If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 7, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #17,101 of 19,246
If I can't get the fit/comfort sorted out I'll be really disappointed. I'm absolutely sold on the sound and value the extreme isolation. Now it feels like I have pressure issues in one air, like it's clogged or I need to equalize. I can feel it when I swallow.

I usually equalize and release the air pressure inside my ears by slightly pulling my earlobe down, or by pressing the area in front of my tragus when using IEMs (especially the case with Etymotics)

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #17,102 of 19,246
If I can't get the fit/comfort sorted out I'll be really disappointed. I'm absolutely sold on the sound and value the extreme isolation. Now it feels like I have pressure issues in one air, like it's clogged or I need to equalize. I can feel it when I swallow.
I have been using:

Shure EABKF1-10S Small Foam Sleeves​

which are the most comfortable tips for my Etymotic ER4SR. They fit very well on the Etymotic and have never dislodged when removing from my ear. Excellent sound isolation and also no detriment to the audio quality of the Etymotic. They are very durable and one pair have lasted an extended period of time. I have tried all the supplied Etymotic tips including triple and double flanges as well as their foam tips. I have also tried Comply foam tips. The Shure tips are clearly the best, in my personal use, and can be worn for extended periods without issue. Obviously one would need to choose between the small, medium, and large sizes.
Purchased from Amazon.

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #17,103 of 19,246
I have been using:

Shure EABKF1-10S Small Foam Sleeves​

which are the most comfortable tips for my Etymotic ER4SR. They fit very well on the Etymotic and have never dislodged when removing from my ear. Excellent sound isolation and also no detriment to the audio quality of the Etymotic. They are very durable and one pair have lasted an extended period of time. I have tried all the supplied Etymotic tips including triple and double flanges as well as their foam tips. I have also tried Comply foam tips. The Shure tips are clearly the best, in my personal use, and can be worn for extended periods without issue. Obviously one would need to choose between the small, medium, and large sizes.
Purchased from Amazon.
Thanks. I'll check them out. I really want these Ety's to work.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #17,104 of 19,246
I'm reviving this old thread, cause I just decided to give a shot to the Ety's given my Klipsch die, and I got the ER3-SE, with the green stock filters and I found the same sound I always feel while listening IEM, even some of the most expensive ones, and custom made, the highs are rolled off too soon, and there is no sparkle or natural sound out of the cymbals, or at least not like the one we get with full size headphones. So my question is if someone with more experience using them, can point me on the right direction, I know they have different sets of filters, with different types of tuning, which will be the best choice to improve a little that last high end on the freq spectrum, or in other words, boost it a little bit....Any ideas...???

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #17,105 of 19,246
I'm reviving this old thread, cause I just decided to give a shot to the Ety's given my Klipsch die, and I got the ER3-SE, with the green stock filters and I found the same sound I always feel while listening IEM, even some of the most expensive ones, and custom made, the highs are rolled off too soon, and there is no sparkle or natural sound out of the cymbals, or at least not like the one we get with full size headphones. So my question is if someone with more experience using them, can point me on the right direction, I know they have different sets of filters, with different types of tuning, which will be the best choice to improve a little that last high end on the freq spectrum, or in other words, boost it a little bit....Any ideas...???
Get a 23 ohm adaptor it will turn It into a ER4SR or with EQ do a 5db 3KHz high self with the Q at 0.7 if you want slightly warm ER4SR.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #17,106 of 19,246
Thanks. I'll check them out. I really want these Ety's to work.
I have to say though I think getting custom moulds is probably the way to go. The only downside is they etys no longer sit flush but it’s amazing being able to remove an earphone out of one ear and have a conversation without having to dislodge anything each time. Also the isolation and sound quality are supreme.

just make sure when u get it done to mention you want an open mouth impression that will go slightly beyond the second bend. Very important. Get it as close to your eardrum as you can because it will enhance sound, isolation and therefore help with hearing protection much more.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #17,107 of 19,246
Get a 23 ohm adaptor it will turn It into a ER4SR or with EQ do a 5db 3KHz high self with the Q at 0.7 if you want slightly warm ER4SR.
I'm not looking to get a warmer sound, all the opposite, I want the sparkle I'm missing on the highs, the rest is just fine, well not very low extension either but that is understandable given the driver size, I feel the midrange and low ends are OK, what I have problem is the micro-details and extension on the highs....Also adding more resistance will increase the amount of power demanded from the amp, in this case a phone, right now it is not that loud, I have to trick it with a blank adapter and then hook them to it...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #17,108 of 19,246
I'm not looking to get a warmer sound, all the opposite, I want the sparkle I'm missing on the highs, the rest is just fine, well not very low extension either but that is understandable given the driver size, I feel the midrange and low ends are OK, what I have problem is the micro-details and extension on the highs....Also adding more resistance will increase the amount of power demanded from the amp, in this case a phone, right now it is not that loud, I have to trick it with a blank adapter and then hook them to it...
Hey there,

Just out of interest, what do you mean they’re not that loud? I’m asking as somebody who uses an iPhone X to drive my ER4SR, which are almost twice the impedance and 4dB/mW less sensitive than your ER3SE, and I have the volume at 85% which is sometimes uncomfortable but I can hear the sub-bass rumble and everything I need to in the midrange and treble. Definitely not rolled off as was the case in the Shure SE846.

So just wondering what phone you’re using and also which tips.

