If you wanted hard-to-drive headphones...
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #46 of 62
The RME DACs are very musical (at least the AKM I have is) and they have tons of features. But they're fiddly and can be annoying to use since they're so light, you need two hands to operate it. The remote is good and helps, but not for everything.

The RME headamp is just ok. I don't like it for HD 600s, for LCD-2C it works great.
I started to have my doubts if I need a £1k DAC after I posted :D I can't find any used nearby and brand new are bloody expensive. I might wait with any purchases until I know more about Tungsten's. I had to buy a robot vacuum yesterday and they are not cheap too. Price of a good DAC :rolling_eyes:

I think I have watched all of RME ADI-2 reviews there are :) Quite a few people commented that it is a good DAC but the headphone amp part is not great. I'm in two minds at the moment.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #47 of 62
Probably the cheapest available production headphone that would give your amp a workout is the DT 880, 600 ohm version. It's a dynamic, it's light and comfortable. There is a big thread here for it.

Love mine.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #49 of 62
Is spending a £/$ 1000 on a DAC is madness when my amp is worth half as much?
Many people can not buy everything at once. You have to spend your money where you get the best value and eventually you will either go broke or "get there." :)

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #50 of 62
Many people can not buy everything at once. You have to spend your money where you get the best value and eventually you will either go broke or "get there." :)
I don't know about 'getting there' :wink: but I keep fighting with my thoughts about upgrading my audio equipment. I'm happy with what I've got and yet I keep thinking about upgrading <facepalm>

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #51 of 62
I think it's best to just ride the wave. The more you know your current setup the easier it will be to tell if something else makes a positive difference, a negative difference, or essentially no difference. It's easy to get into a constant upgrade thrash that brings nothing but disappointment and credit card bills and possibly a 2nd or 3rd job if you try to push it.

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #52 of 62
I think it's best to just ride the wave. The more you know your current setup the easier it will be to tell if something else makes a positive difference, a negative difference, or essentially no difference. It's easy to get into a constant upgrade thrash that brings nothing but disappointment and credit card bills and possibly a 2nd or 3rd job if you try to push it.
I know my current setup quite well. I've had it, without any changes, for the past 4 or 5 years. I don't upgrade often. Once I'm happy with something I keep using it. So I don't have any need for upgrading anything. Everything works well (apart from one slight problem with my headphones), I take care of my gear. And yet I keep looking at it and wondering if I shouldn't upgrade something and if so which component requires my attention first. I think I'm getting bored with my current setup :)

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #53 of 62
Upgrades don't have to be only sound quality. They could be build quality, functionality, connectivity etc.

Sometimes boredom is good though. If you're happy with the sound you can save a lot of time and money.

Otherwise as I think @msing539 said earlier, try to attend some meets, or go to shops with some music you know very well on a disk or USB drive and go fishing :)

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #54 of 62
I know my current setup quite well. I've had it, without any changes, for the past 4 or 5 years. I don't upgrade often. Once I'm happy with something I keep using it. So I don't have any need for upgrading anything. Everything works well (apart from one slight problem with my headphones), I take care of my gear. And yet I keep looking at it and wondering if I shouldn't upgrade something and if so which component requires my attention first. **I think I'm getting bored with my current setup** :)
** … perfectly natural for a true Head-Fier … Note: headphone audio setup =/= spouse 😳🤣

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #55 of 62
** … perfectly natural for a true Head-Fier … Note: headphone audio setup =/= spouse 😳🤣

My wife said she wanted a new baby stroller... I said we've only got two little kids and you have a double and a single already. How many strollers do you need???

Then she asked, "How many headphones do YOU need?"

And now we have four strollers.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #56 of 62
My wife said she wanted a new baby stroller... I said we've only got two little kids and you have a double and a single already. How many strollers do you need???

… so now you can double your headphone ‘portfolio’!! 👍😝

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #57 of 62
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #58 of 62

Don't forget the Surround Sound option, it's pretty easy to upgrade at the stroller dealer.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #59 of 62
Upgrades don't have to be only sound quality. They could be build quality, functionality, connectivity etc.

Sometimes boredom is good though. If you're happy with the sound you can save a lot of time and money.

Otherwise as I think @msing539 said earlier, try to attend some meets, or go to shops with some music you know very well on a disk or USB drive and go fishing :)

I keep checking used market to see what's on offer. If I find something interesting, I go check reviews, think about it for a while and then decide to give it a miss. (I check DACs, headphone amps and sometime headphones too, but I'm still waiting on more info about Tungsten's).

I think if I was to upgrade it really would have to be a worthy upgrade. There is no point buying similar quality units to what I have already. But on the other hand, I look at prices of various expensive units, scratch my head and ask myself 'do I really want to spend that much?'. I'm yet to find something that really tempts me when it comes to quality and price.

My missus gave up on my purchases long ago. She buys stuff she wants, I buy stuff I want. It seems to be working well. Her wardrobe is full to the brink and yet she keep buying more and more. At this point, you could dress a few dozen ladies from one wardrobe. I, on the other hand, rarely tell her what I buy. What's the point, I know very well what she is going to say.... the same thing I tell her when courier comes in every week with another few boxes for her :D

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #60 of 62
At this point, you could dress a few dozen ladies from one wardrobe.

The solution seems simple here: Ask her how she feels about sister wives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back