If you wanted hard-to-drive headphones...
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

HiFiRebel

100+ Head-Fier
... and had a powerful headphone amp, what would you get?

I have Emotiva A-100 BasX amp with jumpers installed, so 50 watts per channel (@8 Ohms) going directly from speaker output to headphone output.

I don't need new headphones, but if I did :wink: what should I get? I like my sound warm with good bass. I'm thinking planar magnetic headphones. Budget is not important at this stage, but I also don't want to go crazy.

Headphones need to be really hard to drive, this is very important. I have plenty of power and anything easy to drive will be a barbecue.

What are good headphones you would buy in similar situation?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 62
Hifiman HE6 OG, HE6SE v2, or the Mod House Tungsten. I've run the first two on the A2m.

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 62
Beyer DT 880 600 ohm version is fairly hard to drive.

By the way, if the output is linear to 50 ohms or so (which is unlikely) that's only 8 watts. People are driving HE6 variants with multiple hundred watt speaker amps. Not that you need that, just to note 8W / channel for some of the Hifimans is still not unquestionably the high limit for all music.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 62
Yeah, to @gimmeheadroom ... the A2m was enough for the HE6SE v2. The OG 6 could take more.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 62
Beyer DT 880 600 ohm version is fairly hard to drive.

By the way, if the output is linear to 50 ohms or so (which is unlikely) that's only 8 watts. People are driving HE6 variants with multiple hundred watt speaker amps. Not that you need that, just to note 8W / channel for some of the Hifimans is still not unquestionably the high limit for all music.
Thank you @msing539 and @gimmeheadroom

I'll check the recommendations you mentioned.

Here are the power outputs for the amp.

Basically it's modded to send full power to the headphone out.

I currently use Modhouse Argon Mk3's, which are fairly hard to drive, but only use a fraction of the power. Anything more than 25% on the volume know is already too loud.

Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

I might be making a mistake thinking I need hard to drive headphones, but that was the impression I got. With my current headphones the amp doesn't even break a sweat.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 62

I currently use Modhouse Argon Mk3's, which are fairly hard to drive, but only use a fraction of the power. Anything more than 25% on the volume know is already too loud.

Yes, jumpered direct drive to the headphone jack--I'm familiar with your amp. The A2 Mini is also made by Emotiva... while the headphone jack does put out full power, I used the Hifiman HE Adapter which converts the speaker taps to balanced XLR. Some also do it with a cable, banana plugs to XLR.

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 62
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 62
Yes, jumpered direct drive to the headphone jack--I'm familiar with your amp. The A2 Mini is also made by Emotiva... while the headphone jack does put out full power, I used the Hifiman HE Adapter which converts the speaker taps to balanced XLR. Some also do it with a cable, banana plugs to XLR.
Yes, that's correct :)

Power-loving (470 Ohm), super light and comfortable, wonderful natural timbre: ATH-R70X

Not overbearingly warm but not coldly analytical either : just the music. Bass claims to go down to 5Hz if you want to EQ that up, but I'm fine with the built-in tuning.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Try Thomann.de for the best price unless Brexit has messed things up.
Thank you, the price isn't too bad for these. I'll check some reviews. Also I like that website (Thomann), I wasn't familiar with it, but checking other recommendations mentioned in this thread, they don't have any of them :frowning2:

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 62

There is a big difference in how much power headphones need for average passages. But for music that has quiet parts and loud parts (jazz, classical, others) there could be a requirement for many magnitudes more power for very short times. That's why amps with enough horsepower matter.

I might be making a mistake thinking I need hard to drive headphones, but that was the impression I got. With my current headphones the amp doesn't even break a sweat.
You don't need them. But you can drive them if you want :)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 62
There is a big difference in how much power headphones need for average passages. But for music that has quiet parts and loud parts (jazz, classical, others) there could be a requirement for many magnitudes more power for very short times. That's why amps with enough horsepower matter.

You don't them. But you can drive them if you want :)
Thanks! What would be the sweetspot for the amp. Something like 300 Ohm headphones?

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 62
Thanks! What would be the sweetspot for the amp. Something like 300 Ohm headphones?
It's really hard to know, because the impedance is not even the major factor in how loud headphones or speakers can get. Efficiency, which is how loud they get per milliwatt (usually, there are other baselines) can have much more influence on power requirements.

