If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,136 of 19,246
Yes.  For the price, it's a great combo and the bass boost is nice welcome on selected tracks.  I had this combo with a SGS. Your wallet and ears will thank you.  You may want to swap out the OPA2227 op amp for AD8620 if you end of finding the former too warm or musical.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #3,137 of 19,246

eek.gif

Here's what just happened after I read this...

*Fishes out MH1c*

*Listen to a few tracks*

*Laugh*

*Put MH1c back in box*

*take another sip of rum*

Gnarlsagan is using a MH1 which is guaranteed a clean version, most MH1Cs have a bass issue.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,138 of 19,246

eek.gif

Here's what just happened after I read this...

*Fishes out MH1c*

*Listen to a few tracks*

*Laugh*

*Put MH1c back in box*

*take another sip of rum*

Gnarlsagan is using a MH1 which is guaranteed a clean version, most MH1Cs have a bass issue.

Yes, I've read that too.  Even with a good set the mh1c had slightly more bass and slightly less treble.  The mh1 seems to be the way to go if you can't afford the er4s. :wink:

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,139 of 19,246
  Yes.  For the price, it's a great combo and the bass boost is nice welcome on selected tracks.  I had this combo with a SGS. Your wallet and ears will thank you.  You may want to swap out the OPA2227 op amp for AD8620 if you end of finding the former too warm or musical.

I noticed you said, "for the price."  What other amps would you suggest that are worth more money that are mobile in nature, i.e. I can carry it around without it being a complete nuisance?

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,140 of 19,246
Well the the price various greatly. The C421/C5 works well with Etys as well as the 2Step/Quickstep (best I've heard in a portable amp with the ER4S).  Haven't owned the Arrow or Pico Slim, but from what I've read, it might be a good match especially if size/portability is important. For others, you're going to have to search for them here and there and make your own assessment. Refinement and features has its costs. The amps I've mentioned costs 3-7 time of the JDS Cmoy.

One of the beauties of the ER4S is its nature to respond very well with upward scalability and to really bring out the emotion in the music.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3,141 of 19,246
  Well the the price various greatly. The C421/C5 works well with Etys as well as the 2Step/Quickstep (best I've heard in a portable amp with the ER4S).  Haven't owned the Arrow or Pico Slim, but from what I've read, it might be a good match especially if size/portability is important. For others, you're going to have to search for them here and there and make your own assessment. Refinement and features has its costs. The amps I've mentioned costs 3-7 time of the JDS Cmoy.

One of the beauties of the ER4S is its nature to respond very well with upward scalability and to really bring out the emotion in the music.

have a c5 and think it is amazing with the er4s.  By far the best combo i've heard personally.  I haven't heard the arrow, but I've read good things about it, and the multi point bass boost might be nice with the er4s if you're into that sort of thing.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #3,142 of 19,246

have a c5 and think it is amazing with the er4s.  By far the best combo i've heard personally.  I haven't heard the arrow, but I've read good things about it, and the multi point bass boost might be nice with the er4s if you're into that sort of thing.

Sorry if you have already covered this. But have you heard the C&C? I'd be interested to hear how it stacks up against the C5 with the ER4.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #3,143 of 19,246
Sorry if you have already covered this. But have you heard the C&C? I'd be interested to hear how it stacks up against the C5 with the ER4.

I've tried ER4S with BH amp.

Look, I think it's decent in the manner that it colours the sound in a positive way, and increases the soundstage, but I couldn't help feel the little C&C smoothed over the detail extension to much. For someone like me who uses Studio V as a source with my Ety the little BH amp took away that raw detail the hisound DAP provides me. With my Studio and ER4S vocals extend so far they almost touch your soul with detail and the little amp took a percentage of that away.

So I'll go ahead and say it's decent enough but won't actually extract more detail from them (with ER4S). Tralucent T1 amp would be better choice, however, I haven't heard C5.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,144 of 19,246
I've tried ER4S with BH amp.

Look, I think it's decent in the manner that it colours the sound in a positive way, and increases the soundstage, but I couldn't help feel the little C&C smoothed over the detail extension to much. For someone like me who uses Studio V as a source with my Ety the little BH amp took away that raw detail the hisound DAP provides me. With my Studio and ER4S vocals extend so far they almost touch your soul with detail and the little amp took a percentage of that away.

So I'll go ahead and say it's decent enough but won't actually extract more detail from them. Tralucent T1 amp would be better choice, however, I haven't heard C5.

Thanks. Good points in there well taken.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3,145 of 19,246

Thanks. Good points in there well taken.

C&C is really more about adding some coloration and euphoric sound to your earphones, so while it does add magic with certain pairings something like ER4S (which to me are about neutrality and pure detail extraction) kind of puts a cap on them. I have other IEM's C&C pairs wonderful with however ER4S/BH seem to clash or work against each others positives, all personal preference though and highly depends on what you've heard because ER4S / Studio V is a golden pairing in my eyes, sounds rather analytical, bright more like dissecting music or listening under a microscope. The trade off is it can almost sound a little clunky or mechanical at times. I really just use it for my fix of detail because it smacks you in the face like a train. 

Good fun trying different tracks trying to achieve that last edge of detail from vocals. 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3,148 of 19,246

Hi guys i was thinking to buy ER4S, what amp do u recommend me ? im thought about JDSLabs C5. Cheers.

I say get the ety first and see how you like it from your smartphone or dap you have now. You might just like it enough as is and save a few hundred bucks. I like it best on my quickstep but use it mostly just from my iPhone.

Definitely get the er4s first with no amp.  If you really find something specific is wrong with it the C5 is an amazing amp.  Although they just released a c5/dac combo if you're into that.  If you're computer or ipod device has a poopy sound dac that would be a good way to go.  But I run my er4s straight from my sansa players all the time.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #3,149 of 19,246
One more here on ER4 family.

I wanted something to complement my SM3's but completely different, I hope they stay friends. :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #3,150 of 19,246
  One more here on ER4 family.

I wanted something to complement my SM3's but completely different, I hope they stay friends. :)

I would consider that a fairly complimenting pair to own. Just allow some adjustment period (10-15 minutes between each one) 

As you're leaning on two slightly different sides of the tonality spectrum,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back