If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,966 of 19,246
Quote:

I find them listenable without eq, but I use a "very slight" 20-50hz eq and find it makes them more reference.  I only use enough to fill out the low end.  Certain sounds are less fatiguing this way a tad and sub bass sounds more "proper".  But it's so slight one songs without emphasis down there you can switch the eq on and off and it does absolutely nothing to the sound.  I think I do about 2.5db at 50hz and 5db at 20hz or something similar...  I may not insert them as deep though as they get uncomfortable too deep for me.  I get past the second bend, but I have noticed the deeper I get the more bass I hear without any other changes past the second bend.  So you might be getting a tad more bass than I am stock, not sure.  But you should try my eq.  I'll post the exact settings later and just see what you think after some useage...

I've definitely been meaning to try your eq, and I have, just not with a decent parametric eq app. I've been lazy in getting one. I used to use Electri-Q, but it's been a while. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,967 of 19,246
don't go by any previous eq i've posted.  They aren't bad, but I think I get a better fit with the foam now, so i have a smaller, lower curve.

If anyone has a clip zip, here is the advanced eq setting I find perfect:

pre cut -5.0db

20hz
q 1.0
6.0db

40hz
q 1.0
3.5db

50hz
q 1.2
2.5db

In a graphic EQ, it should look something like this:

The values are almost identical.  You don't need to smooth it out with the in between frequencies as much, but it makes it a bit smoother if you don't have a parametric EQ with q widths.  Essentially the same exact settings though.  I've used this with the new triple flange and the foam and they are very similar.  I find the triple flange somehow gives a more tight punchy bass even at the same bass level.  Interesting.

They're both close enough to be the same EQ though.  Deep insertion.  That should allow you to hear the sub bass very nicely while being flat with the other frequencies.  But unless there is sub bass playing you shouldn't even really know the EQ is on.  It is very transparent here for me.  I just get that extra fullness down low which makes songs sound fuller, smoother and a tad less fatiguing relatively speaking...

Keep in mind not only the tips I'm using, but that I'm using red filters.  If you aren't, you should be.  Shame on you. :wink:

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,970 of 19,246
Quote:
don't go by any previous eq i've posted.  They aren't bad, but I think I get a better fit with the foam now, so i have a smaller, lower curve.

If anyone has a clip zip, here is the advanced eq setting I find perfect:

pre cut -5.0db

20hz
q 1.0
6.0db

40hz
q 1.0
3.5db

50hz
q 1.2
2.5db

In a graphic EQ, it should look something like this:

The values are almost identical.  You don't need to smooth it out with the in between frequencies as much, but it makes it a bit smoother if you don't have a parametric EQ with q widths.  Essentially the same exact settings though.  I've used this with the new triple flange and the foam and they are very similar.  I find the triple flange somehow gives a more tight punchy bass even at the same bass level.  Interesting.

They're both close enough to be the same EQ though.  Deep insertion.  That should allow you to hear the sub bass very nicely while being flat with the other frequencies.  But unless there is sub bass playing you shouldn't even really know the EQ is on.  It is very transparent here for me.  I just get that extra fullness down low which makes songs sound fuller, smoother and a tad less fatiguing relatively speaking...

Keep in mind not only the tips I'm using, but that I'm using red filters.  If you aren't, you should be.  Shame on you. :wink:

Finally threw those settings on electri-q on musicbee with some good house music. It fills out the bottom just enough to make everything just perfect. Wow. This should definitely be the stock configuration. Red filters and ~6dB sub-bass bump. This is the best I've ever heard hands down.  

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,971 of 19,246
I have not heard a full sized headphone that reproduces the ER-4S sound as faithfully. These are true gems. I find that they're best for critical listening or in developing such skills over time. I've heard other CIEMs and UIEMs that are much more expensive, but they don't have the flat textbook accuracy of the ER-4S. It's a shame to pay top dollar and get less accuracy just so that you can get a hip sound that's in vogue on these forums.

These get both tonal pitch accuracy and tonal balance exactly right. That's a very rare accomplishment. Also, the matched drivers don't go out of phase or sync over time which is another very rare accomplishment. The level of resolution and detail retrieval are second to none. It's hard to fathom why competitors will try to modernize the sound of their products if they're aiming for reference status when it becomes clear to me that they are not. The Etymotic ER-4 stands the test of time and they are my most prized 'phones.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #1,972 of 19,246
Quote:
I have not heard a full sized headphone that reproduces the ER-4S sound as faithfully. These are true gems. I find that they're best for critical listening or in developing such skills over time. I've heard other CIEMs and UIEMs that are much more expensive, but they don't have the flat textbook accuracy of the ER-4S. It's a shame to pay top dollar and get less accuracy just so that you can get a hip sound that's in vogue on these forums.

These get both tonal pitch accuracy and tonal balance exactly right. That's a very rare accomplishment. Also, the matched drivers don't go out of phase or sync over time which is another very rare accomplishment. The level of resolution and detail retrieval are second to none. It's hard to fathom why competitors will try to modernize the sound of their products if they're aiming for reference status when it becomes clear to me that they are not. The Etymotic ER-4 stands the test of time and they are my most prized 'phones.

Let me ask you this: Does every conductor, serious musician, music producer and sound engineer carry a pair of ER-4S with them? Something no so deep down inside tells me they don't.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,974 of 19,246
It is not so much about getting a hip sound that is vogue with the forums, but everybody likes a different sound.  Most people would get the sound that is enjoyable to them, rather than an accurate flat reproduction.  There is nothing wrong with either choice.  It is just preference.

I am happy to see people adjusting the EQ, rather then spending hundreds of dollars more just to get the sound they want to listen to.  It is all about what sounds good to you.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,975 of 19,246
Finally threw those settings on electri-q on musicbee with some good house music. It fills out the bottom just enough to make everything just perfect. Wow. This should definitely be the stock configuration. Red filters and ~6dB sub-bass bump. This is the best I've ever heard hands down.  

Glad you agree. Wasn't sure what yould think. :p The key for me is that they are so excellent without eq that you don't want to take a single thing away from the sound.

This is not a big eq setting. It should sound slight but good with the right bass. It isn't a compensation for anyone who thinks the er4s "has no bass" or isn't realistic in the bass. It simply fills in the sub bass region where they are slighty low. This is based on goldenears graphs, headroom graphs and also my ears. I tried to get it as perfect as i could. I reccomend people try it for a while and get used to it.

To me the etys hit this "oh wow" feeling in me with most music. This just makes it like that with bass too. :) you don't have to try and hear the sub bass as much. It just blend in better. Just my opinion :) if this were stock it would be amazing. Thank goodness you told me about the red filters. They saved me from eqing ANYTHING above the sub bass.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,976 of 19,246
I wanna try Shure Olives with ER4s, but need your help to choose right size of them.
While using Sennheiser CX300 i used medium tips, how they're comparable to Shure ones? Doesn't they must be inserted much deeper to ear so they should be smaller size?
Please, advice. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back