iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Jun 18, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #331 of 1,190
To be honest this opamp discussion fascinates me a bit.

I have reviewed and changed an opamp in the past (burson audio in the little bear) and I know what a good opamp can do in the sound.

I thought devices like xdsd, xcan and even my marantz amp use opamps but I thought all these small dongles use the dac as an amp. Devices like Dragonfly, btr5, es100 I thought they do not use opamps at all probably due to space and power considerations.

The first time I heard about opamps in such a device is with fiio KA3.

So what is the logic here? There are small opamps now that can be fitted to these small devices(dongles) with minimum effect to battery consumption? Or there were always there and I did not notice?

In any case, even a novice like me can change easily an opamp in little bear or my marantz amp but I can't see how to open and fiddle with these miniature devices unless you are really professional, have professional equipment and you know really what you are doing.

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #332 of 1,190
People who love sound don't all want to open up their gear. Those that do are a minority, and that's OK. Everyone has different ways of doing things.

All I care about is the end result. Does it sound good with my gear. Yes, great. Then I'll sit back on my recliner and listen to my favourite music.

However, where a manufacturer openly wants you to change opamps and makes it very simple , even supplying the tools, then I'll participate in this, as I have done recently. Also the same company was also selling more expensive opamps too. So it's a benefit to them. Again nothing wrong in this.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #335 of 1,190
It might sound better than non gold but not better than Gryphon, isn't that a silly purchase considering weight/features/price?
They sound very close, closer than you think.
Then some people might prefer the form factor, the portability, not having to charge etc.
It all comes down to preferences this is why both products do exist.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #336 of 1,190
Just hooked up the GO Bar gold with the iFi 4.4 to XLR balanced cable to my Quad pre amplifier. I could now disable the +6dB setting, and the sound was even more detailed than before.

It’s just fantastic! Especially with pianos, I love it to hear every sound coming from the pedals.

The triumph of the underdog!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #337 of 1,190
Thanks for your feedback guys, our tech team is on it. In the meantime can you please make sure that:

1. your iPhone's battery is charged well
2. your iPhone has its OS up to date
3. the cable that came with GO Bar is used

Please let us know whether these tips solve the problem, thanks!
1. Yep, tried with fully charged battery
2. It’s up to date
3. Using the cable that came with the Go Bar Gold.

Dead as a parrot on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and my wife’s iPhone 11.

I actually just discovered that it works with the DDHiFi MFi06 cable.

This is inline with what @YellowHatMan posted about not working with the included cable but working with some others…

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #338 of 1,190
Hey Friends,

I went through this thread and, unless overlooked, have not found references to this yet... Has anyone with the iFi Go Bar is experientially familiar with the Lotoo Paw S2 and can share impressions of how they compare in SOUND QUALITY?

(I assume that S2 is the best out there when it comes to features, given its unparalleled complete playback controls, and that it and all others are inferior to the Go Bar when it comes to power output)

Thank you!

I would also add BATTERY POWER CONSUMPTION to the comparison (obviously at a comparable SPL output - not with the Go Bar at its maximum output), perhaps with the Lotoo Paw S2 at its maximum volume vs. the iFi Go Bar set to generate a similar volume.

Thanks to whoever might, hopefully, be able to take on it!

Jun 18, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #340 of 1,190
Hey Friends,

I went through this thread and, unless overlooked, have not found references to this yet... Has anyone with the iFi Go Bar is experientially familiar with the Lotoo Paw S2 and can share impressions of how they compare in SOUND QUALITY [EDIT: and BATTERY POWER CONSUMPTION (under similar listening volume)]?

(I assume that S2 is the best out there when it comes to features, given its unparalleled complete playback controls, and that it and all others are inferior to the Go Bar when it comes to power output)

Thank you!
IGNORE
Apologies - I could not find the first comment and it ended up posted multiple times by mistake... I find no way to delete this comment altogether (so I deleted the text of the comment only).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #341 of 1,190
Has anyone with the iFi Go Bar is experientially familiar with the Lotoo Paw S2 and can share impressions of how they compare in SOUND QUALITY [EDIT: and BATTERY POWER CONSUMPTION (under similar listening volume)]?

Thank you!
IGNORE
Apologies - I could not find the first comment and it ended up posted multiple times by mistake... I find no way to delete this comment altogether (so I deleted the text of the comment only).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #343 of 1,190
A tiny dongle that can drive hd6xx, pretty impressive!

Yes, indeed it can! It can drive much more than just the 6xx.

Is there a way to see the FW version of the GO Bar while being connected to an iPhone (running 15.5)?
In other words: is there an app for that?

Volume synchronisation with the Pi 4 does not work as expected (by me…) The GO Bar starts with a low volume, even when I have Volumio at 100% (hardware mixer) at start up.

Just wondering if this is due to having not the latest FW installed. Currently I have no possibility to update (if needed).

Unfortunately, no - you need access to a desktop or laptop to see what version of firmware you are using.

The Go bar does not have volume sync. It uses it's own volume control independent of the source device.

Gold Go Bar ordered this evening, hopefully here by mon/Tuesday

Looking forward to your thoughts!
To be honest this opamp discussion fascinates me a bit.

I have reviewed and changed an opamp in the past (burson audio in the little bear) and I know what a good opamp can do in the sound.

I thought devices like xdsd, xcan and even my marantz amp use opamps but I thought all these small dongles use the dac as an amp. Devices like Dragonfly, btr5, es100 I thought they do not use opamps at all probably due to space and power considerations.

The first time I heard about opamps in such a device is with fiio KA3.

So what is the logic here? There are small opamps now that can be fitted to these small devices(dongles) with minimum effect to battery consumption? Or there were always there and I did not notice?

In any case, even a novice like me can change easily an opamp in little bear or my marantz amp but I can't see how to open and fiddle with these miniature devices unless you are really professional, have professional equipment and you know really what you are doing.

Op Amps are another deep rabbit hole in this hobby!

Just hooked up the GO Bar gold with the iFi 4.4 to XLR balanced cable to my Quad pre amplifier. I could now disable the +6dB setting, and the sound was even more detailed than before.

It’s just fantastic! Especially with pianos, I love it to hear every sound coming from the pedals.

The triumph of the underdog!

Thanks so much! Glad you're loving it. Underdogs for the win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back