If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,397 of 19,246
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I start with changing the filters, if I can find them...

If not you can just leave them out. For a simple test it will pose no problem. Do not be alarmed if the sound is not up to par without them though.

May 25, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,398 of 19,246
Quote:
If not you can just leave them out. For a simple test it will pose no problem. Do not be alarmed if the sound is not up to par without them though.

Actually, do be surprised... as I did not hear a significant different, if any, when I took out my filters. These have been in my ears for months now without the filters, and they sound just as lovely as they did with the filters, if not even better.

May 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,399 of 19,246
Really.?? I thought you needed them in.. Huh learn something new everyday lol..I read that you can buy different color filters for different sounds..I wouldn't want to change any sound that I get from the green ones..think they sound amazing..
Actually, do be surprised... as I did not hear a significant different, if any, when I took out my filters. These have been in my ears for months now without the filters, and they sound just as lovely as they did with the filters, if not even better.

May 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,400 of 19,246
Also.. All the gold is come off of the plug..the gold plated plug ya know.?.this must be pretty common? But does it change the sound any.?.maybe this is a stupid question lol but..does it effect the sound any??

May 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,402 of 19,246
Quote:

I'm starting to feel bad for these guys :wink:  Let's start talking about the er4s again! :)

The reason I mentioned that album in the first place is how great it sounds with them.  If you haven't heard it, it's a mix of 70's disco and modern electronic with some digitized vocals, some real vocals and a LOT of funky guitars! And the guitars sound so clear and distinct.  There are great kick drums that have a nice touch to them and the snares and cymbals are crisp but not overly bright.  Track two for instance have very realistic metallic cymbals in the intro.  There is some nice reverb on the snares and toms on that track that has a lot of depth.  I think they did an excellent job with the recording.  It isn't overly compressed like so much music today.  It's like they made it as loud as it needed to be and left it at that.

It has some great catchy beats and melodies and the mixing and production is very good.  There's a piano track in there, and as a pianist I'm very impressed with how intimate and realistic the piano sounds in the intro with the er4s.  It has such a real tone.  I highly recommend it to anyone who is willing to give it a chance.  It's like a throwback to the 70s while maintaining a modern touch.  I love the accompanying album art and theme they have with it too.  The comical helmets with nice suits.  ha.  Classic.

It's really sad to see people missing out on such a great album because, it is easy to mix it up with most of the crappy pop coming out these days. If that's what anybody reading this is thinking the new Daft Punk album is, take a few minutes to check it out. Honestly, it's one of the best produced albums I've *ever heard*.

Personally, I am a jazz musician. The new Daft Punk album is *full of jazz musicians*. People who disregard it as standard crappy pop music just aren't aware how much talent is packed into those tracks. Let's just look at the drummers - John "JR" Robinson and Omar Hakim. Hakim has played with Miles Davis, Lee Ritenour, Herbie Hancock, and Marcus Miller, and used to tour with Sting. Robinson is *the most recorded drummer in history* - playing on Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, and Quincy Jones albums AS HIS DAY JOB.

You can read more about the insane lineup of legendary musicians here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memories

I'm not hating or trying to flame here, I'm just trying to share some of the best sounding music I've ever heard. THE PRODUCTION IS OFF THE CHAIN ON THIS ALBUM!

Clarity, detail, and body, all at once. No sound is overshadowed, nothing is hidden. It's all in your face with 100% presence. Absolutely stunning.

-sheldon

May 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,403 of 19,246
Quote:

It's really sad to see people missing out on such a great album because, it is easy to mix it up with most of the crappy pop coming out these days. If that's what anybody reading this is thinking the new Daft Punk album is, take a few minutes to check it out. Honestly, it's one of the best produced albums I've *ever heard*.

Personally, I am a jazz musician. The new Daft Punk album is *full of jazz musicians*. People who disregard it as standard crappy pop music just aren't aware how much talent is packed into those tracks. Let's just look at the drummers - John "JR" Robinson and Omar Hakim. Hakim has played with Miles Davis, Lee Ritenour, Herbie Hancock, and Marcus Miller, and used to tour with Sting. Robinson is *the most recorded drummer in history* - playing on Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, and Quincy Jones albums AS HIS DAY JOB.

