If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 10, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #19,112 of 19,249
Your departure is a very bad sign in that regard, let's face it.

I truly appreciate the sentiment. And, while that's certainly possible, I still hope that things go well, because I care about the brands.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #19,114 of 19,249
Been getting into iems more lately.

The general consensus seems to be that foam tips reduce bass, but there are posts in this tread suggesting that using comply professional P tips improve bass on etys (er2xr and er4 sr&xr).

I've used etys for around 15 years and want to keep them in the mix as I enjoy different iems.

The problem is and has always been comfort. The deep fit is fine but silicone tips makes my ears itch deep in the canals with silicone canals

Any thoughts on comfort and sound with comply professional P foamies?

I did a first impressions post a long time back but I'd like to hear other people's views.

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #19,115 of 19,249
Been getting into iems more lately.

The general consensus seems to be that foam tips reduce bass, but there are posts in this tread suggesting that using comply professional P tips improve bass on etys (er2xr and er4 sr&xr).

I've used etys for around 15 years and want to keep them in the mix as I enjoy different iems.

The problem is and has always been comfort. The deep fit is fine but silicone tips makes my ears itch deep in the canals with silicone canals

Any thoughts on comfort and sound with comply professional P foamies?

I did a first impressions post a long time back but I'd like to hear other people's views.

it is probably your earwax was pushed by the triple flange, same case for me as regular earplugs user, my ears often itch if I use earplugs deeply and also if I had my earwax built up.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #19,117 of 19,249
To all my friends on Head-Fi,

I just wanted to let everybody here know that, after 18 wonderful years, today is my last day at Etymotic. It's been an amazing ride. I've worked on so many designs over the years that I hold dear (HF series, MC series, ER2, ER3, ER4, EVO, etc). I've met a lot of you at CanJams and the shared enthusiasm of people that love audio has always been special to me. I truly value each and every one of you have that supported the products that I've helped design and the companies that I've worked for.

As you may have been able to tell, I really enjoy this stuff, so I will still participate in threads and offer technical advice (feel free to tag me with questions), I just won't be able to help sort out things like orders and customer service. I am sure that there are other that will take on that role.

My hope/plan is to stay in the industry, so you may see me in another role. At the very least, you will see me on Head-Fi as a fellow enthusiast.

Happy holidays and best regards. I'll see you on the other side.

Best Regards,

Dave
aka EtyDave
Thanks for all of your input on this thread Dave! I started using Etymotic 'phones a couple years before you started there - hope to see you around these parts and good luck on your next position.

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #19,118 of 19,249
Been using ER4XR for a month, and I am still surprised by how it sounds with only 1 BA driver and its isolation, just curious, do you guys know exactly what is the BA driver used in ER4XR (Sonion, Knowles, or self-developed by Ety)?

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #19,120 of 19,249
Been using ER4XR for a month, and I am still surprised by how it sounds with only 1 BA driver and its isolation, just curious, do you guys know exactly what is the BA driver used in ER4XR (Sonion, Knowles, or self-developed by Ety)?
1702393930911.png

ASR

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #19,121 of 19,249
it is probably your earwax was pushed by the triple flange, same case for me as regular earplugs user, my ears often itch if I use earplugs deeply and also if I had my earwax built
guess I'll be visiting an audiologist...
I used to struggle with this as well but using double flanges made a big difference for me.
Double flanges still cause the problem for me.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #19,124 of 19,249
Thanks - I'll look into both of these.

Wouldn't mind audiologist visit though. Never been before and am now at the age where it's worth getting everything checked (big Four-oh)

I have also just played around with Comply P tips, small and medium. Then trimmed the tip of the medium down, without trimming the red bore. This seems to be the right tip for me for etys. Small was slightly too small. (Stock foams dont work for me, small is far too small and medium creates too much pressure).

I'll try the trimmed Comply P medium and see how I get on. If that turns out to be the one, I can then move on to filter swapping.

But just a note on the trimmed medium Comply P, I feel like I'm getting a fuller bass response than I did with thr medium dual flange silicone (on the ER4XR). That surprised me.

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #19,125 of 19,249
Guys. From your experience, which of the Etymotic official eartips are the best for you and why?

There seems to be three types that comes with the earphones: The small frosted ones, the clear Large and the even clearer (translucent) and super softer (both Large and Small). Also there are the Grey Large ones but those must to be purchased separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back