If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #196 of 19,246
I've been searching for a few months for a good IEM and have settled on the ER-4P. In the process, I've tried (in chronological order) the Klipsch Image S4i, Monster Turbine, Thinksound TS02, Hifiman RE0, Hifiman RE-262, Monster Turbine Pro Copper, Etymotic HF3 and the Westone 4. My source is an unamped iPhone 4.

Of these, the only real contenders were the RE0, the HF3 and the W4. I had the hardest time parting with the RE0. It is truly phenomenal at its price. But in the end its cold, almost synth-like rendition of distorted electric guitars left me looking for something with a more engaging midrange, but otherwise similar sound signature. The HF3 almost accomplishes this, but its treble is somewhat dialed down compared to the RE0 and ER-4P and its midrange is too warm. I've read posts on these forums describing the HF3 as being virtually indistinguishable from an ER-4P out of unamped sources, but my experience was quite the contrary. I can hear a pretty substantial difference between the two, even out of my iPhone 4. The ER-4P sounds more transparent and detailed, with crisper treble. I don't think that the HF3 renders delicate cymbal and hi-hat hits very well, while the ER-4P is peerless in this department.

I'm a big believer in "brain burn-in" and I think it actually makes more of a difference to my listening experience than any physical burn-in. While the ER-4P initially sounded a little thin and lacking in bass presence, my brain slowly adjusted to its signature and I started hearing it as rather full-bodied. It's the kind of headphone that does bass very competently across a lot of genres of music, and can really surprise you by doing it breathtakingly in certain songs.

I tried the Westone 4 because it has a reputation for being balanced and detailed while having a fuller sound than the ER-4 series, and I can confirm that it does. However, I definitely prefer the upper mids and treble of the ER-4P. The W4 sounds dark to my ears (even with the tips that made it sound the brightest), and I don't think any amount of brain burn-in will help me get over that. Whatever the W4's strengths may be over the ER-4P, I simply don't see them with the sort of music I'm listening to (a lot of jazz, punk and old rock).

Anyway, I'm not that experienced with regard to audio equipment, but I am seriously impressed with these headphones, the basic design of which, I believe, has remained virtually unchanged for almost 20 years.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #198 of 19,246
Indeed my friend! They're one hell of an IEM, no doubt about it! 
etysmile.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #199 of 19,246
Ghostroad,

your reflections are similar to many professional reviewers opinions I've read on the headphones you listed.  Let me make a suggestion:  I use a very tiny, portable (and pluggable) BSG (BioScienceGeek) amp with my ER-4P, along with Etymotic's "S" cable that transforms the ER-4 into an ER-4S for amped listening.  (It also works great for my AKG K702).  This in every way improves the already great sound of my ER-4, which I've had a passionate love affair with for 7 years and counting. 
tongue_smile.gif

The amp, which is better than many others I've tried (and is cheaper!), vastly increases the soundstage and bass impact of the ER-4.  I'm sure it also improves the sound in many other ways, but those were well enough or me.  It runs on a single 9v, (or plug).  I don't use it all the time, of course, as the purpose of my ER-4/Nano setup is portability.  But I use it, for example, if I'll be traveling for a while or sometimes when I'm just cleaning the house and want the improved sound it offers above running the ER-4 just straight from my Nano.

You can learn about the BSG, as well as where to buy it, here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/521344/bsg-biosciencegeek-cmoy-amp-w-etymotic-er-4s

Sanjay will customize the amp's output to your headphones.  However, mine was actually customized to a Beyerdynamic DT880/600, but I found  it actually sounded way better with my ER-4 than the Beyers.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #201 of 19,246
Not sure if it helps any my friend, but I use my FiiO E7 as my exclusive ER4S amp and find it sufficient. :xf_eek:

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #202 of 19,246
I still love ER-4P/S, but I love RE272 more now :) Enjoy a comparison, probably some of you will go dynamic route, as I did.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575188/re272-review-and-comparison-to-er-4p-and-hd650

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #203 of 19,246
I've had my ER4p for at least 10 years now and just upgraded to custom molds last month.
They are more comfortable than the flanges and sound equally good to me.
I use my ER4p only when I travel, so their main use is in airplanes where the noise
isolation is crucial..........but since they can't entirely reduce the noise from jet engines,
I'm probably less concerned about finely detailed comparisons than most of you who listen
in a quieter environment.  To me, they have always sounded great, but the biggest improvement
I ever made was driving them with a RSA predator amp.  The improvement in frequency extension/bass,
as well as improved imaging and clarity is brain-dead obvious.............iPod to ER4 directly vs.
iPod to predator to ER4 is no contest.

