If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #12,376 of 19,272
I have a pair of SRs coming ( well, they’re in my letter to Santa). I don’t lament the lack of in-line mic or iPhone/Android controls; my primary purpose is to draw out the full experience of listening to music, so I’d rather not be interrupted in that!

However what I’d really like to have is an in-line box that would allow me not to have to pull out the headset in order to listen to someone, for example, a flight attendant or pilot announcement on a flight. Shure used to have a Push-To-Talk accessory (mentioned way back in this thread) that would mute the feed and mic in whatever external source you were needing to listen to, however I believe that’s long discontinued.

Short of finding the Shure unit on E-Bay, does anyone know of a comparable unit available on the market today?

I should have said that the Shure unit was "Push-to-Hear:" https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487260-REG/Shure_PTH_Push_To_Hear_PTH_Control_Headphone.html

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #12,377 of 19,272
I have a pair of SRs coming ( well, they’re in my letter to Santa). I don’t lament the lack of in-line mic or iPhone/Android controls; my primary purpose is to draw out the full experience of listening to music, so I’d rather not be interrupted in that!

However what I’d really like to have is an in-line box that would allow me not to have to pull out the headset in order to listen to someone, for example, a flight attendant or pilot announcement on a flight. Shure used to have a Push-To-Talk accessory (mentioned way back in this thread) that would mute the feed and mic in whatever external source you were needing to listen to, however I believe that’s long discontinued.

Short of finding the Shure unit on E-Bay, does anyone know of a comparable unit available on the market today?

i use a sansa fuze with rockbox sometimes. when i need to hear someone I simply enable the microphone. like on an airplane for instance. but that's all i know of. it would be awesome to have something inline that works with any player, but it would probably have to be some sort of microphone, which requires power and whatnot. hmmm.....

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,378 of 19,272
I'm super tempted on jumping on the massdrop for the ER4SR but I got the ER3SE and I'm not sure it worth the money... What would you guys say?

Got an itch... :)

[Edit] I LOVE my ER3SE and use them 2-4h daily. Thats why im so tempted to step it up. [/Edit]
I went for the ER4SR. Just have to know... :D

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #12,379 of 19,272
XR is rocking as always! using them for my 2 day, 2x 12 hour car rides with my Sony NWZ-A45. I love lossless with the ER4. Mmmmm.

400gb micro SD, small package. Superb audio output quality. ER4XR. That is how you vacation!

C002B649-4202-4430-9BBC-1E5BEE611399.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #12,381 of 19,272

Have a look at the Radsone ES100 it's got what you need :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #12,382 of 19,272
Hi has anyone used custom tips and what difference do they make with the ex4xr
thanks
Speaking on behalf of the ER3XR:

I tried the included tips, and wore the flanged tips for a week. Pretty comfortable, good seal, but annoying after a full day's use (I work in construction so a full 8 hr day, taking them out and in as needed.)

I bought a few aftermarket tips, and ended up liking the Comply Tip https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VNB0UC. Super comfortable, better seal, and much better bass response over the flanged tips. In general, the better the seal, the better they sound, and the better the bass response. If you end up getting custom tips, you'll get the best experience from them.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #12,383 of 19,272
Speaking on behalf of the ER3XR:

I tried the included tips, and wore the flanged tips for a week. Pretty comfortable, good seal, but annoying after a full day's use (I work in construction so a full 8 hr day, taking them out and in as needed.)

I bought a few aftermarket tips, and ended up liking the Comply Tip https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VNB0UC. Super comfortable, better seal, and much better bass response over the flanged tips. In general, the better the seal, the better they sound, and the better the bass response. If you end up getting custom tips, you'll get the best experience from them.
I had some problems in the beginning with the tri-flange and went for shure olives and comply tips. But both the comply and the shure one makes the sound muddy and you will miss quite a lot of details in the bass department. Also some clarity went missing. Went back to tri-flange and could not be happier.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #12,385 of 19,272
Just trying to roll the page over so I don't have to look at those Humongous photos.

better? I'm on mobile so they aren't big for me. i assume on a desktop browser they look different? i changed them to thumbnail.

as for the comply tips. they can be good, but i always felt they made the sound sort of "soft." the bass may be better because you're getting a better seal. i can say fairly confidently that the triple flange offer the most accurate response and linear bass. however, the difference in seal and possible treble alterations could give the bass a perceived boost. nothing wrong with that if you like it.

I'm a silicon guy myself. i wish the foam sounded as good to me, because they are a bit more comfortable. oh well. I've learned to live with the triple flange. I don't think I'd want to reinsert them all day though. ouch.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #12,387 of 19,272
I never use the foam myself. I wonder if you can insert as deep as silicone? Even with small triflange I can't insert it deep enough that I need to trim the largest flange.

etymotc foam? not me. comply i can get deeper than silicone...

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #12,388 of 19,272
69441685-94C1-4108-A143-7E7E7D0E70F0.png can i ask what everyone is carrying their etys in?

I'm always looking for the smallest possible case. I've actually designed one myself, but not sure how to prototype it yet... for now i use a small red clamshell casw from walgreens. sometimes (previously always) i used altoid tins. but the metal is annoying. i have to line it with paper to avoid noise and scratches.

i saw this in a video and was curious if anyone knew what it was? I'm sure those are er earphones. but this was on an unrelated site. and the video owner said they were someone else's and they don't know what it is. they assumed they came in it. hehe. almost looks too small. i don't want to strain the cables...

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #12,390 of 19,272
I didn't expect to see an Ety thread here. 826 pages of content!
I don't have a pair of ER4's (living in Australia makes this difficult budget wise), though I do have HF3's (my first audiophile level iem, actually). They're highly detailed, though I'm at that stage where I'm experimenting with parametric EQ's because I listen to a wide range of genres (progressive metal, darkwave, jazz, rock, hip hop). I've tried some suggested settings (like the ones here) but am unsure if I can do better. Am I wrong in assuming I can use EQ settings specific to the ER4S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back