If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #17,086 of 19,246
OK, so obviously this is not the full write up by any stretch of the imagination but all I have to say is this: The ER4SR are replacing the ER4XR for sure. Playing classical, psytrance, dubstep, pop, classic rock, heavy metal and electronica lead me to conclude that the SR is less noisy, has a slightly wider soundstage yet somehow more resolving and intimate at the same time (I think this is due to a feeling of more air between instruments/mix channels) and I'm actually enjoying the bass more without the more obvious thud. The rumble of sub-bass and the thud of a resonating psytrance kick is most definitely there and it lets you know so, but the thing that happens in the XR when it tries to up its bass game is you lose the detail in that note. If you need any evidence that the SR has a ton of sub-bass just stop listening to the bay-sayers and play Shitbox by Noisia - you’ll see exactly what I’m on about. The ER4 series are simply so unbelievably accurate that they spit out crap recordings instead of creating bass where it doesn’t belong. It has to have come from the mind of the artist and that’s what I love so sooo much about them! They respect the art so effortlessly.

I'm also really enjoying hearing the intricacy of how various bass notes attack and especially when they decay on the 4SR.

I want to repeat this particular point because it's quite new to me - I am able to hear layers of bass decay and yet still enjoy the presence of that note. What have Ety done here? Seriously this is pure magic. The 4XR have this to some level but I’m afraid some detailing is attenuated to the point where I could only hear it because I knew it’s there, after having discovered it on the 4SR - and at that point it’s probably just my brain filling gaps.

One very important point for those who listen to rock/metal or similar: I did not realise this until tonight but oh my goodness have I been missing out. Playing Gojra's new album, Fortitude, through the XR usually resulted in quite a bass heavy experience and (even though Gojira's mastering is top notch) I could at times even pass the track off as something being played as a 128 kbps mp3 file - until now. The culprit? Yup, the raised bass floor of the XR. Why? Well, you know that bass guitarist nobody ever pays attention to in the band? He/She comes through like an all consuming tidal wave on the XR! If you listen to the track Born For One Thing then within the first 35 seconds you'll know exactly what I mean. Listen through the SR and you shall be rewarded with supreme separation, now being able to pick out the bass and still headbang to its grit, but this is grit with detail :wink:

Just would like to conclude with the following that the ER4XR are definitely some of the best IEMs I have ever heard, and it is a long list of premiums I can promise you that. However, the SR, for my taste and musical needs, takes the experience just that bit higher and lets me hear all that beautiful texture I know the artist worked so hard on including. If you have the 4XR, try the SR if you can. And actually if you have the 4SR, try the XR because it might have what you're looking for if you need a little more bass 'feel'.

One more thing: I use these Etys to play along to tracks on my phone through my Roland TD25KV e-drums, the distortion is noticeably lower when using aux input from phone and playing the kit at the same time. With the XR it was kind of unusable in some cases - too muddy and noisy when things got busy. The 4SR definitely fixed this. Not a massive difference but no more muddiness in the mess, so I'm definitely a happy bunny now :)

For those interested, ER4XR THD lab measurements are approx 0.86% for both and ER4SR THD at approx 0.49%

And if anybody is wondering whether my 4XR is perhaps damaged or something then I can assure you it's not. I have two sets for the comparison (the other is my friend's) and the results are identical. She loves hers by the way but partilly agreed with me about the 4SR but isn't replacing her set.

Thanks guys and please rip my post apart any which way, would love to hear from people and suggestions on any tracks you'd like me to compare :)

Sounds like the ER4XR is source sensitive cause in my case: LG V20 > > > E10K >>>>> Fiio Q1. The THD on ER4XR could lower in reality, 1% still low when compared to speakers.

