iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,366 of 1,588
I might try this. My Go Blu is practically unusable with the crappy BT range, it just collects dust now. iFi is my favorite headphone amp company but this by far my worst experience with the crappy range. It drops signal after 3-5 feet and I can't even keep my phone and device in separate pockets without a constantly droppped signal. And no case or clip. The iFi case they released also sucks. Who picked out the clip for that thing? It's horrible! And it decreases the BT range even more! My device (any of my devices) have greater range with the supplied cables than over BT with the case on. It's really a shame because it is such a fantastic sounding little thing that I wanted to like.
Did you reach out to them as you were collecting dust?

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,367 of 1,588
Hello, Everyone!!
Out of curiosity - I tried using the iFi Go Blu with my iPhone 11 using a lightning to Type C Cable and I notice two things. The Go Blu starts to charge when connected to iPhone, I see the charging light blinking. Another thing is, audio output keeps getting paused on it's own. In case anyone has tried this, can you please help me understand this. (btw, I faced no such issue while using Go Blu with my Samsung S22 Ultra using Type C to Type C cable).. Thanks a lot

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,368 of 1,588
Just joined the club! :beyersmile:

20220814_112257.jpg

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,370 of 1,588
Aug 25, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,371 of 1,588
How does one check if they have a 1st batch or 2nd batch of the ifi Go Blu? Is there a range of serial numbers or something? And does the latest firmware fix the issue? Want to buy one but afraid I get a 1st batch item from a retailer or even 2nd hand.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,372 of 1,588
How does one check if they have a 1st batch or 2nd batch of the ifi Go Blu? Is there a range of serial numbers or something? And does the latest firmware fix the issue? Want to buy one but afraid I get a 1st batch item from a retailer or even 2nd hand.
Buy from Amazon and you will have a return window.
If your not happy send it back.

Playing my Go Blu now though some AK T5P 2nd Gen and loving lt.

I had a Go Blu when they first came out and it had terrible range.
I sent it back and got another many months later and this unit has been perfect.
Very happy with it and enjoy it most days.

You can even update the Go Blu firmware.
Check out IFI website.

Hope you buy one and enjoy it?
It a fabulous little unit.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,373 of 1,588

Ask the iFi fellow on the forum. He will tell you, no doubt. After all, iFi never screws around with their customers :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,374 of 1,588
Dear IFI, currently my device at latest firmware: 3.09.
I would like to clarify a few points about IFI Go Blu and Tidal Windows and Android app compatibility issues:
1. On Windows:
When using TIDAL in Exclusive mode, and changing between MQA and non-MQA tracks, volume could suddenly increase to very high levels, which could damage hearing. As I know, its well-known issue for a while, but wouldn't fixed yet.
If compare IFI GoBlu with Fiio Q3, Fiio Q3 has volume knob also, but device output volume can only be changed with volume knob, and can't be changed from any software.
Maybe you can do the same in IFI GoBlu, just give users an option which prevent volume control from software, give user full control of volume level only with volume knob
I just bought a GO blu and found a similar issue to the one described by @vdim. @iFi audio haven't responded to that, so tagging them here, hoping for a response.
I'm also on the latest firmware version (3.09), and am using Tidal on a PC in exclusive mode (with a USB connection).
The Go blu's volume control seems to affect the PC's system volume control, and each time a new track start the volume jumps to 100%. This make the device unuseable as a USB DAC as I don't want to damage my hearing and/or headphones. I've tried with 'force volume' on and off, and it makes no difference.
I'v done a factory reset of the device and disabled bluetooth on my phone to eliminate any possible conflicts.
As the GO blu has it's own hardward volume control, why isn't this used in USB mode?

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,375 of 1,588
I just picked one up. It’s pretty good for the size and price, but now I noticed that the volume knob feels a bit loose or flimsy, is that normal? Not sure if worth going back to the store to get it exchanged.

Aug 28, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #1,376 of 1,588
Out of curiosity - I tried using the iFi Go Blu with my iPhone 11 using a lightning to Type C Cable and I notice two things. The Go Blu starts to charge when connected to iPhone, I see the charging light blinking.
I have the same issue when connecting via USB to my Hidizs AP80. IFi tech support suggested I connect via Bluetooth, which I understand, but I wish I had the option and it didn't kill my AP80 battery. Tech support didn't seem to think it was an issue or a legitimate concern, but it is to me.

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,377 of 1,588
This is an issue IFI should have addressed long time back .on Android it doesn't even allow you to not allow usb charging with go blu. Having said that Go Blu is less of a dongle DAC more of BT device. It is meant to be used wireless and it sounds pretty good with LDAC. Using it wired sound quality improvement is marginal. IMO there are cheaper dongle DACs that outperform go blu wired. (Moondrop moon river comes to mind so do quite a few chi fi DACs). Go blu is meant to be used wireless and that it does very well. If you are looking for wired DAC few come to mind .. Cayin RU6 which I use for critical listening, it is go blu dialled to 11, ifi go bar , lotoo paw s2 and shanling ua5 ..

So use case for gl blu is to use it wireless not wired.just my 2 cents

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,378 of 1,588
I just bought a GO blu and found a similar issue to the one described by @vdim. @iFi audio haven't responded to that, so tagging them here, hoping for a response.
I'm also on the latest firmware version (3.09), and am using Tidal on a PC in exclusive mode (with a USB connection).
The Go blu's volume control seems to affect the PC's system volume control, and each time a new track start the volume jumps to 100%. This make the device unuseable as a USB DAC as I don't want to damage my hearing and/or headphones. I've tried with 'force volume' on and off, and it makes no difference.
I'v done a factory reset of the device and disabled bluetooth on my phone to eliminate any possible conflicts.
As the GO blu has it's own hardward volume control, why isn't this used in USB mode?
On my ipad and android phone I can use ifi go blu device hardware volume control exclusively. You set source volume to 100% and control using go blu vol knob. On Android you need to enable DVC to do this ..it works but as I have said before go blu is a BT device best used wireless. There are cheaper alternatives for dongle DAC that are better than go blu. Wired is not the use case for go blu IMO

Aug 29, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,379 of 1,588
There is not an official ASIO driver - I would recommend downloading our official USB drivers however, seen here on the bottom left hand corner if you have not already:

https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/
Are you sure there is a USB driver for the GO blu? The driver on the ifi download hub states that it's for XMOS devices, and that the below devices. The GO blu has a Qualcom USB interface.

Supported products
● micro iDAC2
● micro iDSD and BL (see note 5.1 in table)
● nano iDSD, BL and LE
● nano iOne
● Retro Stereo 50
● xDSD
● ZEN DAC

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #1,380 of 1,588

I am also having volume jump issues, but not quite the same as yours. When adjusting the volume sometimes the volume level will jump around sporadically. If I adjust up or down, sometimes it adjusts smoothly as intended. Other times it adjusts in the direction I want it to go, but then jumps backward a little bit. And other times it jumps **significantly** in the opposite direction, often maxing out the volume to ear-splitting levels if I'm using sensitive IEM's

This happens with the go blu connected to a Mac (regardless of whether via bluetooth or USB) and also when connected to an iOS device via bluetooth. It happens both when I am using the physical volume wheel and when I'm using the software volume control on the source device I'm connected to.

It happens quite often, but intermittently, and I can't reliably replicate it or predict when it will happen. Since this can unexpectedly bump the volume up to near hearing-damaging levels with sensitive IEM's (which is the sole use case I bought it for) it's basically rendered this device useless to me, unfortunately.

Does the above sound familiar to anyone? Is it possible my device is defective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back