iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #991 of 1,190
I just purchased one of these and it will not stay connected to my iPhone XR nor my wife's iPhone 11 Pro. I got it specifically to use with headphones on the walk to work, so this is a real bummer.
This occurs when either phone is at full charge?

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #994 of 1,190
Also, please contact our support by starting a ticket here...

https://support.ifi-audio.com/

If the minds here can't offer you a solution at least you have a ticket in to get help!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #995 of 1,190
As a reasonable troubleshooting step, it couldn't hurt to upgrade the firmware (if you haven't already).
Thanks Wolfen. I updated the firmware and now the MQA dot is magenta, so that is a start? But unfortunately it will not connect to my iPhone for more than a second or two (if at all). I will open a support ticket as soon as I can.

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #996 of 1,190
Thanks Wolfen. I updated the firmware and now the MQA dot is magenta, so that is a start? But unfortunately it will not connect to my iPhone for more than a second or two (if at all). I will open a support ticket as soon as I can.
Have you tested USB-C rather than lightning with another source?

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #997 of 1,190
Have you tested USB-C rather than lightning with another source?
Yes, the USB-C works connected to my MacBook Air. Neither iPhones work.

Reading through Head-Fi reveals this has been an issue for over a year now with iPhones. I really wish I would have known that as I wouldn’t have went with dongle DAC compatible with the iPhone.

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #998 of 1,190
Yes, the USB-C works connected to my MacBook Air. Neither iPhones work.

Reading through Head-Fi reveals this has been an issue for over a year now with iPhones. I really wish I would have known that as I wouldn’t have went with dongle DAC compatible with the iPhone.
Hmm, my iPhones work fine regarding connection but... honestly I have to tell you no source powered Dongle I tried so far (L&P W2 or Go Bar) sounded as good out of IPhones compared to USB-C sources.
I realize it each time I connect Go Bar to my IPad Air M1 or Android Phone that the presentation is more dynamic and detailed like a veil is lifted.
Iphone 13 Pro and 11 Pro sound more relaxed and somehow veiled.
Depending on the IEM / headphone, recording that more mellow presentation can be suitable for some people but I started avoiding lightning connections for that reason alone.
My explanation is the different USB specifications for lightning vs usb c where USB C might provide more juice for the Dongle.
Maybe that'll change as soon as new IPhone models will feature USB-C soon...

For battery powered DAPs it's a different story as any iPhone will provide a bit perfect connection for sound only and work like a charm without disadvantages (imho)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #999 of 1,190
Hmm, my iPhones work fine regarding connection but... honestly I have to tell you no source powered Dongle I tried so far (L&P W2 or Go Bar) sounded as good out of IPhones compared to USB-C sources.
I realize it each time I connect Go Bar to my IPad Air M1 or Android Phone that the presentation is more dynamic and detailed like a veil is lifted.
Iphone 13 Pro and 11 Pro sound more relaxed and somehow veiled.
Depending on the IEM / headphone, recording that more mellow presentation can be suitable for some people but I started avoiding lightning connections for that reason alone.
My explanation is the different USB specifications for lightning vs usb c where USB C might provide more juice for the Dongle.
Maybe that'll change as soon as new IPhone models will feature USB-C soon...

For battery powered DAPs it's a different story as any iPhone will provide a bit perfect connection for sound only and work like a charm without disadvantages (imho)
I am glad it works with your iPhone. I take back my comment that the DAC doesn’t work with iPhones. I supposed I assumed that if the lightning connector is included then it would work with lightning devices. I want a DAC to use with my current headphones on my daily walk commute. My iPhone runs Roon ARC and I use a simple Belkin and/or Anker dongle but decided to up the gain by investing in a balanced DAC and purchased a nice 4.4mm cable to match. Now it is a lot of sunk cost with nowhere to currently go. I am a bit weary about troubleshooting this issue when it seems to have been an issue for more than a year with (some) iPhone models. My return window is likely shorter than rolling the dice each time a cable is sent out, etc. not sure yet, as I am still in the remorse stage of this purchase.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,000 of 1,190
I am glad it works with your iPhone. I take back my comment that the DAC doesn’t work with iPhones. I supposed I assumed that if the lightning connector is included then it would work with lightning devices. I want a DAC to use with my current headphones on my daily walk commute. My iPhone runs Roon ARC and I use a simple Belkin and/or Anker dongle but decided to up the gain by investing in a balanced DAC and purchased a nice 4.4mm cable to match. Now it is a lot of sunk cost with nowhere to currently go. I am a bit weary about troubleshooting this issue when it seems to have been an issue for more than a year with (some) iPhone models. My return window is likely shorter than rolling the dice each time a cable is sent out, etc. not sure yet, as I am still in the remorse stage of this purchase.

What is your headphone you want to use on the go?

Aug 8, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,002 of 1,190
Meze Liric. The Belkin and Anker are okay but but could use more gain for added volume and depth. I hoped this would take care of that. I am not looking for a sonic solution to rival my home and office stacks, but reliability is key here.
Ok
Go Bar has a very powerful Amp (for a Dongle) and SQ wise I find it one of the best on the market (especially the Gold version), that's not the bottleneck for you.
How portable do you want to be?
Is a Dongle a must or is the size of an Ifi Gryphon also suitable for you?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,004 of 1,190
Hey guys, do you find the iFi Gold Bar to be revealing/uncolored of the headphones being used? My Focal Clear is very metallic off it and a bit fatiguing vs on the smooth sounding Mojo.
Mojo2 or 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back