You can read more about the insane lineup of legendary musicians here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memories

I'm not hating or trying to flame here, I'm just trying to share some of the best sounding music I've ever heard. THE PRODUCTION IS OFF THE CHAIN ON THIS ALBUM!

Clarity, detail, and body, all at once. No sound is overshadowed, nothing is hidden. It's all in your face with 100% presence. Absolutely stunning.

-sheldon

Jesus wept will you people give it a bloody rest already.  Two people are not daft punk fans and you twist a whole tread around to refute it. What in the hell is wrong with you?

Get back on topic and stay there. You want to do reviews and hype a band, there are threads for that, this is not one of them.

May 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,405 of 19,246
Quote:
Jesus wept will you people give it a bloody rest already.  Two people are not daft punk fans and you twist a whole tread around to refute it. What in the hell is wrong with you?

Get back on topic and stay there. You want to do reviews and hype a band, there are threads for that, this is not one of them.

Wow, I actually did try to get back on topic a few posts back.  I think he was trying to get the point across to "anyone" that you should check it out because it's not what you think.  So what the heck is wrong with you? :p  Let's get back on topic, yes, but it's pretty clear you haven't given it a good listen either. haha :wink:

May 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,406 of 19,246
Quote:

Wow, I actually did try to get back on topic a few posts back.  I think he was trying to get the point across to "anyone" that you should check it out because it's not what you think.  So what the heck is wrong with you? :p  Let's get back on topic, yes, but it's pretty clear you haven't given it a good listen either. haha :wink:

Actually I have. I will listen to anything except noveau country and gansta rap. It's just not my thing. Then again neither is Weather Report and I never took flack for not liking them.

Too each their own.

May 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,407 of 19,246

Not to beat a dead horse, but I had not heard this album before. Im listening to it now and Im just blown away. Ive heard several older Daft Punk albums and this isnt at all what I was expecting.

Im up to Track 5 and so far, Track 3 is my favorite. Giorgio Moroders legend status notwithstanding, the musicianship and production standards on this Track (and album in general) are wonderful. Track 3 for me was evocative of a modern take on Tubular Bells. And Track 5 made me think of you immediately with its Eye in the Sky drum/rhythm guitar line.

Thanks - im logging in to Amazon right now to buy it!

To keep this topical, i agree this album would sound terrific on the ER4 - definitely demo album calibre. Im listening on my HF5 and the combination of acoustic and synthesized instruments and vocals really sounds amazing on such a neutral and honest earphone. And it is simply remarkable on my HD800's :D

May 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,408 of 19,246
Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but I had not heard this album before. Im listening to it now and Im just blown away. Ive heard several older Daft Punk albums and this isnt at all what I was expecting.

Im up to Track 5 and so far, Track 3 is my favorite. Giorgio Moroders legend status notwithstanding, the musicianship and production standards on this Track (and album in general) are wonderful. Track 3 for me was evocative of a modern take on Tubular Bells. And Track 5 made me think of you immediately with its Eye in the Sky drum/rhythm guitar line.

Thanks - im logging in to Amazon right now to buy it!

To keep this topical, i agree this album would sound terrific on the ER4 - definitely demo album calibre. Im listening on my HF5 and the combination of acoustic and synthesized instruments and vocals really sounds amazing on such a neutral and honest earphone. And it is simply remarkable on my HD800's
biggrin.gif

What'cha driving those with?

May 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,410 of 19,246
What'cha driving those with?

The HF5 straight out of my Squeezebox Touch which, by the way, has a very competent DAC and amp built in. The amp wont drive the Sennheisers or planars obviously, but its more than enough for sensitive IEMs and portable headphones.

My HD800's are driven by my Pioneer Elite SC-25 AVRs headphone jack. Another surprising gem with plenty of power and rare (for the segment) low output impedance. I havent heard another solid state amp that sounds better. I tried the Violectric V200 and I just sold my Benchmark DAC1 because it was redundant next to the Pioneer. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back