If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,261 of 19,251
The ER4's are much tougher build than the other IEM's they make, also your getting something made in the US to much more exacting standards in terms of driver matching.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,262 of 19,251
I have or should say the hf2 ..I by accident ran them over with a vacuum lol so they no longer work lol but when they did work they sounded great and I mmiss them now..I should maybe see if I can have them reshelled??
I have a broken pair of HF5s. This is the second pair that has broken, a bit disappointed because I love the sound. However, I'm seriously considering sending them back and having them replaced with the ER4. I can get the ER4 for $180 that way!

http://www.etymotic.com/cs/outwarranty.html

"It is not necessary to re-purchase the same earphone or headset product you currently own."

Super excited!

-sheldon

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,265 of 19,251
I've used this adapter (S vesion) with the Moon Audio iem Silver Dragon cables.

1st, The adapter had to be filed down quite a bit so that the sharp corners and edges did not poke my ear (my etys insert very deep).

2nd, The iem Silver Dragon cables that I mated with the adapters were just too bright with the oem (green) filter (for me).  I have experimented with all of the filter from green on down, and have found that my ideal combination is the Ety4, S cable adapter, iem Silver Dragon cable, Orange filter and Comply T-100 foamies.

Without the Silver Dragon cable, the Orange filter was too bassy and recessed treble.  The iem Silver Dragon restored the upper ranges to very pleasant and enjoyable levels, though, I have sacrificed some of the stock 4S airyness for the full and substantial bass that the Orange filter allows.

I also prefer to mate this combination with the ALO Continental V2 for it's added tubey midrange warmth.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,267 of 19,251
Simple.
It didn't sound as good.
I tried that combination first.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,268 of 19,251
Thank you for your answers guys. It appears getting another aftermarket cable requires a rather tedious process of filter matching and filing...
How does one order a cable from Etymotic themselves, as they have not got anything on their website....That I can see anyway? Maybe I'm missing it somewhere?

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,269 of 19,251
Where do you get the different filters from? Straight from etymotic?? I only thought there was the green ones..I really like the sound of them..I myself don't or am not a bass head..but after listening to them for a bit and get a good seal... Which sometimes isn't all that easy with these lol I find them to have lots of bass or low end..I'm not sure I would want to boost up the bass anymore..but I had no idea that there was different filters..and as for the cables..I think that etymotic would or recommends that the owner send them to etymotic to put the cables on for ya..sometime to do with the balancing of the cables with would ulter the sq probably for the worst if you didn't know what you were doing..I have read that on here somewhere in the past...does anyone know this for sure cause I would like to put some different cables on these in the near future and don't want to wreck them..thank you for your help..:)

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,270 of 19,251
I cant see why I would have to ship them to the States just so as to put a new cable on?
Taking them off is tricky although  requiring a deal of patience. slowly prying them off reveals 2 pins one slightly larger than the other fitting the exact same on the holes on ER4. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #1,271 of 19,251
I cant see why I would have to ship them to the States just so as to put a new cable on?
Taking them off is tricky although  requiring a deal of patience. slowly prying them off reveals 2 pins one slightly larger than the other fitting the exact same on the holes on ER4. 
I can't see it either..that's what I read a while ago..I tried looking for it but can't find it..maybe I read it somewhere else..I'm sorry but are you using the green filters or a different one??. I had no idea there was other color ones..I thought there was the only the green ones.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,272 of 19,251
Quote:
I can't see it either..that's what I read a while ago..I tried looking for it but can't find it..maybe I read it somewhere else..I'm sorry but are you using the green filters or a different one??. I had no idea there was other color ones..I thought there was the only the green ones.

The info you need is here.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,275 of 19,251
Classic head-fi...Different filters will just make the upper mids sucked out and jumpy. Try different tips or varying the series resistance instead.

Did you read the filter mod thread? The red filters attenuate the upper mids and treble by about 1dB, and the orange filters a bit more. The effect is slight, and most iems and even top tier customs have a much larger "suckout." Also, looking at the graphs of the different filters I don't see anything I could describe as "jumpy." What are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back