If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 23, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #17,791 of 19,251
I have checked the box.

(inside the plastic bag that is inside the big case) there are two transparent pairs and those looks to be same size as the one I am interested in compared size to size by the look I dont have a caliper with me atm to measure exactly (its 2 am here but I plan to check tomorrow - during the day)
(there is also one pair of grey ones in there but they are clearly smaller size).

But are those two spare pairs called "standard size" that would make sense maybe...

I don't know which ones to get to get exactly same as pre-installed ones?
Standard sized, frost triple flange (the ones linked to) have always been ' default' for ER4.

May 23, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #17,792 of 19,251
I have checked the box.

(inside the plastic bag that is inside the big case) there are two transparent pairs and those looks to be same size as the one I am interested in compared size to size just by the look (I dont have a caliper with me atm to measure exactly its 2 am here but I plan to check tomorrow - during the day)
There is also one pair of grey ones in there but they are clearly smaller size.

But are those two spare pairs called "standard size" that would make sense maybe...no idea.

I don't know which ones to get to get exactly same as pre-installed ones?

I’m pretty sure the clear ones are “standard size,” which equates to “medium.” They make large in clear and grey. They also make small in grey and kind of a bluish tinted clear.

It really isn’t especially clear which is which and what size each one is. Personally, after ordering a number of different sizes from Etymotic I ended up going with some third party ones from Amazon. I know this doesn’t solve your issue since you’re looking for a specific size. I just mention it because I understand the frustration.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #17,793 of 19,251

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-05-24 03-11-37.jpg
    Screenshot from 2022-05-24 03-11-37.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
May 23, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #17,794 of 19,251
Thank you for this nice comparison. What is the diameter and length of the Westone Silicones that you use?

Diameter: 13.5 mm
Length: 14 mm

That's the only pair I brought with me from France to Taiwan, unfortunately. It's the ideal size for me for Westone-type IEMs, but for the Etys, which benefit from deeper insertion, it's probably too big; the tips tend to slide out.

I'll note that the noise isolation is surprisingly good, especially considering that the material looks rather thin. These tips isolate better than other tips that look like they should isolate better.

May 23, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #17,795 of 19,251
Standard sized, frost triple flange (the ones linked to) have always been ' default' for ER4.
This was also confirmed for me by the Etymotic themselves.

Too bad my ear canals aren't "standard size." <grumble> The frosted triflanges are way too small for me, unless I want to use my Etys as Q-tips.

May 23, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #17,796 of 19,251
I have been enjoying my ER4P for a number of years until the cable joint became loose and is now intermittent, I could not find a replacement cable with the original two point connection, only cable available on Etymotic website is the mmcx connection, can anybody help?

May 24, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #17,797 of 19,251
Guys, what would be a recommended EQ setting to make the ER2SE mimic ER2XR's frequency response? Someone suggested +6db low shelf @125hz Q7.0, but I'm not sure it's right.
Thanks
Not sure about the exact Qs and peaks and shelves but you'll need to set the preamp gain to -6/-7dB so it doesn't clip and distort.

May 24, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #17,798 of 19,251
I have been enjoying my ER4P for a number of years until the cable joint became loose and is now intermittent, I could not find a replacement cable with the original two point connection, only cable available on Etymotic website is the mmcx connection, can anybody help?

Hm. I can make an eBay search:
There are more. Just make a search for "ER4P cable."

May 24, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #17,799 of 19,251
Thanks for your help, I will try the first one. I brought from the second supplier but it didn't work, the third one also is suffering from cable issues.

May 25, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #17,803 of 19,251
Try Lunashops.com They have many Ety cables to chose from for both old and new variants.

Lunashops also has an AliExpress store, I would order from there instead. Cables for the ER4B/S/P must have a resistor in it (22 for P, 100 for S), a lot of Lunashops' cables do not have a resistor in them.

They have one, LN005997, you could try out that one, but I've had the ER2/ER3/new ER4 equivalent, LN006057 and the build quality was not very good. They also have the LN007628 which has an adjustable resistor in it. I have their other adjustable resistor cable, LN007689, which I bought for the ER3SE, and the build quality is very good.

IIRC the best recable "mod" for the ER4B/S/P is buying an adapter that lets you use any regular MMCX cable with the ety. This adapter must have a resistor in it so you still get the original sound.

May 25, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #17,804 of 19,251
Lunashops also has an AliExpress store, I would order from there instead. Cables for the ER4B/S/P must have a resistor in it (22 for P, 100 for S), a lot of Lunashops' cables do not have a resistor in them.

They have one, LN005997, you could try out that one, but I've had the ER2/ER3/new ER4 equivalent, LN006057 and the build quality was not very good. They also have the LN007628 which has an adjustable resistor in it. I have their other adjustable resistor cable, LN007689, which I bought for the ER3SE, and the build quality is very good.

IIRC the best recable "mod" for the ER4B/S/P is buying an adapter that lets you use any regular MMCX cable with the ety. This adapter must have a resistor in it so you still get the original sound.
Most thankful for your help, where can I find the adaptor with the resistor, that would be the long term fix

May 26, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #17,805 of 19,251
2 days ago I ordered Comply P Series eartips from Amazon TR. I tested it yesterday with the Etymotic ER3SE for several hours. Thus, the lack of bass of the earphone was eliminated. ER3SE now has a much more regular sound. There is currently no dominant voice. Considering that ER3SE is a studio reference earphone, ER3SE may function better from now on. Also, Complys are much more comfortable than triple flange eartips. ER3SE perform more successfully, especially for aggressive/fast music genres such as death metal, thrash metal and core music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back