iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Dec 15, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #751 of 1,190
Looks awesome!!! ..have tried using iPhone as source for ur go bar.. if yes how fast do they drain battery.
I haven't had bad results with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I wouldn't call it a drain; more like a slow draw. Perhaps when your battery gets older, it may drain more quickly. For the most part, I use the Go Bar with my 2018 iPad Pro and Ipad Mini 6. I am amazed at how little power it seems to use. I have listened for a good 2 1/2 hours and it may have gone down between 10- 15%.

I would think it depends on how "healthy" your iPhone battery is, and that's easy enough to check.

I have used the camera adapter with the power charge, but it is cumbersome and sort of defeats the whole purpose to me.
Nice cases : Do you have a link to the site where you made the purchases?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #754 of 1,190
Happy to say iFi Go Bar joins my favorite dongle list, especially for that flawless MQA unfolding:

Thanks for the review! I am finding the MQA discussion confusing. AFAIK the Go Bar should only support 8X decoding based on the capabilities of the DAC (352.8 or 384 kHz max). Yes, it is a full decoder as opposed to a renderer which is definite plus, but the number of unfolds is a function of the DAC, not the source track. All 44.1 kHz based tracks will play at 352.8 kHz and all 48 kHz based tracks will play at 384 kHz. Also, there is no such thing as DSD MQA.

Perhaps I am wrong and iFi is doing something unusual?

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #755 of 1,190
Received my cases for iFi Gold Bar and Go Bar. Took a bit of work. I had to order a couple of times to get the shipment to the states. Started Nov 2. What do you think?
Looks good! I ordered two as well, a navy blue and black. Will likely sell one of the two on the classified.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #756 of 1,190
Hi guys.. Got my if go bar today.. i have downloaded the 2.2a Firmware ... Not sure how to install the same on the ifi go bar on macbook pro.. Can any one help?
I couldnt find a any tutorial or guide on the same anywhere :)))

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #759 of 1,190
The app
i saw that ,,, but my issue was with 2.20 firmware download i Created a mounted drive in my macos .. after that not sure what to do.. there is no clickable executable i saw....
On the mounted drive there should be an iFi app. You double click on that while the Go Bar is plugged in. Make sure 1.7 and 1.7a have already been updated. If not, start with those.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #760 of 1,190
The app

On the mounted drive there should be an iFi app. You double click on that while the Go Bar is plugged in. Make sure 1.7 and 1.7a have already been updated. If not, start with those.
Thanks mate... that worked..so i was able to install 1.70 -> 2.20 -> 2.2a .. for some reason 1.7a was not getting mounted so didnt install ...hopefully nothing goes wrong !

Also one thing i noted is for CDQuality (24biit\96 khz ) music files in tidal i couldnt find discerning difference between macbook pro m1 headphone jack and using ifi go bar... Hopefully for my windows laptop and iphone i hope there is a difference in sound.. :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #761 of 1,190
Thanks mate... that worked..so i was able to install 1.70 -> 2.20 -> 2.2a .. for some reason 1.7a was not getting mounted so didnt install ...hopefully nothing goes wrong !

Also one thing i noted is for CDQuality (24biit\96 khz ) music files in tidal i couldnt find discerning difference between macbook pro m1 headphone jack and using ifi go bar... Hopefully for my windows laptop and iphone i hope there is a difference in sound.. :)
The MBP M1 has a very good DAC. Differences between good DACs are a bit harder to discern IMO. On an iPhone, the Go Bar makes a difference, and offers important features for me: XSpace (for jazz from the 50s and 60s ), and the subtle XBass, which I use for non-classical music.

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #762 of 1,190
The camera
Good to know.. so it will last for 6 hours approx..if my phone is fully charged..since I have the non pro version of iPhone 11 it might be even less :D.I currently have btr7 was looking for betters sq in portable form factor when I need that oomph.. gryphon was-double the price or else I would have gone for it..

Two more questions I had..
a)Have u used apple camera adapter (the one with usb type c+ usb a)..Have u tried charging ur iPhone using camera adaptor while using the it I go bar…does it work?
(I have heard that setup worked for cabin ru6..)

b)what made go bar attractive for you to buy compared to other portable dacs like Cayn ru6,mojo 2,ifi gryphon,shanling ua5etcc…

Ps:
turbo mode-+6db mode..since the iem I have (dorado 2020) is sensitive I guess I will be using the normal mode..maybe help drain battery lesser..

Thanks for making time to reply!!😊😊
The camera connection kit does not work with go bar and that sucks as I want to be able to plug into power and use it at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back