300 ohm Sennheisers generally do very well with power around what you listed. HE6SE V2 are the best buy in the headphone world right now and your amp should do fine with them. As long as you stay away from low impedance/high efficiency cans like Focal you should be ok. And probably buying headphones based on amp specs is not the best approach. You have to consider what sound qualities are important to you, and there is also build quality, comfort, so many things to factor-in.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 62
It's really hard to know, because the impedance is not even the major factor in how loud headphones or speakers can get. Efficiency, which is how loud they get per milliwatt (usually, there are other baselines) can have much more influence on power requirements.

300 ohm Sennheisers generally do very well with power around what you listed. HE6SE V2 are the best buy in the headphone world right now and your amp should do fine with them. As long as you stay away from low impedance/high efficiency cans like Focal you should be ok. And probably buying headphones based on amp specs is not the best approach. You have to consider what sound qualities are important to you, and there is also build quality, comfort, so many things to factor-in.
Thank you, I appreciate the detailed explanation.

Yes, I know I ask the wrong kind of question here. But I would like to find headphones that would work really well with my amp. I would like to use the amp as it was intended to and let it use its full potential. I plan to do research as well of course. So watch reviews, see what others think about it, check availability, price, etc. before making any decisions. I don't plan to buy something just because it has certain impedance. I just want it to be the starting point to my research. And I usually do quite a bit of research before any purchase. This is only meant to collect names of headphones that would work well with the amp.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 62
Thank you, I appreciate the detailed explanation.

Yes, I know I ask the wrong kind of question here. But I would like to find headphones that would work really well with my amp. I would like to use the amp as it was intended to and let it use its full potential. I plan to do research as well of course. So watch reviews, see what others think about it, check availability, price, etc. before making any decisions. I don't plan to buy something just because it has certain impedance. I just want it to be the starting point to my research. And I usually do quite a bit of research before any purchase. This is only meant to collect names of headphones that would work well with the amp.

For the money, the HE6SE V2 is basically a no-brainer. They're a wonderful pair of headphones with speed and agressive mids that are great for vocals and guitars but never become strident. Most people who were disappointed didn't have enough amp. I find them very uncomfortable because of the combination of single headstrap and weight (but that's not specific to these headphones) but that can be solved with pads or some kind of wrap, and many people find them perfectly comfortable. Due to the price I would guess they're the best answer to your question. If you're in America you should be able to get a pair new in box for around $500. Adorama has been blowing them out for years, don't get ripped off by paying significantly more than that.

Oops, sorry, I see you're in the UK. I don't know if Hifiman has an online store for UK but that would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 62
For the money, the HE6SE V2 is basically a no-brainer. They're a wonderful pair of headphones with speed and agressive mids that are great for vocals and guitars but never become strident. Most people who were disappointed didn't have enough amp. I find them very uncomfortable because of the combination of single headstrap and weight (but that's not specific to these headphones) but that can be solved with pads or some kind of wrap, and many people find them perfectly comfortable. Due to the price I would guess they're the best answer to your question. If you're in America you should be able to get a pair new in box for around $500. Adorama has been blowing them out for years, don't get ripped off by paying significantly more than that.

Oops, sorry, I see you're in the UK. I don't know if Hifiman has an online store for UK but that would be a good place to start.
Thank you!

From what I can gather from my quick research they are much more expensive in Europe than the $500 you mentioned. Amazon lists them for £700 for example. That's a bit more than I wanted to spend initially. But I'll keep them on the list and check other recommendations first. Then I'll make the decision :)

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 62
Thank you!

From what I can gather from my quick research they are much more expensive in Europe than the $500 you mentioned. Amazon lists them for £700 for example. That's a bit more than I wanted to spend initially. But I'll keep them on the list and check other recommendations first. Then I'll make the decision :)
I paid $699 from the Hifiman Euro store so at least I didn't have to pay VAT again or customs fees. After Brexit things got a lot more complicated. Anyway in the UK that 700 UKP is not so different from what I paid. I did feel bad when the guys in America can buy them on sale for $499 or even better during sales, I certainly got my money's worth.

The other headphone you might consider is the HD 660 S2 which from all accounts is nothing like the 660 S but rather an evolution of the 600. They are 300 ohm cans which have perfect tonality but are not so impactful. Depending on your taste in music these could also be a good choice at a lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back