If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #571 of 19,246
Quote:

Doesn't the cable get dislodged easily when you're on the go?

I suppose it would.  I only wear my etys while I am sitting down although I just checked and it seems pretty secure.  My etys are pushing 10 years old so maybe my cable is just super flexible and soft which helps it stay in place.  I've seen some mods where people use the flexible tubing for hearing aid cables and use it to secure the phones in place over the ear.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #572 of 19,246
Quote:
Hi robm321, Thanks for your advice. I've only been a member 15 minutes and someone has answered my question. Impressive.

Thanks. Anil

Welcome to headfi
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #573 of 19,246
How is the sub-bass extension on the ER4S compared to the ER-6? The specs say it goes deeper but how noticeable is it? The quantity on the ER-6 is great, and I wouldn't mind trading for a bit less quantity as long as there is more extension. 

I should say overall that I'm enjoying the hell out of the ER-6. It is definitely my favorite so far.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #574 of 19,246
Quote:
How is the sub-bass extension on the ER4S compared to the ER-6? The specs say it goes deeper but how noticeable is it? The quantity on the ER-6 is great, and I wouldn't mind trading for a bit less quantity as long as there is more extension. 

I should say overall that I'm enjoying the hell out of the ER-6. It is definitely my favorite so far.

no sub-bass in ER4S...sorry

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #578 of 19,246
if you want bass impact this is not your IEM. Does it play? It should as the freq. respond range is 20 hz to 16 khz, would you feel its rumble, no. 

The Er4p gives you better bass than the er4s.

I don't want impact I want extension. How accurate is the 20Hz rating?

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #581 of 19,246
Just got home from my local audio guy's place. I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new pair of ER-4S earphones!!! Hurt the wallet but my ears are thanking me.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #582 of 19,246
Quote:
Just got home from my local audio guy's place. I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new pair of ER-4S earphones!!! Hurt the wallet but my ears are thanking me.

One of the best long-term audio investments you can make, IMO.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #583 of 19,246
Yeah, along with my Grados...I think these things will have a permanent place in my personal audio stable. Other head/earphones will come and go, the Etymotics and Grados will be here forever. In fact, I'm boxing up my RE-262's now to send back for refund...at least that will lessen the wallet shock...lol...really though, I can't complain about the price. I got a great deal IMO and the service from my audio guy is worth more than any discount I get on audio gear.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #584 of 19,246
Quote:

Thanks for that. The ER4S looks to roll off starting at ~50Hz, same as the ER-6. 

Yes, but I would not describe the LF "roll off" of the ER4 as typical of other headphones.  First, I don't think Headroom's response graphs for deep IEMs is as meaningful as for full size headphones.  The graphs from Etymotic look different (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html).  At 30Hz the response is only -1dB and 20Hz around -2dB and relative to the rest of the curve, this is excellent bass accuracy.  The 2k Hz bump is meant to mimic the response of the ear canal which isn't applied to the audio signal from the transducer when an IEM is deep in the ear.  Taking all of this into account, the actual response at the eardrum is exceptionally flat from 30-10kHz.

From a listening point of view, I can describe the ER4 LF as extremely accurate for recorded material.  I had long ago tested them with frequency range test tracks and could hear the 30Hz tone quite well.

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #585 of 19,246
Quote:

Yes, but I would not describe the LF "roll off" of the ER4 as typical of other headphones.  First, I don't think Headroom's response graphs for deep IEMs is as meaningful as for full size headphones.  The graphs from Etymotic look different (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html).  At 30Hz the response is only -1dB and 20Hz around -2dB and relative to the rest of the curve, this is excellent bass accuracy.  The 2k Hz bump is meant to mimic the response of the ear canal which isn't applied to the audio signal from the transducer when an IEM is deep in the ear.  Taking all of this into account, the actual response at the eardrum is exceptionally flat from 30-10kHz.

From a listening point of view, I can describe the ER4 LF as extremely accurate for recorded material.  I had long ago tested them with frequency range test tracks and could hear the 30Hz tone quite well.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks! The ER4S is now on the long term acquire list... 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back