If you were to buy a player today, what would it be?
Nov 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 44
Rio Karma

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's still very expensive for me (it's only a bit less than the player itself), and I would need at least two to fit my music collection even coded in Ogg -q5. I think there are 32GB microSD cards, or at least I remember having seen them so I may be wrong.

$50 US is pretty cheap for a 16GB micro SD card, but I see where you're coming from. As for the 32GB, I don't think any 32GB micro SD cards have been released. There are 32GB SD and compact flash cards though, and there's also SD to micro SD adapters.

Quote:

I'll wait until cards are a bit cheaper to buy the Clip+. I'm very happy with my Clip "classic" now, even though I have to "refill" it from time to time (I made a small program that picks a random selection of songs and fills the Clip with them, so it's not a great deal).

Maybe by that time there will be a 16GB or 32GB Clip+ along with a stable Rockbox port
icon10.gif

Quote:

Anyway, does Newegg ship to Spain?

Unfortunately, no. Just the US and Puerto Rico.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #33 of 44
I'm not understanding the D2+ love... resistive touch screen seems so outdated/and possibly an inconvenience, especially in light of the S9. Is it all just because of it's power output and expandability?

That being said I'd buy a S9, if I could stop cowering in fear that Cowon will release something new a week after I buy it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not understanding the D2+ love... resistive touch screen seems so outdated/and possibly an inconvenience, especially in light of the S9. Is it all just because of it's power output and expandability?

That being said I'd buy a S9, if I could stop cowering in fear that Cowon will release something new a week after I buy it.

well, I got my d2+ for less than a hundred dollars.
So it was entirely worth it.
I mean, you really can't argue with 16+ gb of storage, great SQ, and a touch screen (even though it is resistive, it still works fine. ) for that price.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Oh, wow, that is an amazing bargain.

If you were to buy the 16 GB of either (with the D2+ being 50$ cheaper) which would you get?

I know this was not directed at me but I would get the S9 (which is also my answer to the OP's question). I think the upgrade to capacitative, the BBE+ (I never use save for Viva it under normal conditions, but it is very useful when having to output through not so good headphones/speakers), and the beutiful AMOLED screen. However, note that there is not such thing as a D2 capped at 16GB. With the card slot, it has potentially more storage than you could ever need. Just slip some extra cards in the case with it.

The expandability actually may win me over, now that I think of it. Hmm...I love my 32GB S9, but 32GB was enough for portable for me. Plus, at high res OGG (FLAC in portable seems overkill), it holds quite a lot for just a week or two, as I switch around songs every other time I charge or so.

-Nkk

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #37 of 44
For me, it was the same line of reasoning. I have >32GB of music, but the amount I want to have with me wherever I go is much less. Also, I like watching videos on my iPod at night/bus rides, so the AMOLED screen is a no brainer. I'm trying to get a used one right now, but if I can't, I'm going to just go and buy a new one later this month
smily_headphones1.gif

The only little doubt I have is regarding the power output, which is supposedly less than the D2, and requires one to crank the S9 to max volume to get a solid sound.

I've read it in a few reviews/forum[not this one] posts; any truth to it?

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #38 of 44
Zune HD. I've learned to live with only having 20-25GB of music with me on the go, and the size, weight, battery life, and UI of the HD are quite appealing, plus the Zune Pass is stellar.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #39 of 44
I am quite surprised and sorry I hate to say this, but no one here has bought up or mentioned the Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox. Ok its an old player, monochrome screen (big deal!), thicker than most and in some ways it hasnt got the jazz of the other players, but we have forgotten:

1. When it was introduced many yrs ago it was probably one of if not the best
sounding MP3 player on the market and crapping over Ipods in its SQ.

2. It boasts a SNR of 98 decibels, most players today are 90 to 97 decibels

3. It can handle and will take a 120GB HDD plus you can install it yourself.

4. It boasts a removable batt where the user can simply buy and change it
him/herself.

5. Its SQ is very good if not brilliant

6. Its amplifier is probably powerful enought to run or drive 64ohm and over
headphones without the need of an amp.

Yes thats right I have one (40GB) and love it, an oldie but a goldie
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

For me, it was the same line of reasoning. I have >32GB of music, but the amount I want to have with me wherever I go is much less. Also, I like watching videos on my iPod at night/bus rides, so the AMOLED screen is a no brainer. I'm trying to get a used one right now, but if I can't, I'm going to just go and buy a new one later this month
smily_headphones1.gif

The only little doubt I have is regarding the power output, which is supposedly less than the D2, and requires one to crank the S9 to max volume to get a solid sound.

I've read it in a few reviews/forum[not this one] posts; any truth to it?

At the moment, the D2+.

because I only listen to music, not watch movies, so the screen would be good enough for me, and it's already got basically the same SQ as the S9.
But when they put out the next version of the S9 in a year or two, hopefully with an expandable card slot (look inside an opened up S9, there's definitely room for it. ) then I'll be all over it.
It's mostly the expandability that gets me.
I have a ton of different 8 gig cards that I slip in whenever I need a change.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #41 of 44
Yeah, this is a really good point. I'm having doubts about buying the 32GB, as I don't want to find myself regretting the purchase, like I kind of am with my iPod Touch 8GB (even though I got it for 120$).

I'm really hoping Cowon makes this easier for me by either having a sale or making a S9v2 with some minor upgrades (like possibly a 64GB or cardslot) for the holidays
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite surprised and sorry I hate to say this, but no one here has bought up or mentioned the Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox. Ok its an old player, monochrome screen (big deal!), thicker than most and in some ways it hasnt got the jazz of the other players, but we have forgotten:

1. When it was introduced many yrs ago it was probably one of if not the best
sounding MP3 player on the market and crapping over Ipods in its SQ.

2. It boasts a SNR of 98 decibels, most players today are 90 to 97 decibels

3. It can handle and will take a 120GB HDD plus you can install it yourself.

4. It boasts a removable batt where the user can simply buy and change it
him/herself.

5. Its SQ is very good if not brilliant

6. Its amplifier is probably powerful enought to run or drive 64ohm and over
headphones without the need of an amp.

Yes thats right I have one (40GB) and love it, an oldie but a goldie
jecklinsmile.gif

There is nothing wrong with the Jukebox SQ - one of the guys at work has one - but the amp just doesnt have enough grunt for me. The X, on the other hand, shows you what DAP makers can do with a digital amp if they are prepared to go the extra mile.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing wrong with the Jukebox SQ - one of the guys at work has one - but the amp just doesnt have enough grunt for me. The X, on the other hand, shows you what DAP makers can do with a digital amp if they are prepared to go the extra mile.

I have found the amp on the Zen Xtra Jukebox Nomad to be quite powerful and infact more louder than my Sansa Fuze and Cowon iAudio 6 infact I find all my Zens to be the more powerful units/MP3 players.

I dont know, probbaly you like your music loud, but thats your personal wish and I have nothing against that.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #44 of 44
Sonys and Cowons for excellent sound plus good sound enhancements/equalizers and battery life. Clip+ for minimal size, very good sound quality, and SDmicro slot (but crappy equalizer and battery life).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back