If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 18, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #6,916 of 19,256
Ack! I did not. Not the first time I have wasted money on the Internet but it still hurts. Should have done more research.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

All is not lost. Look for a 100ohm inline resistor. The original Ety 75ohm model (to convert P to S) will be useful until you can source the 100ohm.

I wound up ordering the adapters with resistors from AW Audio since the 75 ohm adapter was going to run me $20 or so anyway. I'll try to sell the un-resistor'd ones to try to make some of the money back. I never got shipping confirmation from AW Audio but the original ones I ordered arrive Thursday.

Unfortunately, as if I willed this, the right channel has started to break and the sound cuts out. I reinforced the connection point at the resistor but the break appears to be at the top where it connects to the ear bud. I am leaving for a trip overseas on Saturday so I don't think I will have my parts from AW or a cable (which I haven't ordered yet) in time.

So it's either my HF5 or ER 6i for the trip. In the mean time, any recommendations on a custom cable? Looking to spend between $50 and $100 usd.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #6,917 of 19,256
I wonder, what it is. I mean, look at the cable
blink.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,918 of 19,256
I wound up ordering the adapters with resistors from AW Audio since the 75 ohm adapter was going to run me $20 or so anyway. I'll try to sell the un-resistor'd ones to try to make some of the money back. I never got shipping confirmation from AW Audio but the original ones I ordered arrive Thursday.

Unfortunately, as if I willed this, the right channel has started to break and the sound cuts out. I reinforced the connection point at the resistor but the break appears to be at the top where it connects to the ear bud. I am leaving for a trip overseas on Saturday so I don't think I will have my parts from AW or a cable (which I haven't ordered yet) in time.

So it's either my HF5 or ER 6i for the trip. In the mean time, any recommendations on a custom cable? Looking to spend between $50 and $100 usd.

It's much neater with the resistors in the adapter (Awwan) anyway. I've currently got the stock Lear cable attached to my Etys and the stock Noble cable attached to my Lears. I would thoroughly recommend Linum Bax which I have attached to the K10UAs, which I think should be within your price range once you add shipping and taxes. It is completely noise free and very light and comfortable in use. Night and Day to the original cable.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #6,920 of 19,256
What is this? Also if anyone has an extra 75 ohm adaptor let me know.

That's the original ER4 cable that was used by Etymotic for 15+ years. They only recently (2012 I think) changed it to all-black. 

I have a 100ohm adaptor, I don't notice a difference from the 75ohm that I also have. PM me if you're interested.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #6,921 of 19,256

It's much neater with the resistors in the adapter (Awwan) anyway. I've currently got the stock Lear cable attached to my Etys and the stock Noble cable attached to my Lears. I would thoroughly recommend Linum Bax which I have attached to the K10UAs, which I think should be within your price range once you add shipping and taxes. It is completely noise free and very light and comfortable in use. Night and Day to the original cable.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was considering these but was concerned about how thin they were. I thought there would be a durability issue. I looked at the YouTube videos and was sold.

The other cable I was looking at was the BTG Starlight. Much much bulkier, but I think I really like the lightweight Bax.

Thanks again.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #6,923 of 19,256
Jan 18, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #6,925 of 19,256

How is that different from what I mentioned? Do you mean going from single-sheath cable to dual then to dual-twisted for each earpiece? My post only mentioned colors. I know they went through this progression as well as multiple revisions of the 3.5mm plug, and revisions of the packaging/case... all of that is minor stuff compared to the obvious color differences that I was talking about.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #6,926 of 19,256
How is that different from what I mentioned? Do you mean going from single-sheath cable to dual then to dual-twisted for each earpiece? My post only mentioned colors. I know they went through this progression as well as multiple revisions of the 3.5mm plug, and revisions of the packaging/case... all of that is minor stuff compared to the obvious color differences that I was talking about.

Woah Ety had a braided cable with colored connectors? Mine is the newer braided type, but the connectors are black.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #6,929 of 19,256
That was the very first iteration of the ER4.

Really? So they started with a braided cable after the Y split, went to a straight cable for two (?) iterations, and then back to a braided cable with all new black connectors?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #6,930 of 19,256
Really? So they started with a braided cable after the Y split, went to a straight cable for two (?) iterations, and then back to a braided cable with all new black connectors?

That original braided is the cable that pretty much defined mechanical resonance (What people mistakenly refer to as microphonics now) for the industry. I still have mine from the first year of production and while I would not trade them for the world, the cable is NOT one of its selling features
biggrin.gif

ETY's continued quest to ameliorate that issue has led to many cable configs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back