If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 16, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #7,322 of 19,272
If I knew, I might waited to purchase ER4SR instead of ER4PT last month
frown.gif

Same here :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #7,323 of 19,272
"The new IEMs benefit from enhancing the matching sensitivity so it is the same with both models. At 98dB at 100 mv the Etymotic ER4XR And ER4SR IEM will work with pretty much all devices from low output cell phones to the very best portable media players and headamps. The XR model is tuned for those enjoy more bass, whereas the SR is more neutral."

Guess what!? M-M-C-X. Hate that.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2016/AXPONA_2016_Show_Report/Friday.htm

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #7,326 of 19,272
 OMG, MMCX jacks, thank God ETY is finally cable replaceable!

While I'm yet to experience any issues with MMCX connections they've developed quite a yucky reputation for themselves of cutting out over time, coming loose.

its not all rainbows and lollipops.

What amazes me is in 2016 besides a few company like JH Audio, Fitear making thier own proprietary connection the industry standard simply hasn't changed really.

Two pin (UE or Westone)
MMCX

Even companies like Sony now use MMCX, Westone. Sometimes I wish someone, somewhere would give a damn and invent something truly reliable...

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #7,327 of 19,272
Does look like they 'snap' into place, and are locked (by the tab) from swiveling around, so maybe no wear/loosening of the connection. BUT, also looks like, from first photos, that the resistors are still in a pod on the cable. Looks like 'user replaceable' means buying from Ety.  Shame.. I think Etys with Linum cables would be almost perfect.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #7,328 of 19,272
While I'm yet to experience any issues with MMCX connections they've developed quite a yucky reputation for themselves of cutting out over time, coming loose.

its not all rainbows and lollipops.

What amazes me is in 2016 besides a few company like JH Audio, Fitear making thier own proprietary connection the industry standard simply hasn't changed really.

Two pin (UE or Westone)
MMCX

Even companies like Sony now use MMCX, Westone. Sometimes I wish someone, somewhere would give a damn and invent something truly reliable...

I've been spending some days with IEMs that uses MMCX, like AK T8ie or SE846, truly they finally become loose, worsestill,  some like T8ie has bad connection so I had to return for a new one, while the same story happened on my new T8ie.

But I love more with Sony's design, it has a fixing bolt that solves the problem.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #7,329 of 19,272
The only upside I see from inspecting MMCX connectors is the fault may usually occur on the cable end (male plug) as the IEM side is virtually just a bore it clicks into. This sure would benefit companies selling replacement cables wouldn't it?

But please take the above with some salt as I've not been able to test the theory completely.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #7,330 of 19,272
The only upside I see from inspecting MMCX connectors is the fault may usually occur on the cable end (male plug) as the IEM side is virtually just a bore it clicks into. This sure would benefit companies selling replacement cables wouldn't it?

But please take the above with some salt as I've not been able to test the theory completely.

Even some companies will produce cable for it, I think we need to wait for a while because of angled structure of connectors.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #7,332 of 19,272

Replacement cables were not so popular for ER4s, hope not as well for new ER4s

You're right. We know disadvantages of ER4's connector for other companies very well. It seems there's two disadvantages on new models:

1- Angled structure of connectors.
2- Ring style protector of connector.

Not sure but:
3- Impedance thing on Y-split.

I think Dougr33 is right. Etymotic want to sell their own cables.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #7,333 of 19,272
I'm not an AK owner, but FWIW I auditioned the AK Jr with the ER-4S (which I normally use with desktop amps), and I thought it was not lacking in any way whatsoever.

Thanks. If the AK Jr. can be considered powerful enough the AK 120 should be too i'd suppose.

Currently debating whether to build a rig around a iPod Classic or AK 120 (which obviously doesn't have a dedicated line-out for some reason).

Guess what!? M-M-C-X. Hate that.

Decades of experience, know-how and user feedback...and don't delivering an over ear, 2 pin based IEM

WHY?

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #7,334 of 19,272

You're right. We know disadvantages of ER4's connector for other companies very well. It seems there's two disadvantages on new models:

1- Angled structure of connectors.
2- Ring style protector of connector.

Not sure but:
3- Impedance thing on Y-split.

I think Dougr33 is right. Etymotic want to sell their own cables.

They‘ve already done it, remember their P2S cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back