If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #16,592 of 19,247
So thanks to Adorama and this thread I've had a few weeks now with the SR after having been an owner of the XR for some time. I bet they'll grow on me. If it's a source/track that doesn't present much differently on the XR, I prefer the SR's ever so slightly cleaner presentation and ever so slightly better imaging. The problem is that the XR's low end is just so much more consistent across all genres and recording qualities for me(metal, rock, pop, hip-hop, jazz, electronic). Still, the SR though, when you need it, and the track is well mastered, the bass is very well defined.

If I'm going into a 'sesh knowing what I'll be listening to, and it's well produced: SR
Casual/shuffle/bad recordings: XR

Great pairs.

Ever since I started using ER4S since 2006 and now ER4SR, to address the lower end registers for more meat I always played with the tips. The most rudimentary fix for me is the Shure Olives. However now with the newer generation of Tri Flanges in frosted color, I am getting better seal and comfort and thus mitigated the low end issues, oh yes I always wear them with a very light coat of body lotion which ensure perfect seal. Secondly I am very picky about where I plug my ER4SR to, and I have changed my source rig more than anything to get the right synergy. So far Cayin line of DAPs seems to work darned well with Etys, and I would not touch anything running on ES Sabre DACs, those are better suited for the likes of Sennheiser or Shure.

I actually spent 70% of my listening to Metal, Shoegaze etc and so far has been very satisfied with the output, neutral and engaging and IMO the right amount of bass as how it was intended to be

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #16,593 of 19,247
Ever since I started using ER4S since 2006 and now ER4SR, to address the lower end registers for more meat I always played with the tips. The most rudimentary fix for me is the Shure Olives. However now with the newer generation of Tri Flanges in frosted color, I am getting better seal and comfort and thus mitigated the low end issues, oh yes I always wear them with a very light coat of body lotion which ensure perfect seal. Secondly I am very picky about where I plug my ER4SR to, and I have changed my source rig more than anything to get the right synergy. So far Cayin line of DAPs seems to work darned well with Etys, and I would not touch anything running on ES Sabre DACs, those are better suited for the likes of Sennheiser or Shure.

I actually spent 70% of my listening to Metal, Shoegaze etc and so far has been very satisfied with the output, neutral and engaging and IMO the right amount of bass as how it was intended to be

Have you tried using the foams included with the iems? I find that they seal really, really well as well.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #16,594 of 19,247
Have you tried using the foams included with the iems? I find that they seal really, really well as well.
That foam hurts my ear canals as they are quite coarse with the texture of sandpaper. The Shure Olives are smooth and spongy and seals better

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #16,595 of 19,247
Mar 21, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #16,596 of 19,247
Mar 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #16,598 of 19,247
I use the Ety foam on the XR, and just assumed it'd be my choice for the SR when I received those. I'll try playing around again.:)

The Ety foam needs a chance to break in. After a few hours they start taking the shape of my ear and IMHO become very comfy until they wear out.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #16,599 of 19,247
I use the Ety foam on the XR, and just assumed it'd be my choice for the SR when I received those. I'll try playing around again.:)

The Ety foam needs a chance to break in. After a few hours they start taking the shape of my ear and IMHO become very comfy until they wear out.
I should try the foam, but I heard they just muffled the sound. So I never gave them a try.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #16,600 of 19,247
I should try the foam, but I heard they just muffled the sound. So I never gave them a try.
They gets muffled if not compressed and inserted properly when they expand in your ear canals. I will not deny that they do make the sound fuller, it was just my sensitive skin not jiving well with Ety foamies

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #16,601 of 19,247
I think the foams have very very slightly less punch compared to the silicons but also a slightly longer decay giving a fuller sound. My preference is still the silicons as there is no doubt when you have a good seal or not. The foams can be misleading in getting the right depth and seal imo.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #16,602 of 19,247
Foamies can move IEMs ear resonance lower and this makes them very bright. I had this issue. I had issue with very bright 8kHz peak which was very nasty.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #16,603 of 19,247
The ety foams really never worked for me. They just woudn't stay put in my ears. The new dual flange are a god send for me. Bought an extra 3 pairs of my size in amazon.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #16,604 of 19,247
I do love the dual flanges. They sound fullest and funnest to me on the XR. But the foamies sound closest to the triple flange to me yet they're actually comfy and I can get a seal. I like how their solid core is similar to the triple flange and the sound doesn't just pass through the foam directly like with Comply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back