If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 8, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #4,861 of 19,272
No worries. And I wasn't calling anybody on this thread dumb. The dumb user error is made by whichever seller wires them up wrong.

If all you're looking for is an over-the-ear mod, gnarlsagan has a pretty simple trick with twisty wires that's shown somewhere on this thread. No need to solder up a new cable just for that :)

I super glued mine, lol. I never use the ER4s without over ear, so I just bought V-Moda Sport Ear Hooks, prefitted them onto my ears, and finally super glued the pincer-like molds in the earhook and they're on them forever :]

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,863 of 19,272
  I think I see the confusion now.

What you're referring to here is NOT the same item that theDreamthinker posted.  You appear to be talking about somthing that is already wired. In that case, sure, I agree that somebody could have wired them incorrectly.  I once received an aftermarket cable that had reversed polarity in the wiring, so I can totally believe that some aftermarket adapters/cables aren't wired correctly.  But go back and check the original image posted by theDreamthinker. Perhaps he didn't intend to post that particular image, but what he posted was the bare, unwired plug.  You can wire that plug anyway you like. If you want to mirror the pins, they're interchangable on the little pcb and you can put them in any way you like and solder whatever wires you want to whatever pins you want.  If you are making up your own cable (which is what I assumed from theDreamthinker's post) then it is 100% possible to wire these up with the correct polarity.  I've done it myself numerous times.

I am curious as to how you wired these up and your opinions regarding the custom wiring.  Since the ER4 comes with various resistors that differentiate the P, S, and B models, did you also wire in the resistors?  Also, what kind of cable did you use (there is no adapter plug since the wire is soldered right to the connector, correct)?  Im looking to minimize the microphonics of the original cable on my ER4PT if possible, so I was wondering whether the results were worth it or not.  It would also be nice if the cable werent so long and stiff, and I would probably wire it in the S configuration to avoid having to use the adapter.

Also of note: I have worn them over the ear as suggested as well as with the shirt clip.  It does reduce microphonics, but it doesnt eliminate it.  It also doesnt prevent me from having to stuff 6-8 inches of the cord in my pocket to prevent myself from catching it on things.  I enjoy soldering and making cables, so if anything this type of project would be welcome and not be such a bother.  Convince me either way whether I should consider this option.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #4,864 of 19,272
I am curious as to how you wired these up and your opinions regarding the custom wiring.  Since the ER4 comes with various resistors that differentiate the P, S, and B models, did you also wire in the resistors?  Also, what kind of cable did you use (there is no adapter plug since the wire is soldered right to the connector, correct)?  Im looking to minimize the microphonics of the original cable on my ER4PT if possible, so I was wondering whether the results were worth it or not.  It would also be nice if the cable werent so long and stiff, and I would probably wire it in the S configuration to avoid having to use the adapter.

Also of note: I have worn them over the ear as suggested as well as with the shirt clip.  It does reduce microphonics, but it doesnt eliminate it.  It also doesnt prevent me from having to stuff 6-8 inches of the cord in my pocket to prevent myself from catching it on things.  I enjoy soldering and making cables, so if anything this type of project would be welcome and not be such a bother.  Convince me either way whether I should consider this option.

If you have a fine-tipped soldering iron and a steady hand, you should go for it :) It's not that hard, and even if you make a mistake, you can just grab your solder-remover and start again. Yes you definitely need to add the resistors yourself, because these plugs come with nothing but the pins, pcb and plastic shell. You'll need 27 ohm resistors for the P model or 102 ohm for S. If you're off by an ohm or two, it's no big deal (it will be easier to find 100 ohm resistors!), but you need to match them for the left and right drivers, to make sure you get the same frequency response from both. You can do this by buying a huge pile of resistors and testing them all with a good multi-meter to find a nice matching pair, or (my preference) is to just buy some good quality low tolerance TFT resistors, which already come with the exact same resistance and are tiny enough to fit in the plug housing.