What brand of 75 ohm impedance adapter are you using?
The PtoS cable that came with the ER4PT.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #17,087 of 19,246
How does the isolation compare to other tips? Triple, double, single flange?
For me, the isolation is about the same. I only compared with triple and foam. Maybe slightly less if not in correctly.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #17,088 of 19,246
seeing the bigger bore size, and shorter distance from the nozzle, i reckon the treble response would be different compared to the original triple flange..not to worry though if you like it, as i bet this would fit much better.

if you do want to try single flange tip that sounds close to the triple flange, i highly recommend you try the Acoustune AET16 tips. I regularly use L size tips, but on the Etymotic i can get the M size to fit too for a slightly deeper fit, though the L would fit more snug for me

here's the picture of it that I posted :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...is-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/post-16530359
You're right. After comparing, it is a bit different. I might have to find something to change it the depth. I'll definitely look into the Acoustune, thanks for the suggestion!

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #17,089 of 19,246
I love my ER2SEs with brown filters. Would you guys say it's worth picking up either the ER3SE or ER3XR too? Both the ER3SE and 3XR are currently on sale for $69.

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #17,092 of 19,246
By the way, I wish to report that I'm finding the double-flange silicon tips much more comfortable than the triples. The foam tips that came with the Ety worked really well sound-wise but I found them to be irritating. I might try Comply foams, as I have a few here somewhere... But yeah, the doubles.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #17,093 of 19,246
Aw thanks so much! Love this community! Wish when I had the Shure SE846 and had trouble with treble sounding really quite horrible at times that I got as much warmth from the group. Good guys there but a few people kept blaming me for it even after I got a replacement set ☹️
Glad I returned them and finally tried Etys after years of putting it off.
Welcome to the ex-Shure club, I had a few of those due to a limited budget, while I could have gotten an Ety earlier. It only cements my hatred for less-then-proper stuff.

On the other hand, it increased, yet again, the love for good/great products. Even with seemingly hefty competition (on price) like the Moondrop Blessing 2, I will bet my money - literally - on a nearly unbiased frequency response standing the test of time.

I expect the ER4 actually to change very little in the next few years, any opposition to that, given the later EVO?

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #17,094 of 19,246
Welcome to the ex-Shure club, I had a few of those due to a limited budget, while I could have gotten an Ety earlier. It only cements my hatred for less-then-proper stuff.

On the other hand, it increased, yet again, the love for good/great products. Even with seemingly hefty competition (on price) like the Moondrop Blessing 2, I will bet my money - literally - on a nearly unbiased frequency response standing the test of time.

I expect the ER4 actually to change very little in the next few years, any opposition to that, given the later EVO?
Yeah couldn’t agree more there - a flat response, or there about, should always help us hear what was intended. Since the days of the opera house to the days of hyperpowered pocketable DACs, we’ve simply wanted to be sublimed by the artist’s sounds. Natural response curves should take care if that for a while I think.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #17,095 of 19,246
Ok, so the two-flange were better than the three-flange, but even then they bothered my ears. I'm now trying the Comply "Confort" foam tips. I've used Comply tips with all my other IEMs. Hopefully they'll be better in this case than the Ety foam tips that came in the box.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #17,096 of 19,246
Ok, so the two-flange were better than the three-flange, but even then they bothered my ears. I'm now trying the Comply "Confort" foam tips. I've used Comply tips with all my other IEMs. Hopefully they'll be better in this case than the Ety foam tips that came in the box.
Careful when pulling those Complys out. I've had that brand for Etys get stuck in the canal more that once.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #17,098 of 19,246

I have a set of Shure 425s that I was really excited about, and they are remarkably underwhelming. Neutral and clear, sure, but somehow boring, and zero bass. Zero. I prefer listening to my Tin T2s. The 425s stay in a drawer.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #17,099 of 19,246
I used to use the yellow Shure foam ones. Pretty comfy, has a wax guard and decent sound

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #17,100 of 19,246
If I can't get the fit/comfort sorted out I'll be really disappointed. I'm absolutely sold on the sound and value the extreme isolation. Now it feels like I have pressure issues in one air, like it's clogged or I need to equalize. I can feel it when I swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back