If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 8, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #14,956 of 19,246
ER4 is much better than Andro if you value the tone of musical instruments. The fit is crucial here.
As for Mr.Green - it's just overhyped for "features" which I can hardly call unique. A good analogy would be playing with equalizer. You're fiddling with it & get something in return that sounds kinda "fun" albeit tonally incorrect. That pretty much sums it up.
If you're into multi BA, give a try to new Sony IER series. Might get rid of Andromeda and resolve the issue with fit.

Yeah that my main gripe with coloured headphones there sound sigs can be easily mimicked, On other flatter headphones with EQ. This is why I've never got sucked in with IEM's where the sound sig is the hyped features.

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #14,958 of 19,246
I had the er4rx and sold it as it was a little too analytic for me, i then bought the ex2xr and love it -needs deep insertion- maybe dynamic drivers suit my ears/music.

d
Do you think the ER4RX lacked bass? Or was it the just too accurate bit that you did not like?

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #14,959 of 19,246
Do you think the ER4RX lacked bass? Or was it the just too accurate bit that you did not like?

The bass on the ER4XR fine, Seems like a lot don't like the ER4/ER3 showing every detail no matter what even flaws in source/music. Can be very weird playing stuff with a bad master or finding that other headphones were the bottleneck, Which in my view is pretty common with dynamic drivers. Having slower decay and poor transient responce, Which is why some go ER2 >>> ER3/ER4. After spending so long with the ER4SR, ER3SE i really can't stand the sound DD's give mostly in the bass. It feels almost like it either trying too hard or struggling, Not to mention distortion is a issue which is why the ER2SE feels warm despite having the same bass as the S versions of ER3/ER4?.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #14,960 of 19,246
Regarding sound, the only issue with XR models is single-BA soundstage limitations - it may be very wide sometimes, but almost zero depth. It feels like all musicians stand in line and play instruments. But despite that ER4XR are perfect in sound terms. I listen to a lot of metal music with many times compressed mastering and still ER4XR gave me a lot of pleasure.

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #14,962 of 19,246
ER2 uses dynamic driver while ER4 and ER3 use BA driver. I would recommend ER3XR although it's not as budget-friendly as ER2's, but the sound signature is more close to that of ER4XR.
+1 to this, get a ER3XR with 20 or 75ohm adapter which s much closer to ER4XR and costs few more bucks than ER2XR. its pretty good bang for buck.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #14,964 of 19,246
Too accurate i guess, the bass was ok (good for an etymotic) but somehow they were not enjoyable to listen to for a period of time, initially they sounded brilliant but (to me) became wearing over time.
d
Yes I get you . I am like this with my HD800s , I love the sound and detail but sometimes they can be a bit fatiguing. I have the Hifimam HE1K too and I can listen to them for hours and hours

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #14,965 of 19,246
+1 to this, get a ER3XR with 20 or 75ohm adapter which s much closer to ER4XR and costs few more bucks than ER2XR. its pretty good bang for buck.

I get the same sound as the ER4SR with a 4db bass boost, By using a 5db 6KHz high shelf on EQ Apo and neutron player. It's crazy my ER3 only costed £149 with my EQ i hear no differince to my ER4SR. I sold for spair money since i thought my PC has issues.

But i kinda want 20 or 75 ohm adapter to get rid the hiss <32 ohm BA headphones suffer from.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #14,966 of 19,246
Do you know where to get said cable?
Looking to convert my ER3SE to ER4SR.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #14,967 of 19,246
@EtyDave
Any news on the dual flange tips and the balanced cable? You know how it is when you are waiting for something good... :D

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #14,968 of 19,246
A lot of messages saying got for the ER2XR or the ER3XR.....but the price differentials here in the UK for me between them and the ER4XR are not substantial.......so now even more confused :beyersmile:
I think the other suggestions are because the earlier models may have a bit more bass. This does appeal as I want them for on the go use .....and I think I like a touch more bass for this
I think if I take the plunge it will be the 4XR . If I have an issue with fit I can always sell them on I guess

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #14,969 of 19,246
Do you know where to get said cable?
Looking to convert my ER3SE to ER4SR.
It is a regular 3.5mm adapter . You can check on amazon or Aliexpress

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #14,970 of 19,246
I think if I take the plunge it will be the 4XR . If I have an issue with fit I can always sell them on I guess
if there no huge price difference, 4XR would definitely be better than 2XR and stock 3SR/XR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back