If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4,846 of 19,272
Thanks.

These adapters aren't legit then. Are there other options from other brands?

I have only found the one Chinese source who makes these adapters. Perhaps there are other resellers other than the Ebay source but I suspect they all come from the same individual.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,847 of 19,272
I have only found the one Chinese source who makes these adapters. Perhaps there are other resellers other than the Ebay source but I suspect they all come from the same individual.

I tried checking out other places (eBay and AliExpress), but only found them. But it seems that your units were faulty, which wouldn't be solved by buying from another reseller.

I suppose you don't recommend dealing with them.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,848 of 19,272
Thanks.

These adapters aren't legit then. Are there other options from other brands?

There's nothing wrong with these plugs!

They have two pins to match the ER4 socket - a larger and a smaller pin. Let's call them A and B. Now you have two wires going to your driver. Let's call those wire 1 and wire 2. You can choose to connect 1 to A and 2 to B or vice versa. If you get it the wrong way round, that's nothing but a dumb user error.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #4,849 of 19,272
I tried checking out other places (eBay and AliExpress), but only found them. But it seems that your units were faulty, which wouldn't be solved by buying from another reseller.

I suppose you don't recommend dealing with them.

I believe HiFlight is referring to these:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290630811178

They have two pins to match the ER4 socket - a larger and a smaller pin. Let's call them A and B. Now you have two wires going to your driver. Let's call those wire 1 and wire 2. You can choose to connect 1 to A and 2 to B or vice versa. If you get it the wrong way round, that's nothing but a dumb user error.

There is no reason for you start calling people names. Settle down.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #4,850 of 19,272

Sure, the pins fit fine, but just play a phase-check clip and you will hear for yourself. No skin off my nose if you like them or prefer your music out-of-phase. If you want to use an aftermarket cable, you would need to have your L/R color dots facing opposite directions rather than both up or both down. To do that, you need to bend one of the guide wires which can't be safely done with over-molded connectors.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,851 of 19,272
I believe HiFlight is referring to these:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290630811178
There is no reason for you start calling people names. Settle down.

Yes, that is the Ebay seller that I was referring to. He lost the first set of diagrams I sent, so I sent another set. He never did send me a revised version. It is easy to tell if they have been revised as setting side by side, the pins should be mirror images rather than exactly alike.

As I have tested these adapters, the information I have posted is correct. If one chooses to disregard my findings, that is fine with me. I didn't post this information to start an argument. Perhaps the seller is now marketing a revised version. HERE is a link to some test tones that you can use to check the adapters with your phones.

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4,852 of 19,272
I dont think so... Recently bought another pair of Ety 4S in US and they r all black, with a small red circle on the right. So i guess they changed their design completely. No more red and blue. Also they improvised those black foams into grey foams. BTW Im a huge fan of Ety ER4S and high fidelity of course :p .

I recently had a chance to try out the AKG K812 ( which costs a wooppin price of ~$1000 ) but found that its no where near the ER4S in term of fidelity and transparent. Soundstage is definitely wider but not sound quality. Im working for Harman Corp. ( sssshhhhhh.... Dont let em know ) but keep coming back for more Etymotic :D

Maybe its a bit unfair to judge a pair of cups over IEM but I do love Ety sound in comparison to others. Just my opinion.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4,853 of 19,272
I think I see the confusion now.

What you're referring to here is NOT the same item that theDreamthinker posted.  You appear to be talking about somthing that is already wired. In that case, sure, I agree that somebody could have wired them incorrectly.  I once received an aftermarket cable that had reversed polarity in the wiring, so I can totally believe that some aftermarket adapters/cables aren't wired correctly.  But go back and check the original image posted by theDreamthinker. Perhaps he didn't intend to post that particular image, but what he posted was the bare, unwired plug.  You can wire that plug anyway you like. If you want to mirror the pins, they're interchangable on the little pcb and you can put them in any way you like and solder whatever wires you want to whatever pins you want.  If you are making up your own cable (which is what I assumed from theDreamthinker's post) then it is 100% possible to wire these up with the correct polarity.  I've done it myself numerous times.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,854 of 19,272

Don't forget to pick up some of those delicious red filters.

After giving the red filters a side by side comparison with the blue ones and a couple weeks of listening, I definitely like them better.  I was expecting it to be hard to tell the difference in sound (it wasnt), but now the ER4 just sounds smoother without any loss in the wonderful clarity that made me instantly fall in love with them in the first place.  I do have to adjust the volume to slightly higher levels for the same loudness, but my iPod has more than enough power to blow my eardrums out even with classical music so that isnt a concern.

Keep in mind warrior these need a really deep Insertion, you need to place the nozzle right up to the second bend of your canal and at first it feels very unatural. Shallow insertion will not give the correct sound. That's what took me a week to work out, that and practising how to find that second bend.