Thanks. I’m sure we can work this out for you. Dare I say it, there’s a few experts in the field of “things that might be bugging you about your etys” in here :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #17,109 of 19,246
Hey there,

Just out of interest, what do you mean they’re not that loud? I’m asking as somebody who uses an iPhone X to drive my ER4SR, which are almost twice the impedance and 4dB/mW less sensitive than your ER3SE, and I have the volume at 85% which is sometimes uncomfortable but I can hear the sub-bass rumble and everything I need to in the midrange and treble. Definitely not rolled off as was the case in the Shure SE846.

So just wondering what phone you’re using and also which tips.

Thanks. I’m sure we can work this out for you. Dare I say it, there’s a few experts in the field of “things that might be bugging you about your etys” in here :)
The problem with the new phones is that they adjust the output according to the impedance they see on the output, they can drive ones very loud, others as mainly all IEM I have tried, seems to have problems with the output, and it decreases it, if you connect a blank plug, or an extension, alone and after the IEM, the volume rises considerably....now sure about Apple as never tried one, and never will, but all the previous phones I have, had the same algorithm something like to protect your hearing they said...the tip and seal are fine, I'm not a newbie, I can't use theirs as they are horribly uncomfortable to me, so I use single flange, like mushroom type from Klipsch, and they seal pretty good, seal is not the issue, also with an amp, they sound same way highs are rolled off, hooked my Fostex, all of them, and no highs problems...

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #17,110 of 19,246
The problem with the new phones is that they adjust the output according to the impedance they see on the output, they can drive ones very loud, others as mainly all IEM I have tried, seems to have problems with the output, and it decreases it, if you connect a blank plug, or an extension, alone and after the IEM, the volume rises considerably....now sure about Apple as never tried one, and never will, but all the previous phones I have, had the same algorithm something like to protect your hearing they said...the tip and seal are fine, I'm not a newbie, I can't use theirs as they are horribly uncomfortable to me, so I use single flange, like mushroom type from Klipsch, and they seal pretty good, seal is not the issue, also with an amp, they sound same way highs are rolled off, hooked my Fostex, all of them, and no highs problems...
Hey, thanks for clarifying. I’d like to concentrate on the rolled off treble here and how much of a difference it makes when you insert the earphones really deep using triple or double flange tips. Using mushroom tips (as I once did) does no favours for treble and can muddy the bass, too.
It’s unfortunate you don’t get along with the deep insertion tips though. Any chance you can get customs?

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #17,111 of 19,246
Hey, thanks for clarifying. I’d like to concentrate on the rolled off treble here and how much of a difference it makes when you insert the earphones really deep using triple or double flange tips. Using mushroom tips (as I once did) does no favours for treble and can muddy the bass, too.
It’s unfortunate you don’t get along with the deep insertion tips though. Any chance you can get customs?
Please, I'm not a newbie asking for help...I got customs once, and I still go the molds inside my fridge, like 10 years now maybe, no way I will use again them, very uncomfortable, and same dull sound...my experience is that IEM, no matter the price, will never perform at the same level of full-size cans, and I accept that...no arguing here, one for each labor...I know how to use tips, trust me, that is not the issue.
I know personally almost every single manufacturer in the headphone amplifier industry, and some manufacturers of headphones as well...please I'm not trying to sound arrogant, just trying to find someone with experience enough in IEM, specially Etymotics, and I'm using single flange tips, like mushroom type, perfect for me...

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #17,112 of 19,246
After trying my ER3XR + 75ohm, I've noticed the ER3/ER4 can output some serious sub bass when I listen to Lustmords Beyond and Drone doom. With EQ the ER4SR/ER4XR can turn easily into bass cannons without any distortion despite being Single BA IEM's.

I've ordered the ER2SE cheap on the US amazon, Despite being Single DD it easily the fastest decay/attack wise pretty much BA tier, and they seem to get a res/detail boost with brown filters.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #17,113 of 19,246
Adding an impedance adapter doesn't add to the warmth, but it will give you the upper mid and treble shine you need.

Attachments

• graph (9).png
    graph (9).png
    275.5 KB · Views: 0
  • graph (9).png
    graph (9).png
    275.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #17,114 of 19,246
After trying my ER3XR + 75ohm, I've noticed the ER3/ER4 can output some serious sub bass when I listen to Lustmords Beyond and Drone doom. With EQ the ER4SR/ER4XR can turn easily into bass cannons without any distortion despite being Single BA IEM's.

I've ordered the ER2SE cheap on the US amazon, Despite being Single DD it easily the fastest decay/attack wise pretty much BA tier, and they seem to get a res/detail boost with brown filters.

Yep I love my ER2SE with the brown filters.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #17,115 of 19,246
Please, I'm not a newbie asking for help...I got customs once, and I still go the molds inside my fridge, like 10 years now maybe, no way I will use again them, very uncomfortable, and same dull sound...my experience is that IEM, no matter the price, will never perform at the same level of full-size cans, and I accept that...no arguing here, one for each labor...I know how to use tips, trust me, that is not the issue.
I know personally almost every single manufacturer in the headphone amplifier industry, and some manufacturers of headphones as well...please I'm not trying to sound arrogant, just trying to find someone with experience enough in IEM, specially Etymotics, and I'm using single flange tips, like mushroom type, perfect for me...
My apologies, I really don’t mean to offend but simply exploring solutions. Hope you get the help you seek on here :) 💚

Users who are viewing this thread

Back