If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 2, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #11,536 of 19,251
As long as the order is un

We sell the cable on our website for $49. As long as the value of the order is less than $50, etymotic.com should offer you a US Mail shipping option for $6.50. It takes a little longer, but it's definitely cheaper than UPS Expedited Service. Let me know if you encounter any problems with this. Feel free to email me at r_carlson@etymotic.com if you prefer.

Thanks just put through order. Turns out trying to add green filters made it over $50 so good tip! Thanks.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #11,537 of 19,251
I bought a pair of yamaha hs7 2 days ago. Got placement right, tried to do the acoustic treatment etc. Now it starts to sound pretty good. And then I compared earphones to them. I play the hs7 while listening to er4sr. (Because of the isolation it doesn't matter.) When I pulled out the er4sr, it sounds like the music came to life/ came true in front of me. It feels really weird and exciting. And the tone is almost identical. At the same time er4xr is darker and has more bass. But, if you are to try bigger 3 ways or with sub a brighter er4xr may sound closer in that situation.
It's really an interesting experience for me.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #11,538 of 19,251
Finally, my E4XR arrived yesterday.

WOW. Just WOW. I'm humbly impressed at how this piece of technology delivers.

First, I would like to let everybody know that I'm not rich at all but my budget was as high as 1.500$ for a pair of JH16v2 if necessary. I just wanted the best of the best: life is too short for neglecting your passions.

But everybody has been talking about these for 30+ years, hence I wondered why.

I was considering these 3 headphones: JH16v2, Shure's SE846 and these. My main concern with the Etymotics was that lots of people seem to point that they lack in the bass department. That's what was tempting me to go the SE846 route.

Well, no more.

Make no mistake, the E4XR are *honest* to what was recorded. Amazing detail, amazing soundstage *and* amazing BASS. I wanted to write these few lines just in order to let everybody know that the bass is simply tight and in-your-face. While I'm by no means a "basshead", I listen to lots of electronic music (psytrance, EDM...), (as well as blues and jazz and some classical) and I like my bass deep, with a big "body" and these E4XR certainly got it.

I'm not tempted to test the SE846 or the JH16v2: why should I, if I'm already terribly happy with these? Plus, I don't think that for the money the SE846 are going to sound 2x-3x as good as these or 4x for the JH16v2...

I'd like to express my gratitude to EtyDave and all the people at Etymotics and to BartSimpson1976 for sharing his impressions on the Etymotics vs. the JH13/16 by PM. :beerchug:

:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #11,540 of 19,251
Finally, my E4XR arrived yesterday.

WOW. Just WOW. I'm humbly impressed at how this piece of technology delivers.

I was considering these 3 headphones: JH16v2, Shure's SE846 and these. My main concern with the Etymotics was that lots of people seem to point that they lack in the bass department. That's what was tempting me to go the SE846 route.

Make no mistake, the E4XR are *honest* to what was recorded. Amazing detail, amazing soundstage *and* amazing BASS. I wanted to write these few lines just in order to let everybody know that the bass is simply tight and in-your-face. While I'm by no means a "basshead", I listen to lots of electronic music (psytrance, EDM...), (as well as blues and jazz and some classical) and I like my bass deep, with a big "body" and these E4XR certainly got it.

:ksc75smile:

It is exactly that intimate sound from the ER4XR that made me order a pair right after I heard them. Like you, I was going for a more expensive CIEM, the UERM has been on my wishlost for year. So after visiting a CanJam this fall and got to listen to both a universal demo-UERM, which are VERY good and neutral and with high resolution, I still liked ER4XR better- because of its intimacy and that crispy midrange. I am not sure ER4XR competes technically with UERM and the soundstage with UERM is much better. But there is that INTIMACY with the ER4XR, that I just love. If I had both at hand, I would probably use the UERM more but for now I am fully satisfied with ER4XR. I continue to enjoy music (mostly classical and jazz) with ER4XR.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #11,541 of 19,251
So I found a pair of long lost westone tips, not sure what they are but they are gray, and tried with the 4SR. Oh boy they fit and sound more consistent with less ear pressure than the stock triple flange. :ksc75smile:

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #11,542 of 19,251
So I found a pair of long lost westone tips, not sure what they are but they are gray, and tried with the 4SR. Oh boy they fit and sound more consistent with less ear pressure than the stock triple flange. :ksc75smile:
Tried em all years ago. You still need a deep fit for er4 to sound great. And most silicone tips that aren't tri flange sound sibilant.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #11,543 of 19,251
Tried em all years ago. You still need a deep fit for er4 to sound great. And most silicone tips that aren't tri flange sound sibilant.

For the westone tip, I get my desired sound by not inserting them so deep. Deep insertion causes the bass to become so thin in my case. Just for these tips only.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #11,544 of 19,251
For the westone tip, I get my desired sound by not inserting them so deep. Deep insertion causes the bass to become so thin in my case. Just for these tips only.
In this case, when deep inserted, either there is air leakage or under/over pressure going on. But the highs may still not be as smooth as tri flange.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #11,545 of 19,251
Etymotics are the best. I don't see any expensive ones can compete with these.

I've tried a ridiculous amount of headphones/earphones and I've still never heard anything as "good" or as "reference" as the er4s/sr/xr. some things have pretty close and some better in one way but worse in others.

I believe they are better than most $1000 earphones. I haven't tried everything out there, specifically customs, but theres a decent amount of data (graphs, reviews) that indicates there's probably nothing majorly better, and most are probably slightly inferior in many ways.

With that said, my current over ear headphones are the AKG Q701. from my phone they have a slightly brittle fatuiging treble, but with my JDS amp they sound superb. It seems to smooth out the treble and they actually sound the most like an er4s I've ever heard a headphone sound. but where some people complain about the er4s having a small "soundstage" or "width" or whatever, the AKG has striking imaging. some of the best I've ever heard. so if you need a full size headphone and don't mind the open back style (sound leaks and no isolation), the Q701 is excellent.

They still don't sound as strictly neutral to my ears so far as the er4s but they are new to me right now.

for a closed headphone the shure sr940 is great too, but they are softer sounding and not as transparent as the er4s or q701. but better than most.

at the end of the day, i love a full size open headphone, but the er4 series just dominates the in ear market and really beats full sized in many ways. they are truly impressive...

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #11,547 of 19,251
I have listened to over 100 headphones earphones. From cheap to expensive. Not many iems tho, because I know they suck. For the q701, it does has superb superb imaging. However the tuning is toward unnatural side of full-sizes. Still not bad tho. In terms of srh940, I still have them. They are pretty good. But they have a spike around 9k. And the actual quality of sound is not as good as the classics. As time go by, you will start to appreciate hd600. I did know I would, but I do.

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #11,550 of 19,251
I have listened to them. Much more sensitive to the source impedance. And the high frequencies sounds sharp but dark at the same time. However the cheap e3000 sounds pretty good with elevated bass.

I love E3000's sound... Can't describe how well it satisfies both my bass needs and my typical midrange balance needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back