If you were to buy a player today, what would it be?
Nov 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

panda-R

Head-Fier
FIRST POST!

So what would it be and why?

For me, I strongly considered the Sony X1060... loved the SQ the first time i heard it. However it's too pricey. Thinking S9+AMP instead...

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 44
Sansa Clip+ for me, no doubt. Excellent SQ, small size, plays FLAC and Ogg, supports UTF-8 tags and supports microSD cards.

The only drawback I see, right now, is that the price of 16GB and 32GB microSD cards is still high, otherwise I would use a Sansa Clip+ as my only source.

Currently I have a Sansa Clip "classic", not the + version. It doesn't support microSD, a pity, because it is the best player I've ever had!.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 44
A 16GB iPod nano.
Simply because I like the small form factor and do not need higher storage capacity. My 1G iPod nano is into it 5th year, so it is about time I replace it...

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 44
A 120GB iPod Classic. I'm close to ordering one since my 30GB is running out of space.

The iPod is good enough. No portable can touch vinyl or SACD, so I look for one that's reasonably priced, reliable and is convenient to operate. Sound quality isn't hugely important to me in a noisy environment, like an airplane, train or through the car stereo. The only time I can truly focus on music is at home, where I can spin black discs and play them on the Quads or through a tubed headphone amp. I'd rather put an emphasis on quality where I will get the most use.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa Clip+ for me, no doubt. Excellent SQ, small size, plays FLAC and Ogg, supports UTF-8 tags and supports microSD cards.

The only drawback I see, right now, is that the price of 16GB and 32GB microSD cards is still high, otherwise I would use a Sansa Clip+ as my only source.

Currently I have a Sansa Clip "classic", not the + version. It doesn't support microSD, a pity, because it is the best player I've ever had!.

You really dig it that much? I'm looking for a replacement to my AMP3. Most people seem to casually mention the SQ being good, but nothing about it being exemplary. I did have an s9 briefly, and it was nice in terms of SQ

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really dig it that much? I'm looking for a replacement to my AMP3. Most people seem to casually mention the SQ being good, but nothing about it being exemplary. I did have an s9 briefly, and it was nice in terms of SQ

Regarding SQ, it is the best player I've heard, just behind my old X5, but I haven't heard a great deal of portable players: some iPod's, Cowon X5 and D2, some el-cheapo players, Creative Zen Stone (and maybe another couple of Creative models, I don't remember which ones), Sansa Fuze and Sansa View, and a Samsung model (I don't remember which one).

Of course SQ is a very subjective matter, and I haven't done any scientific test, but in my humble opinion my clip sounds much like the Cowon D2. I have the feeling that my old X5 sounded better, but I don't have any proof
wink.gif

In my *opinion*, the Sansa beats all the other ones I've tested because it sounds great and is very cheap. I'm sure that there are lots of better players out there, but not many for 8GB @ 50-60 euros sounding that great.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 44
Probably the Clip+. I don't really like the idea of carrying an expensive HDD-based DAP with me everywhere I go, I would rather have something cheap that wouldn't be too risky to lose. The Fuze I have currently serves me pretty well, although I wish it had gapless support.

That being said, if the 160gb iPod had support for Rockbox..
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 44
iriver h140 :) Unless another DAP has LCD remote, Rockbox, digital out, and 120GB capacity. 160GB limitation is really annoying now I'd want a 250GB so plenty of space for highish bitrate OGG VBR, entire lib plus with space left.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 44
Zune HD 32, because you can customize it, sounds great, and good capacity, and is very rugged. It has also the best screen, and a great UI.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 44
you know this is a question I ask myself every weekend... what else can I buy just for the sake of buying things. (or is that a different Q?
beerchug.gif
) and I've got a lot of answers hypothesized.

strictly right here right now: if I only have the budget for one device, the ipod touch.Or if I'm going to be holier-than-thou, the cowon s9. Just so nobody can say my player sounds "inferior"
popcorn.gif

I have a troubled history with the Clip, and the Clip+ is sadly not a readily available thing in town, maybe next week I'll buy it in my mind
duggehsmile.png

if I lived in the US: I might be willing to bend over open and wide for the X1060 cause it costs $200 less over there, it's actually priced *normally*.

If I can go back in time: Sony MS90D, when minituarization was still a status symbol. And the 4G ipod nano, it's the cutest nano of all (I know I know, merkins can still get refurbs).

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 44
Probably the iMod, just to see what all the fuss is about and to have a baseline, if and when I finally get my hands on the ND-S1. For genuinely portable use, I'll stick with the Sonys I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back