iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #826 of 1,199
Believe it or not, I've never been able to get the GOLD-BAR to work directly connected to the iPhone with the stock IFI cable.
I always had to use the camera kit.
No problem with Android.
Furthermore the GOLD-BAR seems to work perfectly.
Works fine for me with lightning cable that came with it. I am not sure of FW though

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #827 of 1,199
Believe it or not, I've never been able to get the GOLD-BAR to work directly connected to the iPhone with the stock IFI cable.
I always had to use the camera kit.
No problem with Android.
Furthermore the GOLD-BAR seems to work perfectly.
Yep, After all the reports here I’ve been worrying but no issues as long as I am not moving around much. Port stability with that stiff thick cable is mediocre though.
That cable has been built to sit in a straight line between source and dongle. As soon as you bend it inside of your bag or pocket as you need to store your Phone and dongle back2back the cable ends are stressed too much and music stops playing.
For that case I have used my ddhifi usb c cable plus ddhifi lightning adapter flawlessly with dongles like L&P W2 in the past but unfortunately with the Bar it’s not compatible

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #828 of 1,199
My cable is only two weeks old and I am already having problems with the fabric sheathing on the cable. Is this a case for reclamation?
I love the sound of the Goldbar, especially with my Neumann NDH 30, which comes to life with XBass and Space.
Which 2nd market Lightning cables work with the Goldbar?

IMG_7062.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #829 of 1,199
IfI state that the Go Bar always drops back to a low volume when unplugged and reconnected.

Mine is on the latest 2.20A firmware and whether connected to iPhone, iPad Mini 6 (USB-C) or HP laptop the Go Bar will start at the previously set volume and doesn’t drop back. If set at exactly 4 lights for example it will return to exactly the same setting.

How do other folks Go Bar behave in that regard ?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #830 of 1,199
IfI state that the Go Bar always drops back to a low volume when unplugged and reconnected.

Mine is on the latest 2.20A firmware and whether connected to iPhone, iPad Mini 6 (USB-C) or HP laptop the Go Bar will start at the previously set volume and doesn’t drop back. If set at exactly 4 lights for example it will return to exactly the same setting.

How do other folks Go Bar behave in that regard ?

mine also remember the last volume setting.

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #831 of 1,199
mine also remember the last volume setting.

I have my Go Bar connected to a MacBook Pro listening to some power hungry IEM so the volume is set on 5 lights, carefully set so the last button press just lit up the fifth light so I had a reference point. I also turned on XBass and XSpace for good measure.

I unplugged the USB-C into the Go Bar and reconnected it after about 30 seconds.

Both XBass and XSpace were still on and the volume was the exactly the same down the the individual button press.

I then connected the Go Bar to my iPhone X and the exact same settings were saved.

Seems that maybe a firmware change enabled a volume memory that ifI representatives here are not aware of ???

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #833 of 1,199
I have my Go Bar connected to a MacBook Pro listening to some power hungry IEM so the volume is set on 5 lights, carefully set so the last button press just lit up the fifth light so I had a reference point. I also turned on XBass and XSpace for good measure.

I unplugged the USB-C into the Go Bar and reconnected it after about 30 seconds.

Both XBass and XSpace were still on and the volume was the exactly the same down the the individual button press.

I then connected the Go Bar to my iPhone X and the exact same settings were saved.

Seems that maybe a firmware change enabled a volume memory that ifI representatives here are not aware of ???
Screenshot 2023-02-11 172239.jpg

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #836 of 1,199
The wording isn't logical, and there are formatting errors, but there it is

Sorry I don't follow what you are saying.

I can set the volume to anything, 100%, 50%, 10%, and it will return to that volume next time it is plugged in on any device, the Go Bar is remembering the previously volume not a default volume.

They obviously did make volume related changes, that is obvious, I can only assume the changes included remembering a previous volume setting despite that as best I can tell that isn't a logged change.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #837 of 1,199
Sorry I don't follow what you are saying.

I can set the volume to anything, 100%, 50%, 10%, and it will return to that volume next time it is plugged in on any device, the Go Bar is remembering the previously volume not a default volume.

They obviously did make volume related changes, that is obvious, I can only assume the changes included remembering a previous volume setting despite that as best I can tell that isn't a logged change.
I tried my best, and now I will leave it to you. The literature provided by iFi is pretty specific although poorly worded and formatted. If you don't accept their word, then there is nothing left to say other than good luck

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #838 of 1,199
maybe the the different behavior is due to
this phase ‘volume sync on’

the entire IFI documentation seems to me
related to this settings enabled, isn’t it ?

I have the volume sync off, and maybe for this reason that the GOLD-BAR remember the last
volume setting instead to go to the fixed volume
percentage given by IFI documentation.

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #839 of 1,199
I tried my best, and now I will leave it to you. The literature provided by iFi is pretty specific although poorly worded and formatted. If you don't accept their word, then there is nothing left to say other than good luck

The ifI literature talks about default volumes of 50% and 70%, they are not volume settings that the Go Bar boots up at to the best of my understanding and based on my personal observations.

The ifi Literature just doesn't make any mention of a previously used volume setting being saved.

Sorry if my comments came across as doubting or disagreeable in any way, that was not my intent, I just honestly don't understand how you are telling me the ifI comments relate to my query.

That is fine, we will leave it there, thank you anyway.

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #840 of 1,199
maybe the the different behavior is due to
this phase ‘volume sync on’

the entire IFI documentation seems to me
related to this settings enabled, isn’t it ?

I have the volume sync off, and maybe for this reason that the GOLD-BAR remember the last
volume setting instead to go to the fixed volume
percentage given by IFI documentation.

That makes sense, I have volume syncing off as well and obviously you observe the same behavior in respect of a previous volume being saved despite that ifI says that doesn't happen, it pretty obviously does, at least with volume sync turned off.

I don't have any interest in using volume syncing after early problems with that feature on an ifI Gryphon so I have not and will not test the volume behavior in that mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back