iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,006 of 1,199
To me Mojo 1 as I don’t have the 2. The Gold Bar is very detailed but also analytical with a small bass boost. I want to know if it’s normal running this on an iPhone. From my memory when I sold my Galaxy S21 Ultra, the bar sounded a little bit fuller and warmer.
Mojo1 should be warmer and more mellow sounding than Mojo2 which I personally found more analytical than Gold Bar.
Gold Bar was even compared to R2R DAP RS6 by some of my friends.
As I mentioned I find Gold Bar more warm and mellow out of IPhones (but also a bit veiled) compared to USB-C sources which I find more reveilling (and not warmer), more dynamic and energetic to my ears.
The filters matter though.
The full Upsampling filter will make the Go Bar more detailed and forward compared to standard to my ears

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,007 of 1,199
Ok
Go Bar has a very powerful Amp (for a Dongle) and SQ wise I find it one of the best on the market (especially the Gold version), that's not the bottleneck for you.
How portable do you want to be?
Is a Dongle a must or is the size of an Ifi Gryphon also suitable for you?
Ugh! I was afraid you would say that about the Go Bar. :dt880smile:

A small dongle is really what I am looking for. Something to place in the pocket with the phone and a bit of slack cable.

I will look into the Gryphon. It doesn’t appear to be too heavy (for me) that form factor would have me drooling for a Mojo 2, methinks. I will also look into the RU7. It appears the RU6 has issues with iPhone as well, so perhaps it would just be the same issue all ‘round for this form factor.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,008 of 1,199
Ugh! I was afraid you would say that about the Go Bar. :dt880smile:

A small dongle is really what I am looking for. Something to place in the pocket with the phone and a bit of slack cable.

I will look into the Gryphon. It doesn’t appear to be too heavy (for me) that form factor would have me drooling for a Mojo 2, methinks. I will also look into the RU7. It appears the RU6 has issues with iPhone as well, so perhaps it would just be the same issue all ‘round for this form factor.
Can be only me but as you could read I feel Dongles lacking on lightning ports and believe me I wished it was different for me as I am a heavy Apple user.
So it comes down to use case.
Better running e.g an A&K DAP with native Roon support and remote control via iPhone just as an example for a TOTL solution.
On-the-go compromise on SQ but very convenient Airpods Pro 2 (much better to my ears than Gen 1).
Or Ifi Go pods with decent IEMs.
With a full size closed back I could anyway only imagine to listen e.g at office where I can use either a slightly bigger device or hook up your Dongle to usb computer port without SQ compromise..

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #1,009 of 1,199
hello, I'm using the 300 Ohms sennheiser hd660s2, do you think the ifi go bar would be a good companion?
Now I am using the fiio ka5 and it falls quite short, I have tried a btr7 that is somewhat more powerful and it already shows some difference

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #1,010 of 1,199
Hello,

I have HD600 and K701 so I am looking for a portable device dac/amp so as to drive properly these cans from my pc and maybe the phone.

After some research I find out the Go Bar and from the review looks promising. For sometime I was convinced that only a device such as Mojo 2 could be a very good solution for my headphones. But it is pricey enough so as to effort. I believe that Go Bar is a bit expensive but anyway.

Does anyone please know if Go Bar is capable to drive correct my cans?

Moreover does worth the price difference between Mojo 2 and Go Bar. Is there audio difference really between these two devices?

Also can Go Bar be connected to an external amplifier such as CanAmp?

I am looking for some time know a more affordable solution so as to balance the cost of Mojo 2 which as i see is a very good dac/amp but pricey enough.

Thanks for all!

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,011 of 1,199
Got this today.

Initially listening with Campfire Andromeda, it introduces noticable distortion and spikiness in the treble region, exact same as the Zen DAC. Switching to the Macbook Pro 16" headphone jack gives a smoother sound and the treble peaks are gone immediately. The Macbook produces a better sound for sure, but maybe that's an unfair comparison. I'll be selling this unit if anyone in the UK wants one.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,013 of 1,199
Aug 12, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #1,014 of 1,199
Aug 12, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,015 of 1,199
I just purchased one of these and it will not stay connected to my iPhone XR nor my wife's iPhone 11 Pro. I got it specifically to use with headphones on the walk to work, so this is a real bummer.
You need to update the firmware on the iFi website firmware hub. The Go Bar will not work at all with any Apple device right out the box. Latest firmware is 4.40

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #1,016 of 1,199
You need to update the firmware on the iFi website firmware hub. The Go Bar will not work at all with any Apple device right out the box. Latest firmware is 4.40
The day I purchased it, I went to the iFi website and used the drop downs to narrow my firmware options. Is this the hub you mentioned? Perhaps not since the latest firmware offered via that route on the iFi website was 2.40 which I installed. If the iPhone isn’t useable until firmware 4.40, then I guess I am out of luck. The iFi Go Bar was been returned to the store I purchased it from and is no longer a concern of mine.

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,017 of 1,199
The day I purchased it, I went to the iFi website and used the drop downs to narrow my firmware options. Is this the hub you mentioned? Perhaps not since the latest firmware offered via that route on the iFi website was 2.40 which I installed. If the iPhone isn’t useable until firmware 4.40, then I guess I am out of luck. The iFi Go Bar was been returned to the store I purchased it from and is no longer a concern of mine.
Sorry, big mistake on my part. The latest firmware is 2.40 not 4.40. Didn’t re read my reply until now. It should’ve worked on your iPhone as it does with my 14 Pro without hiccups. But since you said you returned it, the problem has been resolved there.

Luxury & Precision recently released their new W4 dongle. Hopefully it works with the iPhone as most dongles seem to just not want to comply with the Apple hardware.

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,018 of 1,199
Let's be frank, it isn't like Apple is particularly friendly toward any third-party manufacturer that doesn't participate in its MFi paywall.

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #1,019 of 1,199
Let's be frank, it isn't like Apple is particularly friendly toward any third-party manufacturer that doesn't participate in its MFi paywall.
A mobile phone causes plenty of problems regardless of O/S. RFI, 48 kHz. limits. Sketchy USB implementation. Incompatibilities based on model and the list goes on.
You find the appropriate compromise and then move on. Each OEM is looking to maximize its profit, not bend over backwards for a niche group

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,020 of 1,199
A mobile phone causes plenty of problems regardless of O/S. RFI, 48 kHz. limits. Sketchy USB implementation. Incompatibilities based on model and the list goes on.
You find the appropriate compromise and then move on. Each OEM is looking to maximize its profit, not bend over backwards for a niche group
Well said. Thankfully my use case is only my walking commute to work, which is 40 minutes each way. I was pretty disappointed to realize the drawbacks of the iPhone in terms of my mobile options, but if I accept whatever compromise I land on, I won’t be that heartbroken since my office and home setups are satisfying and relatively uncompromising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back