If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #17,176 of 19,249
Oh yes sorry forgot to mention the AKG K712 Pro has a similar FR and sound to the ER4SR. Funny enough though since they’re big ol’ open-back cans, they sit somewhere between the SR and XR in terms of bass “feel”

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #17,179 of 19,249
For me the closest has definitely been the AKG K712 Pro. As well as perception if them being similar, it has a similar FR curve to show this. No surprise I guess since Harman acquired AKG and have basically made this incredible almost Harman Curve compliant pair.

My only gripe is the leather headband. Why real leather? Anyways just ethical issues I guess but it matters to me so there 🤪
Going to see if I can find a pair I can try. Currently auditioning a pair of DT880 600

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #17,181 of 19,249
My understanding is that the Ety target, which the ER4SR resemble very well has a lower bass than the Harman target. It appears, from what I am reading recently, that those who prefer the Harman target need this bass which I am finding hard to take in.
The Etymotic target for the SR/S variants do indeed have less bass than the Harman target. The Harman Target is very close to an Etymotic target with added bass (7-ish dB for over-ear/on-ear headphones and about 10dB for in-ear). I believe the Harman also might have a more relaxed treble as well (like the Etymotic target). Note that the Harman target has changed over the years. The most noticeable portion is the increase in bass response if memory serves. I could have sworn Olive-Welti had only a 5dB bump in bass initially.

The XR kind of adds about 5-ish dB of bass to the default Etymotic target, though with the EVO it's also included about 2-ish dB drop in the upper midrange in addition to the bass boost.

Edit: here's the Harman Target below.

Overlay-of-Harman-over-ear-headphone-and-in-ear-monitor-curves..jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #17,182 of 19,249
If anyone can help, I'd love to hear on that full sized headphone that sounds like the ER4...if it exists!
To me the question will be the other way around, honestly, if there is any IEM that sound like a full-size headphone, if it exists?....but what do I know? I'm now torturing myself listening to the ER-3SE and trying to make amends to what I'm missing from the Fostex full size, to see if at the end I will keep them, prefer the Klipsch X5 a lot more...and yes people will say that curves this and that....listen them and compare....I do not care about curves as everybody's ears are different...

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #17,183 of 19,249
The Etymotic target for the SR/S variants do indeed have less bass than the Harman target. The Harman Target is very close to an Etymotic target with added bass (7-ish dB for over-ear/on-ear headphones and about 10dB for in-ear). I believe the Harman also might have a more relaxed treble as well (like the Etymotic target). Note that the Harman target has changed over the years. The most noticeable portion is the increase in bass response if memory serves. I could have sworn Olive-Welti had only a 5dB bump in bass initially.

The XR kind of adds about 5-ish dB of bass to the default Etymotic target, though with the EVO it's also included about 2-ish dB drop in the upper midrange in addition to the bass boost.

7 ~ 12db is where the masking effect kicks In. I don't buy that IEM's need 8db to sound "Normal" and the fact on ASR Sean claimed Etymotic's SR line are No bass is even more suspect. You'd think they would do A/B's by EQ'ing many popular to mimic ER4SR bass to see if people only like the boost because 8db boost is their baseline sound?.

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #17,184 of 19,249
7 ~ 12db is where the masking effect kicks In. I don't buy that IEM's need 8db to sound "Normal" and the fact on ASR Sean claimed Etymotic's SR line are No bass is even more suspect. You'd think they would do A/B's by EQ'ing many popular to mimic ER4SR bass to see if people only like the boost because 8db boost is their baseline sound?.
I personally feel like around 4 to 5-ish dB is a good happy medium to add presence and body without taking much more away. Adding 8-10 is kind of absurd IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #17,187 of 19,249
Yeah the 4SR bass is so tasty. Not only accurate but linear, as you said. So much texture, especially if I listen to Black Sun Empire or Noisia, for instance.

One thing I just wanted to point out though and wonder if you guys agree, I think the issue with comparing IEMs like etys and other IEMs that don’t insert as far inside, and then on top of that also the overhead stuff, is that the FR requirements to produce a similar sound will be different. For example, the etys insert so far inside (especially with open-mouth custom moulds that go just beyond the second bend) that the BA driver is nearly perfectly coupled with your eardrum. That is a veeeery different thing to how you’ll receive sound when it has to come from a pair of overheads, or even IEMs that sit in the first bend. Etymotic know this and have compensated for it in their FR.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #17,188 of 19,249
Just testing out my Sennheiser HD25 and realised how fun they are to listen to, and I’m somebody who would comfortably state the 4SR to be my endgame set.
So perhaps that’s an opinion combination that would also be the case with somebody here :)

I mean I would say the sound signature is actually quite similar to the 4XR, but what you get is more of that kick drum feel simply because you have a pair of large dynamic drivers, however the bass can bloat a bit more in some cases - is this what people may describe as a slow response?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #17,189 of 19,249
Yeah the 4SR bass is so tasty. Not only accurate but linear, as you said. So much texture, especially if I listen to Black Sun Empire or Noisia, for instance.

One thing I just wanted to point out though and wonder if you guys agree, I think the issue with comparing IEMs like etys and other IEMs that don’t insert as far inside, and then on top of that also the overhead stuff, is that the FR requirements to produce a similar sound will be different. For example, the etys insert so far inside (especially with open-mouth custom moulds that go just beyond the second bend) that the BA driver is nearly perfectly coupled with your eardrum. That is a veeeery different thing to how you’ll receive sound when it has to come from a pair of overheads, or even IEMs that sit in the first bend. Etymotic know this and have compensated for it in their FR.

The ER4/ER3 using the 2nd bend Is why they can get 10Hz to 18KHz with 1 BA driver. It why 10mm & 3BA woofer are used in other IEM's a broken seal easier to happen when only the 1st bend. Many don't even insert the ER4XR correctly either and just assume the ER4 is a no bass IEM with bad treble. I noticed It when doing 6db on a ER4SR I had while back It wasn't night & day, because I struggled to get a actual seal without causing a pressure change. It doesn't help when people see 0.6 ~ 1.4% on few ER4 units and let that colour their impression when they fail to get a seal.

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #17,190 of 19,249
The ER4/ER3 using the 2nd bend Is why they can get 10Hz to 18KHz with 1 BA driver. It why 10mm & 3BA woofer are used in other IEM's a broken seal easier to happen when only the 1st bend. Many don't even insert the ER4XR correctly either and just assume the ER4 is a no bass IEM with bad treble. I noticed It when doing 6db on a ER4SR I had while back It wasn't night & day, because I struggled to get a actual seal without causing a pressure change. It doesn't help when people see 0.6 ~ 1.4% on few ER4 units and let that colour their impression when they fail to get a seal.
Yes precisely. A good seal with a deep insert (so that you can couple the ba driver to the eardrum without much of your ear tissue getting in the way) cannot be stressed enough. The difference in bass when there’s the tiniest leak on my 4SR is kinda worrying. Worrying in the sense that I know reviewers will write them off as inadequate or boring :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back