If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #16,696 of 19,249
Those pictured above look like the large tips that I linked to above. Granted I could be wrong?

Edit: I'm only saying this because it looks like the ones in the above picture look a lot larger than the ones in the lower picture (after you account for scaling and distance).
The new ones don't come with grey tips like the old ones is what I'm saying. What do you not get? I already told you to Google. I'm done with this pointless convo.

91HkZ1AD4WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #16,697 of 19,249
The new ones don't come with grey tips like the old ones is what I'm saying. What do you not get? I already told you to Google. I'm done with this pointless convo.

EtyDave already answered the question. I must admit, you were loads of help when trying to figure out what tips you were talking about. I guess you're right, it's my own fault for having no idea what you were referring to 🤦‍♂️

Edit: note I didn't realize they swapped out those tips since I never used them to begin with (my ears are on the small size). The only clear/transparent tip I knew about was the small one.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #16,698 of 19,249

block

91HkZ1AD4WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Ignored

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #16,699 of 19,249
So i bought the er4SR from the current sale. I love them. I was looking for something a bit more bassy for the certain music and eyeing the ER2XR. I just got the qudelix 5k and tried orratory's eq and honestly found the bass "more than enough". If i like the er4sr and can boost the bass, is there a point of the er2xr?

If you have nothing else to burn your money on, maybe worth it. If you can use the same money more sensibly, no. You have their TOTL product that you can adjust to your liking.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #16,700 of 19,249
If you have nothing else to burn your money on, maybe worth it. If you can use the same money more sensibly, no. You have their TOTL product that you can adjust to your liking.
Yeah, if you like the ER4SR and want more bass the only way to go (staying with Etymotic) is the ER4XR... And it's not that big a change, speaking as someone who owns both. If you want more than that, well... PM me. There's a lot out there.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #16,701 of 19,249
So i bought the er4SR from the current sale. I love them. I was looking for something a bit more bassy for the certain music and eyeing the ER2XR. I just got the qudelix 5k and tried orratory's eq and honestly found the bass "more than enough". If i like the er4sr and can boost the bass, is there a point of the er2xr?

If you're not pushing the drivers and/or EQ above their limits, unless you want the sound signature to be like that independently from the source device (i.e. when used with a different DAP/computer/DAC/amplifier etc.), then not really. But "needing" (necessities) and "wanting" (personal desires) something are two different things (do I personally really need all of the IEMs and headphones that I bought and have got around? Definitely not. Do I still want them and use them (at least from time to time)? Yes, I do).

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #16,702 of 19,249

If you're satisfied, probably not worth the bother (even on my ER4P/S I always found it was pretty decent for bass except subs). If you want an extra IEM specifically for bass fun, personally would probably go for something with a larger dynamic driver. Although I have not used the XR version of ER2, so this is not to suggest it couldn't tick those boxes for you.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #16,703 of 19,249
Hi SXero.
Thanks for the feedback. I have no luck with the triple flanges. Can't find a size that seals well and is comfortable, in my ears. This goes back through to my very first set - the ER6i. Since then have owned the MC5, HF5, ER4PT and now the ER4SR, which I've been using since their release. I have the best luck with the Ety grey foams. I go for a balance of comfort/seal/sound. The Shure olives (medium) usually work fine, but lately not so much - even with brand new set. I'm finding that Westone Star Tips (black size) have been working OK though.
Charlie
Hey Charlie, are you using those olive foams etc deeply inserted or less so?

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #16,705 of 19,249
Is it possible to find the ER4B anywhere anymore? Including used? It doesn't seem to be the case.
Probably eBay for the occasional rare finds. You just never know. I got my rare MiniBox E+ from eBay UK, just as when I thought that thing was already in extinction

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #16,706 of 19,249
Is it possible to find the ER4B anywhere anymore? Including used? It doesn't seem to be the case.
There's one for sale on the classifieds here last I checked, but they're asking $250.

Apr 22, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #16,707 of 19,249
2nd cable broke on er4xr in 4 months...
let me say that this cable is very poorly designed with no strain releaf. If you loop the er4xr around the ear, the cable will surely fail in few months. The amazing thing is that the iem supposed to fit around the ear to kill microphonics.

anyone knows a good quality replacement cable that can recommend after testing?

I am done with the stock cable!

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #16,708 of 19,249
Hey Charlie, are you using those olive foams etc deeply inserted or less so?
Hi, SXero.
I use the medium size olives and compress them around the nozzle as tightly as I can get them. (Making sure the tip isn't blocked) Then I inset them as far as I can get them. The Shures don't seem to go in as deeply as these Westone "Star" silicone tips do, which seem to suction seal pretty far in most times. The grey Ety foams also work pretty well for me, but don't last as long as the olives.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #16,709 of 19,249
There's one for sale on the classifieds here last I checked, but they're asking $250.
The seller is flipper. He originally asked $400+ for them, then reduced the price. Considering that er4b was sold new for $300-350 he was trying to make profit.
Also the difference between 4s and 4b in cable, you can build one.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #16,710 of 19,249
How quickly will sweat kill a pair of Etys? I recently started doing indoor cycling and my trainer setup is pretty noisy. I was thinking either of my Etys would be great for isolation purposes but I’m also worried if my 1 hour high intensity cycling workouts (lots of sweat) will bring about some kind of premature death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back