iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #482 of 1,190
I have (and very much like) the Cayin RU6 and nonetheless bought a Go bar (regular version, I believe the gold version was almost immediately sold out in the US and the almost $200 premium was probably a bridge too far for me--I'm retired on a fixed income so my unjustifiable expenditures only go so far). Three reasons for the purchase (in no particular order): (1) significantly more power if needed (though I probably really don't); (2) Tidal is my almost exclusive music source and the Go bar has an MQA decoder and the RU6 doesn't (please, no MQA debates here); and (3) I really, really wanted one--and while I can't afford truly premium DACs, amps, headphones, or IEMs, I can afford premium dongles, LOL.

I probably would have added a fourth reason when I bought it--the option to use XBass and XSpace. But for the life of me, I can't detect the slightest difference when engaging just one of those modes, both, or neither. At least on the music I mostly listen to--numerous flavors of rock and folk. I have read that these modes are more subtle on the Go bar than other iFi products (I can't compare, the Go bar is my first iFi device), but sheesh. Either I'm a really crap audiophile, my old ears are truly shot (I'll be 69 in seven weeks), or these modes are extra extra subtle.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #483 of 1,190
So I just picked up a pair of Tin P1 Max and want a truly portable DAC/amp

Im not an IEM guy but now that I’m back in the office I can’t stand not listening to music OTG. I use my Diana Phi with my Diablo at the office but no way I’m using those in public.

How do people use this OTG? A cable between my iPhone then the dongle then the IEM seems inconvenient to stuff in my pockets plus never mind the weight.

Is this mostly used by people exclusively into IEMs and use this as a desktop solution?

Would I better off looking at BT dongle?

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #487 of 1,190
How much better is the gold version?

The biggest difference is in sound signature - the Gold Bar is more full/warm than the standard, and has better kick/impact in the low end along with thicker mids reproduction.

I probably would have added a fourth reason when I bought it--the option to use XBass and XSpace. But for the life of me, I can't detect the slightest difference when engaging just one of those modes, both, or neither. At least on the music I mostly listen to--numerous flavors of rock and folk. I have read that these modes are more subtle on the Go bar than other iFi products (I can't compare, the Go bar is my first iFi device), but sheesh. Either I'm a really crap audiophile, my old ears are truly shot (I'll be 69 in seven weeks), or these modes are extra extra subtle.

Yes, they are more subtle on the Go Bar but should still be noticeable. xBass is more prevalent on a bass light headphone.

So I just picked up a pair of Tin P1 Max and want a truly portable DAC/amp

Im not an IEM guy but now that I’m back in the office I can’t stand not listening to music OTG. I use my Diana Phi with my Diablo at the office but no way I’m using those in public.

How do people use this OTG? A cable between my iPhone then the dongle then the IEM seems inconvenient to stuff in my pockets plus never mind the weight.

Is this mostly used by people exclusively into IEMs and use this as a desktop solution?

Would I better off looking at BT dongle?

The Go Bar does not need an additional OTG cable. Simply connect it using the included lightning > USB C cable and you're good to go!

Just caved in and ordered a demo version of the Gold Bar (no 10 of 1000).

Wow! That's a low serial number!

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #488 of 1,190
Thanks Seb. For the sake of convenience I decided to go for a BT earhook to avoid cable entanglement at cost of sound fidelity.

I do my “serious” listening on my desktop rig anyways. Would be cool to see a similar product from iFi since I really want that X Bass!
The Go Bar does not need an additional OTG cable. Simply connect it using the included lightning > USB C cable and you're good to go!

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #489 of 1,190
Finally got my replacement Gold Bar! It’s a later serial, with some supposed internals tweaking, and it does indeed seems to work perfectly with my iPhone 13 Pro.

Listening on LCD-X right now. S’all good, man.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #490 of 1,190
Finally got my replacement Gold Bar! It’s a later serial, with some supposed internals tweaking, and it does indeed seems to work perfectly with my iPhone 13 Pro.

Listening on LCD-X right now. S’all good, man.
Congratulations!
I'm considering to send my GOld bar to iFi to tweak it or not. Have you noticed some changes of sound signature, compared to the pre-tweaked GOld bar?

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #491 of 1,190
Congratulations!
I'm considering to send my GOld bar to iFi to tweak it or not. Have you noticed some changes of sound signature, compared to the pre-tweaked GOld bar?
Couldn’t say. Pre-exchange, I could only listen from my MacBook Pro, because it wouldn’t work on my iPhone, and I was travelling with my Campfire Audio Cascades. And now, so far, I’ve only listened on my iPhone with my LCD-X. So not exactly a fair test.

I’d exchange/update mine even if I wasn’t using the iPhone though, just to future-proof it a bit. Clearly some components are out of spec (even slightly), so getting it tuned up and tweaked just makes sense, for me.

I bought mine specifically as a travel and around-the-house device. So I plan on using it with my iPhone 90% of the time.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #492 of 1,190
Couldn’t say. Pre-exchange, I could only listen from my MacBook Pro, because it wouldn’t work on my iPhone, and I was travelling with my Campfire Audio Cascades. And now, so far, I’ve only listened on my iPhone with my LCD-X. So not exactly a fair test.

I’d exchange/update mine even if I wasn’t using the iPhone though, just to future-proof it a bit. Clearly some components are out of spec (even slightly), so getting it tuned up and tweaked just makes sense, for me.

I bought mine specifically as a travel and around-the-house device. So I plan on using it with my iPhone 90% of the time.
Thank you very much!!

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #493 of 1,190
I had tried the black version at my local store and I bought the gold version. Both versions sound great. Black version is sound musical and little bit dark toning. The gold version are little transparency and little bit brighter. It works great on my old AAW A3H+. Once I plug it in and I can't believe my A3H+ could deliver that much great sounding form it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back