My only issue is the microphonics, which really do annoy me.  I'm looking into replacing the cabling
but haven't figured out what to do as of now.

By the way, my home reference is a Stax 404LE and I've been a Stax addict since college in the late 70s.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #204 of 19,246

Yes, the ER4S scales very good. I use cable adapters and a Westone ES cable. Reduces microphonics dramatically!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN ... 45fcb49cf0

P-model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN ... 45fcb49bea

Kablet købte jeg her (EU) http://www.variphone.com/

Quote:
I've had my ER4p for at least 10 years now and just upgraded to custom molds last month.
They are more comfortable than the flanges and sound equally good to me.
I use my ER4p only when I travel, so their main use is in airplanes where the noise
isolation is crucial..........but since they can't entirely reduce the noise from jet engines,
I'm probably less concerned about finely detailed comparisons than most of you who listen
in a quieter environment.  To me, they have always sounded great, but the biggest improvement
I ever made was driving them with a RSA predator amp.  The improvement in frequency extension/bass,
as well as improved imaging and clarity is brain-dead obvious.............iPod to ER4 directly vs.
iPod to predator to ER4 is no contest.

My only issue is the microphonics, which really do annoy me.  I'm looking into replacing the cabling
but haven't figured out what to do as of now.

By the way, my home reference is a Stax 404LE and I've been a Stax addict since college in the late 70s.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #205 of 19,246
Anybody tried Comply TX-100s with Etymotic ER-4s?

I recently had to switch from the traditional silicon tri-flange tips to Comply tips due to pain I was having in one ear after inserting the tri-flanges.  It felt like a kind of sprain caused by the pressure from the tri-flanges.

At any rate, the opening of the tri-flanges is much smaller than that of the T-100s, and I'm sensing that the sound is now a bit brighter than I remember. 

Given that the TX-100s have their own wax filter, I suspect that their use might soften this brightness a bit.

Also, it seems that Etymotic has resigned the stems of these units - and that the old Etymotic foamies no longer fit on them.  I had a pair from probably the early 2000s - and they just didn't fit anymore.  And it looks as if the filters are physically different from the older models (which I still have a supply of).  I haven't tried inserting one since my rennovated pair returned from the factory - but I hope these filters are still usable.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #206 of 19,246
The T-100's are my exclusive ER4S tips; I prefer nothing but. I've tried MANY others, but the comfort of the Comply's is unmatched for my ears. With the T-100, the highs retain their sparkle (more or less), without sounding the least bit harsh, nor fatiguing. For the most part, I use my Zo amp with my ER4S, especially since the synergy between the two is great. Simply put, coupled with the Zo and T-100's, the ER4S goes from 
ksc75smile.gif
 to 
basshead.gif
, while still retaining their exceptional detail retrieval (for the most part). 
smile.gif

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #207 of 19,246
I absolutely agree that the T-100s are comfortable.  I managed to pick up a package of 5 in red for $15 plus tax & shipping from B&H.  But it feels that the sound is brighter - although my impressions could be skewed by spending so much time recently listening to circa 1992 Beyer DT-990s (via a Schiit Vahalla amp). 

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #209 of 19,246
a few years ago Antonyfirst posted the facxt that if you cut the stem of a tri-flange to make a 1/8" "washer", then insert that washer on the ear nozzle of the Ety before inserting the eartip, the soundstage will increase.  Tried it and have always loved the soundstage created

Also use the Comply 100tx and haven't replaced Ety filters in months.  Truly a godsend for those of us who don't want to be fiddling with those teeny filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back