If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 24, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #9,242 of 19,248
So besides the increase in bass in the XR over the SR, are there any other substantial differemces between the two?

Really unsure which of the two i want, i listen to a lot of hip hop yet i find myself leaning more and more towards neutrality. I started with a pair of hifiman he-400, then went to the hd 650. I love the 650's but i do wish they were a touch more analytical

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #9,243 of 19,248
So besides the increase in bass in the XR over the SR, are there any other substantial differemces between the two?

Really unsure which of the two i want...

I'm in a similar boat. I'm ready to buy the Ety's but haven't been able to decide which ones. One day I read feedback that makes me think I should buy the XRs, then the another day it's the SRs. I wish some of the well-known reviewers were given pairs of them to review and report on - then I'd follow their recommendation.

BTW, my current reference phones are the HD600 & SE846.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #9,244 of 19,248
I'm in a similar boat. I'm ready to buy the Ety's but haven't been able to decide which ones. One day I read feedback that makes me think I should buy the XRs, then the another day it's the SRs. I wish some of the well-known reviewers were given pairs of them to review and report on - then I'd follow their recommendation.

BTW, my current reference phones are the HD600 & SE846.

Unfortunately there isn't that much information out on the new Etymotics since it is still new. I bought mine since I was going to purchase an ER4S and as I was about to purchase I found out about the existence of the ER4SR and XR. From what I've read, the only major difference is the bass is boosted on the XR so I figured I could add some EQ if needed but I haven't felt the need. 

It's hard to compare which would you would like based off the HD600 and SE846 since they sound so different and also one is a full sized and the other a earphone. I sold the SE846 a few weeks ago to purchase the ER4SR and to pocket the difference and they definitely don't sound anything alike. From memory, the HD600 is closer to the sound signature but is warmer than the ER4SR.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #9,245 of 19,248
A few pages back luisdent gave his impressions of the differences. And basically he said its in the low end boost. And it's done well enough not to affect the other frequencies. So it's basically do you want flat or flat with a little extra low end?

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,246 of 19,248
After reading a lot of posts here, I'm buying the XR now, if I feel the bass a little too much I believe a little cut w/ low-shelf EQ will solve my problem and turn the signature more SR alike.

My unique concern I was reading a certain praise of SR vocals and nothing in depth about dynamics and vocals on XR, but... I think they share a similar timbre, then I believe it'll worth.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #9,247 of 19,248
Just thought I'd provide my 2 cents for anyone deciding between the SR and XR. Like a few others on here, I was able to directly compare the SR and XR back-to-back, so even though I only have the XR now, I feel I still have a pretty good idea of what the differences are between the two. First I'll start by saying they are much more alike than they are different. I believe I've stated on here that I'm genuinely astonished by how remarkably similar their signatures sound in the mids and highs. Others on here have mentioned the slight "masking" in the mids and highs of the XR as a result of the extra bass presence compared to the SR. And I too was able to identify it upon doing A/B comparisons between the two. But it needs to be stressed that this difference is relative to the SR. Compared to other in-ears in this price range (and even well above this price range), the detail retrieval of the XR is still at the top of the pack from what I can tell.

The SR is uncompromisingly neutral. The XR gives up a very slight amount of detail in exchange for the most full-bodied, smooth response I've ever heard from an earphone to date.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #9,248 of 19,248
A few pages back luisdent gave his impressions of the differences. And basically he said its in the low end boost. And it's done well enough not to affect the other frequencies. So it's basically do you want flat or flat with a little extra low end?

Pretty much. :) What I do like about the XR, is that if I'm listening to it and I don't consciously think about it, I don't usually feel there is too much bass. it just sounds like a great etymotic sound. However, when I compare them one after the other, the SR always leaves me thinking it is more transparent, and that there is absolutely no midbass masking anything. If you never told me I was listening to an XR however, when I compare them one after the other, the SR always leaves me thinking it is more transparent, and that there is absolutely no midbass masking anything. If you never told me I was listening to an XR, I might not immediately notice it, until certain music revealed the additional bass or I listened for a bit linger and started to feel there was too much warmth or not enough treble transients. But it never strikes me is blatantly different.

I'm pretty sure if they only released the ER4XR, I would use it and never look back. But of course they did release two models, so I'm just particular to the SR for it's slightly more transparent sound.

I had to have and compare both myself. But for anyone worried about bass in the slightest bit, the XR offers almost the same exact sound as the SR but with a bit more bass. And comparatively, every other earphone has a lot more bass and a lot less accurate treble.

I'm definitely not trying to hurt the sales of the SR, however I would put it down to this. If you are coming from a different earphone the XR is a very safe bet. If you are coming from the ER4S, then the ER4SR is going to be very, very similar with slight improvements in sound and physical design. So if you are very happy with your ER4S, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any ER4SR. You may like the XR, and by all means try it if you can, but i would get the SR if you can only get one and not look back.

If rather, you are coming from an ER4P, then the issue becomes one of bass alone. Both new models give you the improved treble. But having the improved treble, you may find that the bass seems to be less relative to the treble that is now better. Although, you may not.

But I would say the ER4XR is probably a more appropriate upgrade for users of the P. But that's subjective and more just a personal opinion based on how i would expect P users to want the bass region to sound....

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #9,249 of 19,248

However, Ety still falls short of perfection in the overall package. On my wish list are moving to a behind the ear cable solution, option for inline mic/controls, and supporting MMCX without an asterisk.

Can any existing ER4XR or ER4SR owners elaborate on that asterisk? I have several mmcx cables and am perfectly willing to mod them, but is it even possible? I can live with a bit of swivel (since standard mmcx connectors won't have that "key"), but I want to be able to use my own cables. I understand the Ety mmcx is recessed. Can standard mmcx connectors be made to fit by cutting or trimming back their mmcx plug connector housing, or is there a fundamental incompatibility with the standard mmcx metal plug component itself?

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #9,250 of 19,248

Can any existing ER4XR or ER4SR owners elaborate on that asterisk? I have several mmcx cables and am perfectly willing to mod them, but is it even possible? I can live with a bit of swivel (since standard mmcx connectors won't have that "key"), but I want to be able to use my own cables. I understand the Ety mmcx is recessed. Can standard mmcx connectors be made to fit by cutting or trimming back their mmcx plug connector housing, or is there a fundamental incompatibility with the standard mmcx metal plug component itself?

Yes, standard mmcx connectors do fit but they rotate and do not lock like the original ones. I have my SR re-cabled now with a standard mmcx as well.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9,252 of 19,248

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick reply! Off to order my ER4XR... :wink:

The problem is that the majority of aftermarket cables go with a straight type of the connector and not 45 degree angled. I have a couple of cables with straight connectors. This is not very convenient I would say taking into account the way you put your ety in.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #9,254 of 19,248
  Quick question - are the barrels the same diameter to the old ER-4s, and is the nozzle the same design? In short, will my custom tips from my ER-4Ps fit the new IEMs?

The nozzle design is the same as the more recent ER4s.  The very early ER4s had a slightly smaller nozzle, but it was changed many years ago.

There can be a little bit of variability with the way custom tips are made, but it should work.  All of the ones I've tried have worked.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #9,255 of 19,248

The nozzle design is the same as the more recent ER4s.  The very early ER4s had a slightly smaller nozzle, but it was changed many years ago.

There can be a little bit of variability with the way custom tips are made, but it should work.  All of the ones I've tried have worked.

Cheers for the quick response. Now to sell my SE846s... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back