If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,121 of 19,246

The 272 has a very small increase in mid bass quantity and is a good bit brighter, with less even FR in the treble. The 272, to my ears, has more of that so called audiophile hifi sparkle. It's a very nice iem that has very good bandwidth but overall falls a good bit short of the ER-4S. (My personal favorite Hifiman iem is the 262.)

Regarding the mh1c- meh. Serious bass differences from production runs. I eq'd my set down -12db in sub bass and it was STILL bassy. After eq it was decent but I gave it away and kept the tips.

I highly recommend picking up one of the remaining pairs on amazon for $20. It must be from a good run because I'm hearing exactly what luisdent is describing, and we bought it from the same place. I'm going to write a review as well, but preliminary results put the mh1 up with the absolute best I've heard. Over the UERM, over the F111, anything really. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but I am quite serious.

The pair I have now has emphasized but NOT overly emphasized bass. If anyone follows my impressions they'll know that I have a very low tolerance for flabby bass, and even a lower tolerance for bass that even remotely leaks onto the mids. I find the the mh1 has not to leak into the mids at all. Bass around 125Hz is only about 2-3dB over what I'd consider to be excellent. I have the ASG-2, GR07 BE, Quadbeat 2, and cn40 at my disposal right now, and the mh1 sounds flatter, clearer and more accurate than all of them to my ears. It really is an accomplishment imo. Besides slightly emphasized bass, I'm not sure I can find any other fault with the sound of these things. And believe me I'm looking.

For the record luisdent and I have the mh1, not the mh1c. The mh1 is the one on sale for $20 on amazon, and it only works with specific phones or players. It does not work on the Fuze, but it does work on the uha.6s mkII. Its because the older mh1's connector was made to work only with OMTP connections that certain Sony phones have, and the newer mh1c was updated to work with newer CTIA connections. I just run my fuze to the uha with no issues.

My thoughts exactly.  I eq the 120hz area down about 3.5-4db with a medium q value.  2.5q on the fuze to be exact.  I've read all of rin's page on the mh1 and all I can say is that it is absolutely not bass heavy.  Yes, it has more bass than neutral, but it is in no way a bass boosting earphone.  It is a very flat earphone with just a bit more bass than neutral.  The good thing about the bass is that it is mostly sub bass boost.  As gnarlsagan said, it doesn't really bleed into the mids.  I can't stand that either.  As you can tell from my er4s eq I use (only boosting at and below roughly 50-60hz), I can't stand mid bass bloat either.  Not even a little.  It masks treble more than anything.  Maybe we were lucky, but I would guess that because humans are less sensitive to low bass maybe it just doesn't sound bad like mid bass does.  I'm not sure.  I just know that if I cut 120hz by 3.5db I get a very very very flat iem.  If I cut the bass 12db it would be less bass than the er4s on my pair.  I would definitely grab a set from the seller on amazong global mobile or something like that for $20.  Hell, if you don't like them you can sell them for that probably.

I wouldn't call them a replacement for the er4s though.  They are simply a compliment.  They sound different, but very good.  I would place them above the f111 in most cases.  I really wish people could hear the f111 with the fit/depth I heard them with.  They were a beast to be challenged with that's for sure.  But the mh1 wins hands down in the "typical" f111 fit no question.

Anyway, check out the mh1 thread for more info and I'll be posting a review soon.  Otherwise,  ON WITH THE ER4S!  .......  :)

Did I mention I love the er4s cable?  The mh1 cable really does suck.  Not the "J" style, but it's just microphonic and hard to quickly wrap to store in a case because of the odd flat shape where it splits.  But I digress...

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #3,122 of 19,246
This thread is scary. A bit repetitive sometimes, but scary.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,125 of 19,246
I highly recommend picking up one of the remaining pairs on amazon for $20. It must be from a good run because I'm hearing exactly what luisdent is describing, and we bought it from the same place. I'm going to write a review as well, but preliminary results put the mh1 up with the absolute best I've heard. Over the UERM, over the F111, anything really. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but I am quite serious.

The pair I have now has emphasized but NOT overly emphasized bass. If anyone follows my impressions they'll know that I have a very low tolerance for flabby bass, and even a lower tolerance for bass that even remotely leaks onto the mids. I find the the mh1 has not to leak into the mids at all. Bass around 125Hz is only about 2-3dB over what I'd consider to be excellent. I have the ASG-2, GR07 BE, Quadbeat 2, and cn40 at my disposal right now, and the mh1 sounds flatter, clearer and more accurate than all of them to my ears. It really is an accomplishment imo. Besides slightly emphasized bass, I'm not sure I can find any other fault with the sound of these things. And believe me I'm looking.

For the record luisdent and I have the mh1, not the mh1c. The mh1 is the one on sale for $20 on amazon, and it only works with specific phones or players. It does not work on the Fuze, but it does work on the uha.6s mkII. Its because the older mh1's connector was made to work only with OMTP connections that certain Sony phones have, and the newer mh1c was updated to work with newer CTIA connections. I just run my fuze to the uha with no issues.

eek.gif

Here's what just happened after I read this...

*Fishes out MH1c*

*Listen to a few tracks*

*Laugh*

*Put MH1c back in box*

*take another sip of rum*

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,127 of 19,246
:eek:

*Fishes out MH1c*

*Listen to a few tracks*

*Laugh*

*Put MH1c back in box*

Basically the mids and treble have almost no flaws to my ears. The bass is emphasized, so I eq that down. What do you think of the mids and treble?

I think I can make a pretty strong case for this iem. The mids aren't slightly recessed like the UERM, nor is there any spiky treble peak. All the details from 500Hz on up are present in equal and distortionless amounts. The only issue is too much bass, with is only one single eq point. It's extremely rare for an iem to need only one eq point. Also rare is iem that can nail mids tonality. None of the iems I have right now do that. The ASG-2 can only do it with the right music which is difficult to find. This mh1 is nailing everything. Seriously. I'll have a more thourogh review hopefully tomorrow.

Also you may be getting more bass from your model. SGS definitely was. Low volume listening makes them sound more flat. Bass reduction eq goes up with volume for me.

Rum actually sounds pretty good right now...

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,128 of 19,246
I can't recall a good replacement, but you can bend the cable to the barrel and hold it in place with a piece of twisty tie to eliminate microphonics. If you look in the photo gallery of this thread you should see it.

EDIT: Found it.

Thank you.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,129 of 19,246
Basically the mids and treble have almost no flaws to my ears. The bass is emphasized, so I eq that down. What do you think of the mids and treble?

I think I can make a pretty strong case for this iem. The mids aren't slightly recessed like the UERM, nor is there any spiky treble peak. All the details from 500Hz on up are present in equal and distortionless amounts. The only issue is too much bass, with is only one single eq point. It's extremely rare for an iem to need only one eq point. Also rare is iem that can nail mids tonality. None of the iems I have right now do that. The ASG-2 can only do it with the right music which is difficult to find. This mh1 is nailing everything. Seriously. I'll have a more thourogh review hopefully tomorrow.

Also you may be getting more bass from your model. SGS definitely was. Low volume listening makes them sound more flat. Bass reduction eq goes up with volume for me.

I think I'm really starting to understand your tastes. You seem to evaluate extremely heavily on FR balance. IDK.

20 more sips and you might start liking them...

biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3,130 of 19,246

I think I'm really starting to understand your tastes. You seem to evaluate extremely heavily on FR balance. IDK.

biggrin.gif

Yeah it appears that way. There is one thing though that he brings up, which I find more important than a flat FR response. That is tone, which closely correlates to impulse response. A single well-designed driver will always have this advantage over multiple drivers, no matter how good a crossover is. I can't really explain it in great detail because I just don't know how, but i do think its a foundational effect upon which everything else is built. Ever seen high end speakers that sound like crap, and average ones sound good? Much of it has to with how well a crossover is designed or better, a complete lack of one since it alters the natural order of things, taking the room and EQ out of the equation of course.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #3,131 of 19,246

eek.gif

*Fishes out MH1c*

*Listen to a few tracks*

*Laugh*

*Put MH1c back in box*

I agree.  Almost perfect other than being a bit bass heavy in the low end.  But luckily it's the very low end, so it isn't even that bad compared to iems with bad treble or mids.  Not to mention the bass boost is all smooth and consistent in curve.  It's not like a spike anywhere.  It's just a more present low bass.  I eq this down personally, but according to rin, you can fill some of the body with epoxy and achieve similar results to the eq with no eq.

What I don't get is the people that like the er4s, but say the mh1c does nothing for them?  Am I missing something. :p  Is the mh1c that much different?  The graphs show them to be similar, but perhaps you got a more bassy unit?  :-o  These are also designed for shallow fit, so they shouldn't be in your ears too deep.  Not sure how people are wearing them.

Anyhow, I recommend trying them if you haven't.  Perhaps the mh1 is more consistent between units than the mh1c?  I have no idea.  But alas, this is an er4s thread.  I initially just wanted to make people aware of the mh1, because I love it as a secondary iem to my er4s and find it similar in the fact that the whole spectrum is smooth and free of big spikes or dips.  It just leans more on the thick low end whereas the er4s leans on the thin low end.  Both need a little eq one way or the other to achieve a more reference flatness.

But I suggest we get back on topic with the er4s! :)  Head to the mh1 thread for more on that iem if you want to.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,132 of 19,246
Have any of you heard both the mc3/5 and the Hifiman re400? I've noticed they graph very similar and the the re400 gets a lot of acclaim as a bang for buck champion. Just wondering if the ety dynamic driver for half the cost of the re400 sounds as good or better.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3,133 of 19,246
I think the DX50 is the best deal by far when it comes to DAPs.  I am completely happy with the purchase.  I play ONLY 24bit/96 or 192 kHz files on the DX50, and I have been playing exclusively hi-res files on my home system since 2010, so I know how great the difference between 16 and 24 bit can be with the right DAC and implementation.
The DX50 nails it.  The most common comment from DX100 (which is considered by many to be the best DAP regardless of price) users is that the DX50 plus the Tralucent T1 amp pretty much equals the DX100, but with a better UI.

DX50 = $239
Tralucent T1 = $259
= $498 TOTAL
or

DX100 = $829 (and has a worse interface)

Honestly pacman, I absolutely recommend you get a DX50.  

Further, I use the DX50 exclusively with the ER4S, which I have modded with 8-wire braided silver plated PCOCC-A cable into Shure-type adapters that fit into the ends of the ER4 barrel.  I should post some pictures of my modded ER4S as they look really good; silver wire in clear dialectic x 8 and braided looks awesome -- people have stopped me several times on the street in SF to ask what headphones I am wearing--they sound much more present with the modded cables.  Also, by having the resistors at the end of the barrel, instead of in the middle of the headphone cable (as in the factory cable), there is no splice in my cables, unlike the factory cables.
That's awesome thank you..I'm defently interested in the dx50..I have the continental v3 headphone amp and I'll see how it pairs with the dx50 before I buy another amp..buy if it don't ill defently try another amp like you suggested the 1plus2..thanks for the advice..and I would love to see that cable if you could post a couple picks that would be awesome..:)

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #3,134 of 19,246
Have any of you heard both the mc3/5 and the Hifiman re400? I've noticed they graph very similar and the the re400 gets a lot of acclaim as a bang for buck champion. Just wondering if the ety dynamic driver for half the cost of the re400 sounds as good or better.

I've heard from a person who made a review of RE-400 and have heard hf3 that RE-400's sound is more warm and smooth in comparison to Etys. For sure it does not have similar quantity and quality of treble.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3,135 of 19,246
Has anyone tried the Ety ER-4S with the JDS Labs cMoy Rechargeable Portable Headphone Amplifier?  I just purchased this amp and was wondering if anyone had tried it previously.  My source is an iPhone 4S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back