If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 7, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #1,306 of 19,251
Quote:
My girl friend and pretty much everyone else I think thinks I'm nuts lol cause I probably wear these 7-10 hours at least a day..every day.lol just can't get enough ..I'm always hear different things in the music I listen to and always trying to listen for different things..

I spend about the same amount of time with these in my ears... during the day! While I sleep, they're often still in my ears. That's another 7-10 hours. :wink: No ear discomfort, ever. Perfect fit and seal. I run 28-32 miles a week with these in my ears. I'm still not using any filters. Still working great.

May 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,307 of 19,251
I run about the same amount per week with my HF-3s. Sweat and everything else gets on them. Over a year later, they function just fine. Etymotics endure! 

May 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,308 of 19,251
Quote:
The treble spike is likely a combination of the Etys being linear up into the treble range plus shallow insertion, see:http://rinchoi.blogspot.se/2010/05/how-deep-do-you-insert-you-er4.html. Read my post with my correspondence with Don Wilson a few pages back on what correct custom tips should be like: http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/1020#post_9255780

I heard back from etymotic recently, and they measured my custom tips and found them to have a huge treble spike.  They said they tried a bunch of things to improve the response, such as putting the filters in the tips instead of the nozzle, etc.  He said it helped, but then caused other issues like a drop out of other frequencies.  They are working with microsonics to see what they can do about it...

May 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #1,309 of 19,251
Still the best IEMs I've heard in my 10 years of owning them. I respect Etymotic so much for keeping true to their product, while companies like Sennheiser and Shure are releasing gimmicky new products that cost more than decent studio monitors. The market is inflating prices, while Ety is sticking to their guns. And after 20 years, they still sound just as good, if not better than their competitors flagships. I think the ER4s should be the first IEMs recommended to all the newcomers. 

May 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,310 of 19,251
I disagree. Ety is probably even more guilty of propaganda marketing.

There was really no real difference between the $100 HF5 and the $200 ER4P except HF5 had better ergonomics. Then Ety started adding a piece of certificate paper and charging $300 for the ER4P!!

So I must ask... who are you crapping?

May 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,311 of 19,251
Etymotics has always made it clear that the HF5 series is almost the same as ER4P. The PT is individually matched and the build is far better. Individual matching would logically bring the cost up really high, it's mostly for those that want to use the ER4 as a reference. For everyday users, yes HF series makes more sense

May 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,312 of 19,251

There was really no real difference between the $100 HF5 and the $200 ER4P except HF5 had better ergonomics. Then Ety started adding a piece of certificate paper and charging $300 for the ER4P!!

I disagree on your disagreement. :p. haha Hf5 and er4p aren't the same earphone for many reasons. But either way, even if that we're the case, I still find everything else he stated holds true.

May 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,313 of 19,251
Quote:

So making their product even more affordable is a bad thing? I don't understand your logic.

The ER4 has had the fairly priced $300 MSRP since forever. It would be bad "propaganda" if they took the ER4 internals, made the exterior pretty, threw marketing buzz-words around, paid head-fi to make a thread about them, and then rose the MSRP to a grand while trying to convince head-fiers it's worth the cost.

But that's not what they did. What they did was make the ER4 even more affordable, by cutting some features not all consumers needed. Pretty admirable actually.

May 12, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,314 of 19,251
So making their product even more affordable is a bad thing? I don't understand your logic.

The ER4 has had the fairly priced $300 MSRP since forever. It would be bad "propaganda" if they took the ER4 internals, made the exterior pretty, threw marketing buzz-words around, paid head-fi to make a thread about them, and then rose the MSRP to a grand while trying to convince head-fiers it's worth the cost.

But that's not what they did. What they did was make the ER4 even more affordable, by cutting some features not all consumers needed. Pretty admirable actually.

Or scam users by making it seem like a LTD version is an upgrade to a regular model, while it's actually the same IEM with a different damper...lol. 

May 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #1,315 of 19,251
Quote:

Or scam users by making it seem like a LTD version is an upgrade to a regular model, while it's actually the same IEM with a different damper...lol. 

I'm Shure that Etymotic won't do that, at least for the foreseeable future 
size]

May 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,317 of 19,251
I've been listening to my Etymotic ER4S for a few days and I find the 2.5khz peak to be too harsh. I EQ 1khz to 3khz down at to 5db to make it sound neutral. Does anyone else experience this? Does the Etymotic ER4P also have the same 2.5khz peak?

May 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,318 of 19,251
Quote:
I've been listening to my Etymotic ER4S for a few days and I find the 2.5khz peak to be too harsh. I EQ 1khz to 3khz down at to 5db to make it sound neutral. Does anyone else experience this? Does the Etymotic ER4P also have the same 2.5khz peak?

The ER4P doesn't. In fact I've always been surprised how much more neutral the ER4P treble was compared to other IEMs, considering their reputation as cold and analytic. I recently tried out the Sony EX series, which are known as "romantic," but their treble is so much hotter than the Etys. Almost painfully so.

Compared to the ER4S:

May 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,319 of 19,251
Quote:
The ER4P doesn't. In fact I've always been surprised how much more neutral the ER4P treble was compared to other IEMs, considering their reputation as cold and analytic. I recently tried out the Sony EX series, which are known as "romantic," but their treble is so much hotter than the Etys. Almost painfully so.

Compared to the ER4S:

Seems like the ER4P would be perfect for me! My EQ settings closely match the difference between the ER4P and ER4S on that graph.

I'm planning on buying a ER4P to Westone pin adapter and a cheap Westone compatible cable to turn my ER4S into an ER4P.

May 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,320 of 19,251
Quote:

Personally, I never found ER4S to be harsh to my ears, even though I am sensitive to the presence region too. I actually found ER4P harsher sounding in the highs. Make sure you get are getting a deep, tight seal - the Etys absolutely need it to produce proper sound. Also, make sure that you are using either the triple flanges, or other tips of similar length, like the long foams. With shorter tips, even if you insert the IEMs deep, the seal may still not be sufficient from my experience. Although it depends on your ear canal size and shape I suppose. If you have small ear canals, then short tips may work fine for you, but if you find the sound harsh, it is more likely than not that you are not getting the proper seal. Other possible causes of harsh sound include issues with the source or amp, excessive volume levels and bad recording quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back