If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,431 of 19,251
So, several people have described the HD800's SS as being very vast. I don't find it that vast, tbh, but it's certainly very open, and I think this is often more dependent on the album you happen play—how it was recorded, placement of mics, etc—, your state of mind at any given time, and other variables.

Okay, then, since you put me on the spot, here you go: to me, if the HD800 is, say, a 10, the K3003 is a 9 and the ER4S is a good 6 (or 6.5).

Yes, absolutely. No misconceptions here about any earphone/headphone being significantly "spacious sounding" all by itself. Air, space, imaging, ambience, etc. are 95% contained in the recording (and usually have been intentionally, artificially added during mixing/mastering).

And thank you for your subjective ratings. Thats what I wanted to know :D

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,432 of 19,251

stnT5.gif

Anyone want to trade a EX600 for an ER4P?

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,433 of 19,251
 Thats what I wanted to know
biggrin.gif

So, what are you waiting for, then? Go on and order those ER4S—Now!—and then come and tell our cheerful sparrow that his SS comments were waaaay off the mark.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/The+Turn+Of+A+Friendly+Card/2SQlEn?src=5

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,437 of 19,251
So, what are you waiting for, then? Go on and order those ER4S—Now!—and then come and tell our cheerful sparrow that his SS comments were waaaay off the mark.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/The+Turn+Of+A+Friendly+Card/2SQlEn?src=5

The ss is decent, but it definitely improves at least on mark for me with the comply tips. Very deep insertion. No eq needed for bass with these either. I still think it perfects them, but it doesn't sound like there's anything missing in the bass at all. Just a tad low on sub bass volume. But i'm listening more with no eq using the complys.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #2,438 of 19,251
Three days in and I simply love the ER4S' sonics — love the FR as is. Still kicking myself for having waited so long to try this absolutely terrific IEM.

The cable, though, is proving to be a bit of a pain (microphonics and weight [don't like using a shirt-clip]).

1.  Anyone tried these by any chance? I have a spare ES Westone-type cable which I love as it's very light and absolutely non-microphonic.

Now, I already know the seller offers adaptors for the all different ER4 models so I know I'd have to order the S one.

2.  Can anyone confirm sonics are not altered at all?

3.  Is fit affected somehow?

4.  Is a cable-over-the-ear fit possible with these adaptors? I'm guessing it is.

5.  Are the ER4S adaptors that difficult to remove? I've tried removing them but they seem to be very, very tight and I don't want to risk breaking them or damaging the prongs (yes, tried doing so very carefully AND patiently by holding both the connectors and housings very firmly, but to no avail).

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,442 of 19,251
LOL

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,443 of 19,251
Three days in and I simply love the ER4S' sonics — love the FR as is. Still kicking myself for having waited so long to try this absolutely terrific IEM.

The cable, though, is proving to be a bit of a pain (microphonics and weight [don't like using a shirt-clip]).

1.  Anyone tried these by any chance? I have a spare ES Westone-type cable which I love as it's very light and absolutely non-microphonic.

Now, I already know the seller offers adaptors for the all different ER4 models so I know I'd have to order the S one.

2.  Can anyone confirm sonics are not altered at all?

3.  Is fit affected somehow?

4.  Is a cable-over-the-ear fit possible with these adaptors? I'm guessing it is.

5.  Are the ER4S adaptors that difficult to remove? I've tried removing them but they seem to be very, very tight and I don't want to risk breaking them or damaging the prongs (yes, tried doing so very carefully AND patiently by holding both the connectors and housings very firmly, but to no avail).

1. I've definitely tried those.

2. Sonics were not perceptibly altered to me.

3. Fit is affected. With as deep a fit as I need, the angled adapter hit part of my ear when wearing over the ear, making it slightly uncomfortable for any length of time.

4. See 3.

5. Yes the ER4S cable is ridiculously difficult to remove. Removing it is possible by putting a flat object between the housing and the cable and prying then apart. It is a risk though and etymotic has stated that the cable is not supposed to be user-removable.

6. (Bonus) I'm not sure how the adapters fit with Westone cable specifically, but with the UE cable the fit between the adapter and the cable tended to be a bit loose. It held fine for the most part, but needed to be pushed into a more secure fit from time to time, especially when on the move.

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,444 of 19,251
My experience has been that the sharp corners dig into your ears.
I filled mine down to a more rounded shape that blends better with the cable and the iem cylinder.
I say that there is a sonic influence from the adapter, but then it can't really be isolated from any influence the different cable may impart.
In my case, the silver dragon iem cable, along with the now infamous red filter, can be credited with a positive sonic influence.

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,445 of 19,251
That saddens me, Inks — just when I thought you and I were finally starting to hit it off... Oh well, it only took me 14 years to try the 4S... perhaps another 14 years for Inks and music_4321 to become buddies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back