If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #4,486 of 19,246
About to get my RED on!  :p

For the record, I just removed my green filters (plastic ety filters, not knowles) using the ety filter removal tool. I inspected the filters with a flashlight before removal, and managed to remove them with absolutely no damage to them. I tried to take a photo, but I can't focus that closely.

Basically, I screwed it in slowly and pulled the filter out. The tool came out a few times without the filter on it, so I just gently screwed it in a little bit farther each time. While pulling the tool I gently wiggled it back and forth. Not really pressure, but almost like I was trying to gently vibrate the tool a little. Finally, the filter came out on the tool and there was no damage to be seen. