If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #16,682 of 19,249
There were new Ety I tried recently that didn't have the grey tips. I thought they no longer come with unless I'm mistaken.
To confirm, you are talking about the bigger ones? I don't remember if my recent ER4 purchase had them.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #16,684 of 19,249
No, grey ones compared to clear non-grry ones. Just Google the images.

Interesting, I've never seen small-sized grey ones, just the translucent blue ones... This is since I got my HF2 way back in the day.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #16,685 of 19,249
Interesting, I've never seen small-sized grey ones, just the translucent blue ones... This is since I got my HF2 way back in the day.
Back then they all came grey.
liveetymoticcase-YfgdIwv3_poQom7z4dy25RPiZg1NhjsM.jpg

Today
51SF7b5PBcL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #16,686 of 19,249
Back then they all came grey.

Today

Those pictured above look like the large tips that I linked to above. Granted I could be wrong?

Edit: I'm only saying this because it looks like the ones in the above picture look a lot larger than the ones in the lower picture (after you account for scaling and distance).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #16,687 of 19,249
Apr 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #16,688 of 19,249
No, grey ones compared to clear non-grry ones. Just Google the images.

Could you post a picture of the exact tips you are referring to? I'll be able to give a clearer answer (or a greyer one) if I know exactly which tips are being discussed.

The reason I ask is that we switched to clear 3-flange eartips a while back on the ER2/3/4 as they looked better on the product. Those come off the same mold as the grey 3-flange eartips, they are just a clear material. Or, this could be about the new 2-flange eartips, which are all clear. We didn't stop putting 3-flange eartips in the package when the 2-flange eartips came out; we added the new eartips to the accessory kit without subtraction of others.

I hope that helps.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #16,689 of 19,249
Took up this project to capture an accurate history of ER4 and see how it has evolved over the last 30 years. Grateful to the folks at Etymotic including @EtyDave for reviewing this to ensure it's accurate. I really enjoyed researching and writing this 🙂.

https://soundchaser.org/etymotic-er4-over-the-years/

1619009643379.png

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #16,690 of 19,249
Hi.
Does anyone use the Shure Grey Soft Flex EASFX1 tips?
1619004047271.png

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/easfx

Impressions?

The olives don't seem to be fitting as well in my ears recently. (ER4SR)
Hi Charlie,

I have tried them for a short while (I wanted accuracy, so in the end I used the triple flanges from the ER4 XR). I have used the smaller ones to see if I could use them deeply inserted, but they are (predictably) wobbly in my ears, compared to the triple-flanges.

Shure foamies actually work (the small works again for deep insertion), but the larger size is meh. That also holds for the Shure silicone tips, which I used for quite some time on my Shure earphones before they (rightfully) died; they are technically fine, but not a success on the ER4.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #16,691 of 19,249
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #16,692 of 19,249
Hi Charlie,

I have tried them for a short while (I wanted accuracy, so in the end I used the triple flanges from the ER4 XR). I have used the smaller ones to see if I could use them deeply inserted, but they are (predictably) wobbly in my ears, compared to the triple-flanges.

Shure foamies actually work (the small works again for deep insertion), but the larger size is meh. That also holds for the Shure silicone tips, which I used for quite some time on my Shure earphones before they (rightfully) died; they are technically fine, but not a success on the ER4.
Hi SXero.
Thanks for the feedback. I have no luck with the triple flanges. Can't find a size that seals well and is comfortable, in my ears. This goes back through to my very first set - the ER6i. Since then have owned the MC5, HF5, ER4PT and now the ER4SR, which I've been using since their release. I have the best luck with the Ety grey foams. I go for a balance of comfort/seal/sound. The Shure olives (medium) usually work fine, but lately not so much - even with brand new set. I'm finding that Westone Star Tips (black size) have been working OK though.
Charlie

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #16,693 of 19,249
So i bought the er4SR from the current sale. I love them. I was looking for something a bit more bassy for the certain music and eyeing the ER2XR. I just got the qudelix 5k and tried orratory's eq and honestly found the bass "more than enough". If i like the er4sr and can boost the bass, is there a point of the er2xr?

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #16,694 of 19,249
So i bought the er4SR from the current sale. I love them. I was looking for something a bit more bassy for the certain music and eyeing the ER2XR. I just got the qudelix 5k and tried orratory's eq and honestly found the bass "more than enough". If i like the er4sr and can boost the bass, is there a point of the er2xr?
Yes, because ER2 is Etymotics Dynamic driver version and especially if you want a "Fun" version that's the one to go for. I am getting mine as well very soon

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #16,695 of 19,249
Special Etyotic promotion for Head-Fi users:
Starting today (April 21, 2021) and until Sunday (April 25) - use the coupon code "headfietyfans" for 15% off hearing protection products!
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html
Free shipping on orders over $30 (within the US).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back