Finding it is easy: just jam the ER4 in as far as it will go!  Though seriously, this iem does have a bit of a learning curve to get used to, as it took me a few weeks to realize that the grey triple flange tips are the best for me, and about another week to figure out the correct angle to insert it so that I dont feel like im raping my ears.  Both of my ears have different angles and insertion depths, so trying to insert both sides the same way just doesnt work.  Tip experimentation can cause irritation and pain, but once you find a configuration that works, it ends up being great.  I still get sore ears when I wear them all day and take them out numerous times, but that is to be expected when you continually irritate the ear canal with the deep insertion.  The comfort issues of this iem are overblown as far as im concerned, but I will admit to it taking some time to get used to the fit.

For me, the ER4S isn't about hearing new things, it's about not hearing all the extra stuff that other earphones introduce. Treble spikes. Mid-bass bloat. Colored mids.

The ER4S offers a pretty unbiased take on sound compared to mostly everything out there imo. Of course everyone has their preferences, but imo it's the lack of major flaws that make the ER4S great, not any sonic enhancements it might bring.

I love the fact that I can add a little sub-bass boost to them and not sacrifice any clarity whatsoever.Just silky smooth sound all around.  I cant imagine calling accurate response boring (preference), but I do eq the sub bass to account for the missing 6 db phenomenon.  The only weakness ive experienced with the ER4 is with lo-fi recordings coupled with poor production.  I have a particular taste for black metal, and the ER4 is just far too revealing for it to be very enjoyable.  Instead of the intended atmosphere, you hear the clipping and distortion in all it's glory.  

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,855 of 19,272
Yes, that is the Ebay seller that I was referring to. He lost the first set of diagrams I sent, so I sent another set. He never did send me a revised version. It is easy to tell if they have been revised as setting side by side, the pins should be mirror images rather than exactly alike.

As I have tested these adapters, the information I have posted is correct. If one chooses to disregard my findings, that is fine with me. I didn't post this information to start an argument. Perhaps the seller is now marketing a revised version. HERE is a link to some test tones that you can use to check the adapters with your phones.

I personally was referring to this particular product: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4079

I do suppose that your eBay reseller and this site are closely linked, because they sell the same products.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,856 of 19,272
Oct 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #4,857 of 19,272
  I think I see the confusion now.

What you're referring to here is NOT the same item that theDreamthinker posted.  You appear to be talking about somthing that is already wired. In that case, sure, I agree that somebody could have wired them incorrectly.  I once received an aftermarket cable that had reversed polarity in the wiring, so I can totally believe that some aftermarket adapters/cables aren't wired correctly.  But go back and check the original image posted by theDreamthinker. Perhaps he didn't intend to post that particular image, but what he posted was the bare, unwired plug.  You can wire that plug anyway you like. If you want to mirror the pins, they're interchangable on the little pcb and you can put them in any way you like and solder whatever wires you want to whatever pins you want.  If you are making up your own cable (which is what I assumed from theDreamthinker's post) then it is 100% possible to wire these up with the correct polarity.  I've done it myself numerous times.

I apologise for this misunderstanding.

It seems that the product i found (http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4079) is a kit. The soldering needs to be done by the buyer.
I thought i was a 'ready-to-use' product.  

I just saw how confused the store is about its own products: 

Anonymous user ( 08-03-2014 04:27:29 )
Will you guys carry the etymotic to shure connector adapter?

Administrator:Hello, what's your mean by etymotic?

Therefore i won't buy here anyway. Are there other options to facilitate over-ear use?

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4,858 of 19,272
It's the same plug, but the item theDreamthinker is referring to is a DIY plug. One that you'd need to solder up yourself. You may have had a bad experience with an ADAPTER in the past, but if theDreamthinker knows how to solder, this specific product is legit. And as I mentioned, you can put the pins anyway round you like and solder whatever wire you want to whatever pin you want. If you do it properly, there is zero risk of phase error.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #4,859 of 19,272
I apologise for this misunderstanding.

It seems that the product i found (http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4079) is a kit. The soldering needs to be done by the buyer.
I thought i was a 'ready-to-use' product.  

No worries. And I wasn't calling anybody on this thread dumb. The dumb user error is made by whichever seller wires them up wrong.

If all you're looking for is an over-the-ear mod, gnarlsagan has a pretty simple trick with twisty wires that's shown somewhere on this thread. No need to solder up a new cable just for that :)

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,860 of 19,272
No worries. And I wasn't calling anybody on this thread dumb. The dumb user error is made by whichever seller wires them up wrong.

If all you're looking for is an over-the-ear mod, gnarlsagan has a pretty simple trick with twisty wires that's shown somewhere on this thread. No need to solder up a new cable just for that :)

I never get sick of flaunting this set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back