If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 31, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #17,191 of 19,272
The ER4/ER3 using the 2nd bend Is why they can get 10Hz to 18KHz with 1 BA driver. It why 10mm & 3BA woofer are used in other IEM's a broken seal easier to happen when only the 1st bend. Many don't even insert the ER4XR correctly either and just assume the ER4 is a no bass IEM with bad treble. I noticed It when doing 6db on a ER4SR I had while back It wasn't night & day, because I struggled to get a actual seal without causing a pressure change. It doesn't help when people see 0.6 ~ 1.4% on few ER4 units and let that colour their impression when they fail to get a seal.
Isn't the single BA Ety's only up to 16kHz?
Doing a sine swept with the ER3SE and ER4SR with a small triple flange, I found a very linear treble from 7k-14kHz without any significant peaks or dips. After that the treble rolls off until it completely stops sounding at 16kHz.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #17,194 of 19,272
Hmmm, so basically I can tell when it’s even at 1Hz and it’s effectively the BA driver breathing once a second haha. Kinda trippy stuff. On the upper range it’s 17865Hz where I could no longer tell a difference if it was on or not.

By the way everybody, just found a killer track if anybody out there wants to see what their etys are really capable of in terms of bass texture:
Kill That Noise by Black Sun Empire

&

Shitbox by Noisia

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #17,195 of 19,272
Lustmord - Beyond. Also shows the ER4SR & ER4XR can respond to loud sub bass blasts, It good one too check if folk have bothered to get a seal on It. Speaking of seal I remember when Reddit got mad that the ER4XR was doing 4db sub bass with 1 BA when nearly everyone there said the ER4SR was only flat because the driver can do any bass?, Yes they actually said that.

The mid/upper bass is where BA differs from DD, On the ER4XR there is no bass bleed like when I try Grindcore or Electric Wizard's - Return Trip.

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #17,196 of 19,272
I have a cable? problem with the er3xr

When i go walking after a period of 20minutes or so, the left side loses volume.

I swopped earpieces around and it then lost volume on the right so i would expect the issue not to be with the drivers but the cable and/or connection.

I took everything apart and cleaned all the connections/cables with Isopropyl alcohol and it then worked ok until i took it for a walk.

I do not seem to be able to repliciate this when at home so i guess it has something to do with the movement (of walking)

Any ideas/similar experiences?

d

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #17,197 of 19,272

When i go walking after a period of 20minutes or so, the left side loses volume.

I swopped earpieces around and it then lost volume on the right so i would expect the issue not to be with the drivers but the cable and/or connection.

I took everything apart and cleaned all the connections/cables with Isopropyl alcohol and it then worked ok until i took it for a walk.

I do not seem to be able to repliciate this when at home so i guess it has something to do with the movement (of walking)

d
probably dirt or something blocking the connection.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #17,198 of 19,272

d
First, the silly things. Check that the plug in the DAP/cellphone is pushed completely in when you notice one ear getting quiet. If the sound comes back, voila!
Otherwise, I would first bet on some acoustic issue instead of cables. Bad contacts are much more likely to make the music cut off, than to act as a volume knobs.
Perhaps it's wax and you easily get the issue outside because on the go your ear canal gets hotter, melting wax more. + shaking it with your movements could increase how much will move toward the nozzle? IDK I'm brainstorming ^_^.

Just to be clear, when you say you swapped the earpieces, you just mean putting the right side(with right channel music) in your left ear without unplugging anything? Because if you detached the drivers from the cables and plugged them back but swapped, the conclusions are going to be different.

And of course, it could be gremlins trained by the CIA, or 5G towers , I'm not ruling anything out.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #17,199 of 19,272

d

When you listen at home, do you generally stay in the same position? When you walk are you moving briskly? Does the cable move around a lot?

The earphones should function perfectly in both scenarios, but if there's an intermittency somewhere, it might show itself more when you're moving around. And I agree, it does sound more likely to be in the cable than the earpiece.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #17,200 of 19,272
What does "losing volume" mean? Does it mean no sound? Because I interpreted it as quieter sound, not as no sound. Which is why I ruled out the cable issue. Obviously if I misunderstood, my reasoning is worthless(like my English teachers).

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #17,201 of 19,272

d

Are you using the flanged tips? If so, try swapping to foam tips and see if you would replicate the problem.

I have experienced this lots of times during my almost 20 years of ER4 series ownership (mid-session volume/sound pressure dropping off or sound thinning out) and that would only happen to flanged silicons - I always take it to be caused by the central tube of the silicon (which is soft as it is also silicon) being warmed, flexed and bent over prolonged use and repeated movement of the body (including the constant change of shape of the ear canal) during the day, possibly also through interacting with the first bend of the canal. It seldom happens when I put it in my ears for the first time of the day.

That never happens to foam tips as the central tube is made of some hard plastics......PVC? not sure, but it won't be bent in any event. I know all ERs sound better with flanges but for the above reason I have to switch to foams sometimes.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #17,202 of 19,272

Are you using the flanged tips? If so, try swapping to foam tips and see if you would replicate the problem.

I have experienced this lots of times during my almost 20 years of ER4 series ownership (mid-session volume/sound pressure dropping off or sound thinning out) and that would only happen to flanged silicons - I always take it to be caused by the central tube of the silicon (which is soft as it is also silicon) being warmed, flexed and bent over prolonged use and repeated movement of the body (including the constant change of shape of the ear canal) during the day, possibly also through interacting with the first bend of the canal. It seldom happens when I put it in my ears for the first time of the day.

That never happens to foam tips as the central tube is made of some hard plastics......PVC? not sure, but it won't be bent in any event. I know all ERs sound better with flanges but for the above reason I have to switch to foams sometimes.
Interestigly i tried the foam (using shure yellow with wax guard) and i rather liked the sound and fit, these (hopefully) will readicate the problem.

d

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #17,203 of 19,272
I would like to make a remark about the latest batches of the black foams ... I use them exclusively because of their sound quality and comfort, but their cores keep delaminating and falling out, the adhesive they use just fails
this is unlike a few years ago where the foams had solid build quality, it is only after the Lucid era that the adhesives in these foams start letting go

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #17,205 of 19,272
I would like to make a remark about the latest batches of the black foams ... I use them exclusively because of their sound quality and comfort, but their cores keep delaminating and falling out, the adhesive they use just fails
this is unlike a few years ago where the foams had solid build quality, it is only after the Lucid era that the adhesives in these foams start letting go
@carmatic - checking internally, we had an issue recently that was resolved quickly. Unfortunately, small number of tips went out before we caught it. I truly apologize for that.
Please contact me by PM, and I will get new tips sent to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back