If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #18,976 of 19,254
Etymotic-ER4XR-ER4SR-earbuds-0005.jpg
Is this supposed to be how you’re meant to wear Ety IEMs? I thought these are meant for deep insertion?

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/etymotic-research-er4xr-review/

Most people insert deeper than that. It looks like those tips might also be too large.

But, let's be honest here, stock images don't always show the correct usage. :wink:

99185814-young-man-holding-soldering-iron.jpg

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #18,977 of 19,254
Most people insert deeper than that. It looks like those tips might also be too large.

But, let's be honest here, stock images don't always show the correct usage. :wink:

99185814-young-man-holding-soldering-iron.jpg
He just has really tough hands and doesn't feel pain.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #18,978 of 19,254
Everyones ears are different, but mine definitely go in waaaaay more deep than that.
IMG_1616.jpeg
Mine definitely go deep like yours. But yeah, everyone’s ears are different.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #18,979 of 19,254
Mine definitely go deep like yours. But yeah, everyone’s ears are different.
When I want the isolation I love it. I feel like a plane could crash outside my apartment and I wouldn't even hear it.

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #18,980 of 19,254
Sep 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #18,981 of 19,254
Question about the filter pack.

I’m reading the description for each of the colored filters. I want to use one of my Ety pairs for listening to spoken speech rather than music. Think TED talks and Zoom meetings.

Would the white tips be my go-to?

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #18,982 of 19,254
Question about the filter pack.

I’m reading the description for each of the colored filters. I want to use one of my Ety pairs for listening to spoken speech rather than music. Think TED talks and Zoom meetings.

Would the white tips be my go-to?

That's going to be somewhat personal. The white will definitely damp the midrange peak a lot less than the 1 stock green or the brown.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #18,983 of 19,254
Experiencing weird behavior with my ER4. Feels like balance has shifted slightly towards the right side, and sometimes most sounds come from this earpiece. Everything was "centered" before.
Does anyone have a clue what that might be? New eartips didn't work. I haven't tried to change the filters yet, don't have a tool for that at the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #18,984 of 19,254
Experiencing weird behavior with my ER4. Feels like balance has shifted slightly towards the right side, and sometimes most sounds come from this earpiece. Everything was "centered" before.
Does anyone have a clue what that might be? New eartips didn't work. I haven't tried to change the filters yet, don't have a tool for that at the moment.

Filters are the most likely thing. It's likely that your left filter is getting clogged.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #18,986 of 19,254
Even though it looks clean with magnifying glass?

I can't give a definitive answer for your particular case, but it is possible it could look clean and be contaminated.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #18,987 of 19,254
Anyone else feel that the ER4SR (especially with a small sub-bass boost) may be the ultimate IEM for rock and metal music? I feel that they do distorted guitar particularly well, and are a very "fast" sounding IEM. They are obviously not forgiving of poorly recorded or mastered music though.

I've had my ER4SR for just over a year now and still love them as much as the day I got them. I got them September 6th of last year. I've tried other new IEM's since, some I've kept, and some I've sold, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of these.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #18,988 of 19,254
Anyone else feel that the ER4SR (especially with a small sub-bass boost) may be the ultimate IEM for rock and metal music? I feel that they do distorted guitar particularly well, and are a very "fast" sounding IEM. They are obviously not forgiving of poorly recorded or mastered music though.

I've had my ER4SR for just over a year now and still love them as much as the day I got them. I got them September 6th of last year. I've tried other new IEM's since, some I've kept, and some I've sold, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of these.
Funny you make this post. I first got into Etymotic with the 4XR, then jumped over to the EVO. Back when I was trialing the ER4XR, I recall thinking that the SR was too flat for my taste.

Now either my ears have changed or my tastes have changed, but I recently grabbed a used ER4SR in good condition, and I’m enjoying it stock. No EQ tweaks, no filter tweaks (kept it at green).

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #18,989 of 19,254
Funny you make this post. I first got into Etymotic with the 4XR, then jumped over to the EVO. Back when I was trialing the ER4XR, I recall thinking that the SR was too flat for my taste.

Now either my ears have changed or my tastes have changed, but I recently grabbed a used ER4SR in good condition, and I’m enjoying it stock. No EQ tweaks, no filter tweaks (kept it at green).
I do really appreciate them with no EQ as well, but I think they sound a tad more fun with just a small (+3dB) boost under 125hz. They don't absolutely need it and I have gotten used to them with no EQ before.

I'm still not sure which I prefer if I was forced to choose just one, between my ER4SR or my Aful Performer 8. I got my ER4SR for $199, and the Aful Performer 8 was $369. ER4SR is just a single BA, and the P8 is 1 DD with 7BA's. It's still kind of crazy to me that it's even close with 1 BA per side, versus 8 drivers per side. I can't even say that the P8 does any one thing better, just differently.

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #18,990 of 19,254
I do really appreciate them with no EQ as well, but I think they sound a tad more fun with just a small (+3dB) boost under 125hz. They don't absolutely need it and I have gotten used to them with no EQ before.

I'm still not sure which I prefer if I was forced to choose just one, between my ER4SR or my Aful Performer 8. I got my ER4SR for $199, and the Aful Performer 8 was $369. ER4SR is just a single BA, and the P8 is 1 DD with 7BA's. It's still kind of crazy to me that it's even close with 1 BA per side, versus 8 drivers per side. I can't even say that the P8 does any one thing better, just differently.
I don’t use EQ on my headphones, not because I have some kind of axe to grind against it or because I’m a “purist,” but rather, because I find it annoying to have to change EQ presets on my 5K every time I swap my gear around. One preset for one pair can be very wonky on another pair.

And there are times when I swap more than once a day 🤣

I consider myself lucky that I generally like the fairly different sounds each pair I own makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back