If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 30, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #10,291 of 19,254
Yes an over the ear cable option to buy would be great.

I fail to imagine a truly viable/comfortable over-the-ear option for the ER4, as long as the shape of the original housing remains unchanged. Most ER4 mods with over the ear cables look and feel awkward afaik (some have posted pics in this section). I don't see this combination working well.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #10,292 of 19,254
Can anyone comment on their experiences with using custom molds with the ER4? 

I've always been tempted and Etymotic even promote it on their website, but I wouldn't want to do it if it was thought to mess with the sound signature.

Any thoughts?

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #10,293 of 19,254
I fail to imagine a truly viable/comfortable over-the-ear option for the ER4, as long as the shape of the original housing remains unchanged. Most ER4 mods with over the ear cables look and feel awkward afaik (some have posted pics in this section). I don't see this combination working well.

You are probably right but a 90 degree angled with some memory wire could not hurt.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #10,295 of 19,254
  Can anyone comment on their experiences with using custom molds with the ER4? 

I've always been tempted and Etymotic even promote it on their website, but I wouldn't want to do it if it was thought to mess with the sound signature.

Any thoughts?

I'd be interested too.  I'm pretty sure you get at least a little Less noise isolation compared to the normal tips. Wonder if it would decrease cable noise though?

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #10,296 of 19,254
Dear all,

after around 5 years using the ER-4PT, the time has come for an upgrade, and I would very much like to keep using Etymotics, as I've enjoyed them so much over the past few years. However, I really can't decide whether to buy the XR or the SR; can anyone give me some comparison of both with the PTs? For instance, since the biggest difference between the XR and SR seems to be the bass response - how is the bass response of both compared to the PTs? Very sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't have time to scroll through the countless pages of this thread :)

many thanks! :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #10,297 of 19,254
  Dear all,

after around 5 years using the ER-4PT, the time has come for an upgrade, and I would very much like to keep using Etymotics, as I've enjoyed them so much over the past few years. However, I really can't decide whether to buy the XR or the SR; can anyone give me some comparison of both with the PTs? For instance, since the biggest difference between the XR and SR seems to be the bass response - how is the bass response of both compared to the PTs? Very sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't have time to scroll through the countless pages of this thread :)

many thanks! :)

Have you used the P to S adapter with your PTs?

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #10,299 of 19,254
  I'd be interested too.  I'm pretty sure you get at least a little noise isolation compared to the normal tips. Wonder if it would decrease cable noise though?

As I understand it, you wouldn't necessarily get better isolation than the triple flanges, as they are exceptional. Notable gains would be comfort however.

My concern is messing with the sound though.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #10,300 of 19,254

As I understand it, you wouldn't necessarily get better isolation than the triple flanges, as they are exceptional. Notable gains would be comfort however.

My concern is messing with the sound though.

Had to edit my post, as I meant to suggest 'a little Less' isolation, which I think I've read somewhere. Makes sense, as not as tight in the ear canal as tips.  Anyway, back to the thread...

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #10,301 of 19,254
  Nope. No pre-amp or the likes, either (using an iPod mainly) 

Well in that case I would at least consider buying the adapter cable and turn your Ps into Ss rather than purchase the SR. There is very little difference between the S and SR.

The XR is as you suggested a little more bassy, however not significantly so. I prefer it to the SR.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #10,302 of 19,254

Well in that case I would at least consider buying the adapter cable and turn your Ps into Ss rather than purchase the SR. There is very little difference between the S and SR.

The XR is as you suggested a little more bassy, however not significantly so. I prefer it to the SR.

Nah you see, the thing is that the cable broke, so i DO need new ones :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #10,303 of 19,254

Nah you see, the thing is that the cable broke, so i DO need new ones :)

Gutted! My P cable is broken as well 
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #10,304 of 19,254
  @EtyDave Is an over ear cable due anytime soon for the SR/XR yet? I can improvise, wearing the drivers angled down in their 'normal' position and looping the cable down and over either the back or front of my ear. It works well but I'm conscious of the amount of bend this introduces to the cable headed into the strain relief....

We've kicked around some designs, but nothing we like enough yet.  I'd like to do one, so hopefully there will be one at some point.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #10,305 of 19,254
  Does anyone know where I can get hold of mmcx or 2 pin to Etymotic adapters with the resistors built in? I know Awwan used to sell them on Ebay, but he doesn't seem to do it anymore.

I have some ER4Ps with a broken cable and I'd like to use some of the cables I already own to bring them back to life.

Why not have a chat with Matt at Forza Audioworks? - I'm sure he'd be able to knock up a custom adaptor for you. I've re-cabled my ER4P with a Forza Pyre hybrid cable, and have had Forza make several other adaptors for my Etys. The resistors for my ER4P cable are in the connectors - right up by the ear. Forza does really solid work, and have a customer service almost as good as Etymotic. Can't recommend them enough. Shipping time from order placement to the UK varies, but 2 of my 3 orders arrived in two weeks (we won't talk about the third - but that was due to BorderFarce not Forza).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back