If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #19,021 of 19,246
from triple flange to double flange? which type? I tough the double flange is only additional eartips
Huh. I must have had a brain fart recently. I would have sworn that trying to get Etymotic-made triple flange tips was getting more difficult in my part of the world, but I see stock in most shops.

Ignore me.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #19,023 of 19,246
I've been off the forum for over a decade. I've been using primarily etymotics for the last 22 years, including the original er4s. I recently went out and bought a bunch of budget IEMs. They were all insanely bassy, even the ones that were criticized for not having enough bass. I'm convinced that most kids today have never heard a properly flat audio system. I came back to head-fi to see if there were any recommendations for a flat response IEM. It seems like etymotic is still the only company making them. These days I mostly use the ety er2se, but I occasionally pull out the old er4s with it's bulky cable. With all the advancements in IEMs over the last couple of decades it's amazing that they still hold up.
I have ER4xr and HF5 for couple years. I haven't used them for quite some time as I mainly use speakers and full-size headphones. Recently I started to commute and I acquired bunch of newer popular IEMs to see what's about. That's including some pricer ones than ER4. In the end, I still prefer these Etymotics.

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #19,026 of 19,246
Interestingly, I also got an ER2se. I probably prefer the balance and tonality of ER2se to ER4xr, despite the sound quality is a bit better on ER4xr. That's making me wonder what ER4sr sounds like.
I have an er2xr as well as the se version. I also have an original er4p from the early 00's. I've always heavily preferred the the neutral response of the s and se versions over the noticeably bass tilted xr/p versions. Thankfully the old er4p can be converted to the S version with an adapter. I think Harman's research on listener preference has shifted the market away from accuracy and neutrality, which I think is positive for average consumers, but a negative for the hi-fi world.

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #19,027 of 19,246
Out of curiosity, is there a reason why Etymotic is seemingly transitioning towards double flange tips from triple?

We're not really transitioning from one to another as much as offering the dual flange as alternative option. Both options ship with our earphones now

For years, some folks weren't happy with the depth of the insertion with the 3-flange eartips (others like it just fine). the 2-flange has a more forward seal to it; The first flange will seal in more users' ears, whereas the 3-flange typically gets a seal further back on the eartip.

For me, I can use either on the ER2/3/4, but I have a harder time getting a seal on the EVO with the 3-flange unless I use a cut-down version of the longer 3-flange eartip.

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #19,028 of 19,246
Interestingly, I also got an ER2se. I probably prefer the balance and tonality of ER2se to ER4xr, despite the sound quality is a bit better on ER4xr. That's making me wonder what ER4sr sounds like.
I also enjoy my er2Se over my er4xr. The timbre of the er2 is amazing.
What songs highlight the difference in balance, tonality or timbre between the 2SE and 4XR? I’m now curious and want to demo some 2 units.
We're not really transitioning from one to another as much as offering the dual flange as alternative option. Both options ship with our earphones now

For years, some folks weren't happy with the depth of the insertion with the 3-flange eartips (others like it just fine). the 2-flange has a more forward seal to it; The first flange will seal in more users' ears, whereas the 3-flange typically gets a seal further back on the eartip.

For me, I can use either on the ER2/3/4, but I have a harder time getting a seal on the EVO with the 3-flange unless I use a cut-down version of the longer 3-flange eartip.
Maybe I should try the double flange tips. All the demo tips I have are sitting idly in my chest of IEM accessories. I’ve been happy with the triple flange and foam tips because of isolation, so I never bothered to pay attention to the double.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #19,029 of 19,246

