If you would, look at my music and give me opinions for things under $500
Aug 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Cymbal Monkey

100+ Head-Fier
(note, phones will be driven by an Mamp, and some day a β22 fully balanced)

I mostly listen to Radiohead, Sigur Rós, God Is An Astronaut, Portugal. The Man and Pink Floyd, but almost everything else does get some listing time.

I love the way the K702's look, but I'm reading that they might not be the right choice, and aesthetics are somewhat important for me (I hate Sennheisers!). I want something serviceable, comfortable, sexy, bomb proof and most importantly, amazing sounding. I'd like to stay under $300 but I will go up to $500 if need be.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 41
ATH-M50's would be fine with most music genres... 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 41
Do not even start thinking about the K701 if you aren't going to use an amp. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

Bomb proof? I've read from most reviews that Ultrasone's are very durable. I'm not sure if that is entirely true, having the headband being made entirely of plastic. You really can't take my word of caution though, as I have never owned one. They also look very nice, very expensive might I add. And I've heard the comfort is great too.

Do you *any* ideas of what headphones you might want? Anything below $300 is very broad. I could recommend you many, but you may not take preference to them.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 41
For multi-genre, you can try Shure SRH840, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ohm)
or Denon AH-D2000.
But personally I would recommend you to try the BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ohm),
search around the forum about its review and you'll know...
biggrin.gif

Cheers...
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 41

Quote:
Do not even start thinking about the K701 if you aren't going to use an amp. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

Bomb proof? I've read from most reviews that Ultrasone's are very durable. I'm not sure if that is entirely true, having the headband being made entirely of plastic. You really can't take my word of caution though, as I have never owned one. They also look very nice, very expensive might I add. And I've heard the comfort is great too.

Do you *any* ideas of what headphones you might want? Anything below $300 is very broad. I could recommend you many, but you may not take preference to them.

I will be amping it, no worries there, I still really like the k702, but I think I should try them first, because of their polarizing nature. ATH-AD900 maybe?

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 41
If you will be amping it, then you may not want the AD900. The AD900 don't really benefit from an amp, as the K701's do highly.

The detail in the K701 amped will far surpass the AD900. Although, the AD900 has a fun sound signature that many like.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 41
Grado SR225, HF-1 or RS-1.  They can be had from ~200 - ~450 used and all sound amazing with alternative rock (I own about 1/2 of the albums on your list).  HD600 sound very very nice and can be found for under $300.  They're on yer head and you can't see how ugly they are.  Grados are also ugly but I couldn't keep the women away walking around Montreal with SR225s.  
tongue.gif

Stay away from closed cans unless you really need isolation or are willing to spend over >$700.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 41
Grados will do that music really well. You should be able to get a used Grado rs1. Also, every once in a while you can pick up a d7000 around 500 which also does well.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 41
Grado RS-1. Or get a used HD600 and try it with and without the foam.

Also, what's your source? CDP or a DAC (with your PC) ? That's important, too, in case you're not using any of the better soundcards. Easier to make out he instrument separation, like with Peter Gabriel, with quality D/A conversion.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 41
HD600 can be a good bet, at least it's cheaper than the RS-1, but that one really has all the Grado sound to it, in case that might be your thing. HD600s can be had for less though, although if it's new from an authorized dealer, not by much.

Just to throw in another, way below $500 cans...the AKG K601 is only $150 from TTVJ last time I checked.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 41
Are you anywhere near a good pro-audio store? Great thing about the K701/702 and HD600 is that many proaudio stores sell them, you can listen to them there. Just don't know if they still stock them in the brick and mortar outlets or just on the internet stores. Although where I'm from the chain that distributes and retails AKG also retails Sennheiser pro-gear, but the HD600 is classified as Hi-Fi and is therefore only available in Hi-Fi stores as that other category has a different distribution chain. Just bring your amp and hope their rack-mount CDplayers have RCA jacks, otherwise you'll listen from the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back