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #1,424 of 1,594
Was really hoping for an update on a controllable gain. Unfortunately it had to go back. Form factor and feature set was great, but the noise floor is just way too high. Was distractingly noticeable on all my IEMs and it really diminished fine detail in music. Maybe a v2 will be better.
I sold mine as well for the same reason. They could have implemented a software gain but chose not to. Been requesting since it was released. I found a suitable replacement sound wise .. Cayin RU6 . It is ifi go blu turned to 11. I don’t think I will buy anymore Bluetooth based DACs . Ifi go blu such a brilliant device hampered by some annoying niggles and latest QC issues.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #1,425 of 1,594
Buy from Amazon and you will have a return window.
If your not happy send it back.

Playing my Go Blu now though some AK T5P 2nd Gen and loving lt.

I had a Go Blu when they first came out and it had terrible range.
I sent it back and got another many months later and this unit has been perfect.
Very happy with it and enjoy it most days.

You can even update the Go Blu firmware.
Check out IFI website.

Hope you buy one and enjoy it?
It a fabulous little unit.
Hi rocketron,

What was the original bad range and what is the new one?

Mine has a range of about 15ft - would this be considered an okay range for this device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back