As for cables, I'm a fan of anything that reduces microphonics or adds functionality (I know some see this as sacrelige, but I like to use my ER4's with my iPhone and really need a remote!). For either of those two reasons, it's totally worth it. However - and I'm not wanting to get into a flame war here - IMHO, if you're only looking to 'upgrade' your cable by soldering on those highest-purity silver/unobtanium cables, you're wasting your time and money. Any cable that gives you the necessary impedance will do the trick. Of course, the FR will change if the cable impedance changes. You might even prefer that change, but it isn't magical, it isn't what the manufacturer intended and it isn't something you couldn't have achieved via a simple EQ. (Check out the Pencil EQ in the 'Can Opener' app for iPhone - it also works with external DACs. It's awesome!) I suspect slight changes in impedance have convinced some people that those $800 cables on Amazon and eBay are worth the money. Unless somebody shows you some newly-discovered electro-magnetic-gravitational-relativistic physical property of cables that we didn't previously know about, I'd view such cable 'upgrades' as very expensive jars of snakeoil :wink:

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #4,865 of 19,272
If you have a fine-tipped soldering iron and a steady hand, you should go for it :) It's not that hard, and even if you make a mistake, you can just grab your solder-remover and start again. Yes you definitely need to add the resistors yourself, because these plugs come with nothing but the pins, pcb and plastic shell. You'll need 27 ohm resistors for the P model or 102 ohm for S. If you're off by an ohm or two, it's no big deal (it will be easier to find 100 ohm resistors!), but you need to match them for the left and right drivers, to make sure you get the same frequency response from both. You can do this by buying a huge pile of resistors and testing them all with a good multi-meter to find a nice matching pair, or (my preference) is to just buy some good quality low tolerance TFT resistors, which already come with the exact same resistance and are tiny enough to fit in the plug housing.

As for cables, I'm a fan of anything that reduces microphonics or adds functionality (I know some see this as sacrelige, but I like to use my ER4's with my iPhone and really need a remote!). For either of those two reasons, it's totally worth it. However - and I'm not wanting to get into a flame war here - IMHO, if you're only looking to 'upgrade' your cable by soldering on those highest-purity silver/unobtanium cables, you're wasting your time and money. Any cable that gives you the necessary impedance will do the trick. Of course, the FR will change if the cable impedance changes. You might even prefer that change, but it isn't magical, it isn't what the manufacturer intended and it isn't something you couldn't have achieved via a simple EQ. (Check out the Pencil EQ in the 'Can Opener' app for iPhone - it also works with external DACs. It's awesome!) I suspect slight changes in impedance have convinced some people that those $800 cables on Amazon and eBay are worth the money. Unless somebody shows you some newly-discovered electro-magnetic-gravitational-relativistic physical property of cables that we didn't previously know about, I'd view such cable 'upgrades' as very expensive jars of snakeoil :wink:

Wonderful post. I agree the ER4S doesn't need as much power as some suggest. My Fuze and Nexus 5 are both quite powerful enough.

I'm still surprised Ety hasn't gone for a new over-ear design after all these years. Guess it keeps costs down just keeping things as is.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #4,868 of 19,272
I compared the Rockets to the ER4S (not the ER4P) here.

Thanks for that...

...and for making me regret a purchase which hasn't even yet arrived...
redface.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #4,869 of 19,272

Has anybody compared the ER4p with the Rockets yet?

I compared the Rockets to the ER4S (not the ER4P) here.

you sure sold the rocket well to me until I saw the pictures. I remember reading about it when the first demo had the "tails" thing of a "wrong" material so we should assume it would stay in the ear and fit well ... then I forgot they ever existed.
redface.gif

did you also patent something clever for the cable coming straight out? the giant guide thing I saw isn't something for me, I can tell that much right from the pics.
I already gave up on the nice eq-5 because I simply didn't know what to do with the cable, so I'm guessing I'll have to pass on the rocket too. it's so frustrating when you give up on a product for non audio reasons. at least with the ER4 I can achieve over the ear wear that while not being the next best thing, works just fine in real life use with the plastic cinch part on the neck.
finish me and make me cry, was isolation any good?

