If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 14, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #18,541 of 19,249
after investigating I found that mesh inside the old filter is still intact, either I'm lucky or my suspicion about removing tools is wrong 🤦🏻‍♂️now trying a method to clean it, since there's no local etymotic retail in my place.
If you use the Comply Tx series tips (they have wax guard), there won't be need for any filter changes. My go to foamies if not using silicone tips.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #18,543 of 19,249
learn my lesson, do not attempt to clean the filter using damp alcohol brush, as my big brain yesterday told me to clean the filter too after cleaning the eartips, as I can quess, the liquid blocked the mesh inside as well 🤦🏻‍♂️
now has to replace the filter with DIY filter from piece of face mask but not really effective

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #18,544 of 19,249
as I can quess, the liquid blocked the mesh inside as well 🤦🏻‍♂️
Why not place it in a sealed box (e.g. pelican) or ziploc bag with silica gel packet?
Leave it overnight, and the liquid from inside should be removed.

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #18,545 of 19,249
I think my ER4SR with the following EQ really is end game for me. When I listen to music with them I’m really not wanting or thinking about more. I have no complaints when I’m using them.

A little more bass just under 125hz, and a little boost up top just for some extra sparkle. Add earplug level isolation on top and it truly puts me in my own world with just myself and the music. There could be a plane crash right outside my apartment and I wouldn’t even know and I’d just keep enjoying the music.
IMG_0582.png

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #18,546 of 19,249
Add earplug level isolation on top and it truly puts me in my own world with just myself and the music. There could be a plane crash right outside my apartment and I wouldn’t even know and I’d just keep enjoying the music.

I so wish. But as someone who, over less than ayear, has had to live through several renovations and remodeling in neighboring appartments, a building being demolished accross the street, and then a temporary building (with metal being sawed) erected at the same place over the past four months just to serve as a sales shop for the building that'll be built at the same place at the end of the year ... I can tell you even the ER4SR cannot make the world disappear. ER4SR combined with construction-work earmuffs do an incredible combined job, but ouch, the earmuffs hurt after a while, even after I've reduced the clamping force.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #18,550 of 19,249
I enjoy my ER4XR with the following EQ tweak. A subtle boost to the highs and lows. But even flat these sound great. The EQ turns it into a little more "fun" sound for listening, but I also use these flat for monitoring my guitar playing and mixing. I love the detail in these headphones, haven't listened to anything that exposes details in a song more than these so far

EQ.jpg

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #18,551 of 19,249
I enjoy my ER4XR with the following EQ tweak. A subtle boost to the highs and lows. But even flat these sound great. The EQ turns it into a little more "fun" sound for listening, but I also use these flat for monitoring my guitar playing and mixing. I love the detail in these headphones, haven't listened to anything that exposes details in a song more than these so far

EQ.jpg
So, over the ER4S, this is about a 7-8db increase in the bass?

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #18,552 of 19,249
I went through three or four filters in short order. At least one of these filters was bad from the start (maybe two; I can't recall). The filters I'm using now, I've been using since last year -- no problem yet.

When will I learn not to JINX myself? 😫 The right side is dead. 😭

I'll quickly run out of filters.

They're not dirty, mind you. Clear black -- not a speck of cerumen. I clean my ears twice daily.

I wonder what happened. I used the HF5 for years and years, and never had to even think about the filters. Now? One of the filters for my ER4SR didn't work from the get-go, and the others lasted from a few weeks to three months. Did Ety change how their filters are produced?

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #18,553 of 19,249
More bass is not an upgrade by itself. Some may even argue to the contrary
Your forgetting the ER4XR is aimed at people who avoided the ER4S or liked the faux warm sound the ER4PT had. It totally possible for people to find the ER4XR or ER2XR more neutral even though they objectively aren't. I liked the ER2XR way more but I'm not keen on DD decay hence I do a 6db 105Hz low shelf on ER4SR.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #18,554 of 19,249
Your forgetting the ER4XR is aimed at people who avoided the ER4S or liked the faux warm sound the ER4PT had. It totally possible for people to find the ER4XR or ER2XR more neutral even though they objectively aren't. I liked the ER2XR way more but I'm not keen on DD decay hence I do a 6db 105Hz low shelf on ER4SR.
No argument here, I only pointed out that "upgrade" is not the word I'd use. "Preference" might be more adequate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back