If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #17,161 of 19,249
What did you go for when you said you went for accuracy?

By the way ACS Customs Evolve are incredibly detailed and have tremendous bass. A tiny bleed into mids but nothing worth crying about too much (in case you wondered :))
Clarification: ER4.
"Tremendous bass" sounds ominous to me, can you clarify comparison to some Ety, e.g. ER4?

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #17,165 of 19,249
I know I can’t stop praising the ER4SR and how much of an important move it was professionally for me to ditch the ER4XR for the SR, but it’s just mindblowing how much of an endgame these are! I have used so many headphones now for my Roland TD25 drums and none have given me the separation, clarity and dynamics like the 4SR does. Love love love them! No distortion when playing along to tracks wired through Roland module aux input.

Can’t stress how annoyed I was at the 4XR for it’s distortion of the double-bass drum, especially when playing with backing tracks.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #17,166 of 19,249
I have been a very lucky owner/user of the ER4SR almost since launch.

I find myself in a position where I would like to find, if possible, a full size headphone that has the same sound signature.

I know that by using these almost daily (along with a Beyer 1770) I have gotten used to their sound (and how things "should" sound with them) and I can go back to working on speakers and the translation is working well. Clients always happy.

I would like to work more on a full size headphones for comfort as I find out that I am just OK with my 1770s.

Which headphone out there is the closest to the ER4SR sound signature and detail? Is there an equivalent?

From research, it looks like if a headphone has a frequency response like the ER4SR then it is deemed bass-feeble and bright. That being said, I always felt the bass response of the SR was rather clear and precise and has never been an obstacle to know where to land audio.

I also enjoy music with them (almost daily) but with some rock genres they do tire my ears (was wondering if I should buy the filter tuning set they sell and see if I can "shape" them to be more friendly to metal guitars)

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #17,167 of 19,249
I have been a very lucky owner/user of the ER4SR almost since launch.

I find myself in a position where I would like to find, if possible, a full size headphone that has the same sound signature.

I know that by using these almost daily (along with a Beyer 1770) I have gotten used to their sound (and how things "should" sound with them) and I can go back to working on speakers and the translation is working well. Clients always happy.

I would like to work more on a full size headphones for comfort as I find out that I am just OK with my 1770s.

Which headphone out there is the closest to the ER4SR sound signature and detail? Is there an equivalent?

From research, it looks like if a headphone has a frequency response like the ER4SR then it is deemed bass-feeble and bright. That being said, I always felt the bass response of the SR was rather clear and precise and has never been an obstacle to know where to land audio.

I also enjoy music with them (almost daily) but with some rock genres they do tire my ears (was wondering if I should buy the filter tuning set they sell and see if I can "shape" them to be more friendly to metal guitars)
You could either go a touch warmer with the filter kit or equalise to reduce by 2dB circa 10Hz mark

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #17,169 of 19,249
I know I can’t stop praising the ER4SR and how much of an important move it was professionally for me to ditch the ER4XR for the SR, but it’s just mindblowing how much of an endgame these are! I have used so many headphones now for my Roland TD25 drums and none have given me the separation, clarity and dynamics like the 4SR does. Love love love them! No distortion when playing along to tracks wired through Roland module aux input.

Can’t stress how annoyed I was at the 4XR for it’s distortion of the double-bass drum, especially when playing with backing tracks.
Never got that with ER4XR I sold way back and same with ER3XR. The ER4/ER3XR sounds just as good as the ER4SR when the bass boost is flattened, Outside of fun factor I don't get the idea behind the Harman tuning that boosting the bass will make the Headphone more speaker like?. The vented BA that the ER3XR/ER4XR have when mimicking SR bass just sounds like a ER4SR with more sub bass impact.

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #17,170 of 19,249
Never got that with ER4XR I sold way back and same with ER3XR. The ER4/ER3XR sounds just as good as the ER4SR when the bass boost is flattened, Outside of fun factor I don't get the idea behind the Harman tuning that boosting the bass will make the Headphone more speaker like?. The vented BA that the ER3XR/ER4XR have when mimicking SR bass just sounds like a ER4SR with more sub bass impact.
I totally agree but I’ve just found myself in a few instances during practice or gigs when an independent equaliser isn’t available, so needed that ideal FR to be built into the IEM. Also when using iphone through Chord and using Tidal there’s no EQ option :frowning2:

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #17,171 of 19,249
I totally agree but I’ve just found myself in a few instances during practice or gigs when an independent equaliser isn’t available, so needed that ideal FR to be built into the IEM. Also when using iphone through Chord and using Tidal there’s no EQ option :frowning2:
It real annoying when they don't even give a 5 band Graphic EQ, Since with bassy headphones you just need to do a cut instead of boosting. I already notice a difference, SR bass = No congestion, better imaging & everything sounds more 3D, the upper mids to Treble is not masked by the bass boost. But when compared to other IEM's the XR line is fantastic for some music without adding too much colour to the mix.

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #17,172 of 19,249
It real annoying when they don't even give a 5 band Graphic EQ, Since with bassy headphones you just need to do a cut instead of boosting. I already notice a difference, SR bass = No congestion, better imaging & everything sounds more 3D, the upper mids to Treble is not masked by the bass boost. But when compared to other IEM's the XR line is fantastic for some music without adding too much colour to the mix.
Great description!

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #17,174 of 19,249
If anyone can help, I'd love to hear on that full sized headphone that sounds like the ER4...if it exists!
For me the closest has definitely been the AKG K712 Pro. As well as perception if them being similar, it has a similar FR curve to show this. No surprise I guess since Harman acquired AKG and have basically made this incredible almost Harman Curve compliant pair.

My only gripe is the leather headband. Why real leather? Anyways just ethical issues I guess but it matters to me so there 🤪

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #17,175 of 19,249
If anyone can help, I'd love to hear on that full sized headphone that sounds like the ER4...if it exists!
Which ER4? The SR variants might be harder to find, I think the closest I’ve heard to that would be something like the Audeze Mobius, though that’s not quite there yet. For an XR variant, look towards something with the Harman curve. It should get you pretty close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back