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #4,870 of 19,272
you sure sold the rocket well to me until I saw the pictures. I remember reading about it when the first demo had the "tails" thing of a "wrong" material so we should assume it would stay in the ear and fit well ... then I forgot they ever existed.
redface.gif

did you also patent something clever for the cable coming straight out? the giant guide thing I saw isn't something for me, I can tell that much right from the pics.
I already gave up on the nice eq-5 because I simply didn't know what to do with the cable, so I'm guessing I'll have to pass on the rocket too. it's so frustrating when you give up on a product for non audio reasons. at least with the ER4 I can achieve over the ear wear that while not being the next best thing, works just fine in real life use with the plastic cinch part on the neck.

this lessens my grief somewhat...

The Rockets do look unique.
Are there any practical reasons for this design which involves the cable hanging out the side?

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4,871 of 19,272
Over the ear wear of the rockets is immensely easier than the ER-4S; I don't use any of the add ons.  The Ety is the only iem I kept for any considerable period of time that was a down only wearable, and a shirt clip was a must.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #4,872 of 19,272
  Over the ear wear of the rockets is immensely easier than the ER-4S; I don't use any of the add ons.  The Ety is the only iem I kept for any considerable period of time that was a down only wearable, and a shirt clip was a must.

did you try the ortofon eq5 (or7)? and find them to be harder to wear over the ear?
gnarlsagan already lured me into getting some MH1 to EQ them when I knew I would hate the cable, and now I hate him because I keep thinking about getting a cable intervention that costs several times the IEM itself. (but those nasty MH1 do sound nice once EQed so I half hate him, half thank him a lot. it's a complicated relation ^_^).

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #4,873 of 19,272

did you try the ortofon eq5 (or7)? and find them to be harder to wear over the ear?
gnarlsagan already lured me into getting some MH1 to EQ them when I knew I would hate the cable, and now I hate him because I keep thinking about getting a cable intervention that costs several times the IEM itself. (but those nasty MH1 do sound nice once EQed so I half hate him, half thank him a lot. it's a complicated relation ^_^).

No, unfortunately I never had a chance to try those two.  I did a google search and it appears the 5 looks similar to the Rockets when worn over the ear, in that the cable flares out a bit before looping over. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4,874 of 19,272
you sure sold the rocket well to me until I saw the pictures. I remember reading about it when the first demo had the "tails" thing of a "wrong" material so we should assume it would stay in the ear and fit well ... then I forgot they ever existed. :xf_eek:

The Rockets cable goes over the ear easily with the antiloops. The antiloops no longer have the over-ear guide, but it isn't required for a secure fit. Pull the chin slider up and the cable sits comfortably and securely behind the ear.

Isolation isn't bad with the Rockets, but it depends on the tips and depth of fit. I get better isolation with the stock tips than with any biflanges I've used. Overall isolation is more than adequate for outside use. I use mine at the gym all the time.

The MH1 is still amazing. Just behind the Rockets and ER4S imo, but ahead of so many other iems.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4,875 of 19,272

redface.gif

The Rockets cable goes over the ear easily with the antiloops. The antiloops no longer have the over-ear guide, but it isn't required for a secure fit. Pull the chin slider up and the cable sits comfortably and securely behind the ear.

Isolation isn't bad with the Rockets, but it depends on the tips and depth of fit. I get better isolation with the stock tips than with any biflanges I've used. Overall isolation is more than adequate for outside use. I use mine at the gym all the time.

The MH1 is still amazing. Just behind the Rockets and ER4S imo, but ahead of so many other iems.

sold!
.... oh well, sold when it's actually available for purchase I guess ^_^. good enough that it went past kickstarter point.
thank you both guys, this ends my off topic. (well I got 4ETY IEMs (2 hf5), I can't really pretend like I wanna buy more of those
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back