I find the 2-flange most comfortable and sounds best on my EVO, but they can’t get a good grip on the nozzle, they are too slippery. I’ve had a 2-flange tip staying in my ear canal several times already after I removed the earphones. Luckily I was home and was able to remove it with tweezers. But I can’t risk that when I’m outside so I’ve given up on the 2-flange tips.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #19,031 of 19,246
What songs highlight the difference in balance, tonality or timbre between the 2SE and 4XR? I’m now curious and want to demo some 2 units.
Anything with acoustic instruments and vocals really shows off the difference to me.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe it but I associate timbre with being able to hear that 'rattle' of the body of the instrument as it's being played.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #19,032 of 19,246
I think I'll have to get another pair of IEMs. The filters of the Etys just don't last long enough for me. New ones last a couple of weeks, and "recycled" ones (via alcohol bath, then drying in a dessicant box) last days at most, if not just hours. :slight_frown:

Is there anything sonically close to the ER4SR that wouldn't require me to spend hundreds of dollars a year on filters?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #19,033 of 19,246
Why not obtain replacement filters? Two weeks seems abnormally short for a lifespan.

That said, if you’re set on an alternative, there is the Final Audio A-series in my experience. Tone-wise, very similar if not outright identical. Isolation will obviously differ though.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #19,034 of 19,246
Why not obtain replacement filters?

Because, as I said, they only last me a couple of weeks.

Two weeks seems abnormally short for a lifespan.

It is. But that's how it is. I keep my ears clean, but maybe my wax has become very liquid in my old age.

That said, if you’re set on an alternative, there is the Final Audio A-series in my experience. Tone-wise, very similar if not outright identical. Isolation will obviously differ though.

Thanks, I'll have look now.

Ah. It doesn't look they'll fit me well. I have one IEM of that type, and getting a seal is a pain in the butt. See, my ear canals are cavernous (the Wizard said he needed 2.5 times as much acrylic for my CIEM as he did for most people's), and my earfolds are especially pronounced, I guess; as a result, most IEMs (and TWSs) don't fit me: the body hits my earfolds and the tip barely touches the ear canal, while I need a tip that digs deep to finally get a seal. The body of the ER4SR disappears entirely in my ear canal. And no, my secret name isn't Dumbo; my ears actually look normal, from the outside. I'm... well, okay then, I am a secret Dumbo.

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #19,035 of 19,246
Because, as I said, they only last me a couple of weeks.

It is. But that's how it is. I keep my ears clean, but maybe my wax has become very liquid in my old age.
Human biology really do be mysterious sometimes.
Thanks, I'll have look now.

Ah. It doesn't look they'll fit me well. I have one IEM of that type, and getting a seal is a pain in the butt. See, my ear canals are cavernous (the Wizard said he needed 2.5 times as much acrylic for my CIEM as he did for most people's), and my earfolds are especially pronounced, I guess; as a result, most IEMs (and TWSs) don't fit me: the body hits my earfolds and the tip barely touches the ear canal, while I need a tip that digs deep to finally get a seal. The body of the ER4SR disappears entirely in my ear canal. And no, my secret name isn't Dumbo; my ears actually look normal, from the outside. I'm... well, okay then, I am a secret Dumbo.
The only suggestions I have left at this point are custom solutions. You have mentioned CIEMs, so the other one is custom sleeves that slot over off-the-shelf IEMs, which means you take advantage of the IEMs you already own or are familiar with.

I have no affiliation with any of these links. I merely know of the existence of these solutions.

(been sold out for a long time but most relevant to this thread) https://www.etymotic.com/product/custom-earphone-molds/

https://amp.earplugstore.com/cusfitearmol1.html

https://service.shure.com/s/article/custom-molds-for-earphones-how-to-what-and-where?language=en_US

There are very few Ety-style bullet-tip buds in the market. One is the Final Audio E-series, but based on my brief trials at stores, those have more low end presence than the ER4XR, which as you know have more low end than the SR.

The following, I only know they exist, and have zero firsthand experience.

There is a Chinese clone of the ER4B called the Yu9 U-554.

Shure updated its IEM lineup and introduced a bullet tip called the Aonic 4. No idea on tuning.

Tanchjim Darling. No idea on tuning.

That’s about it as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back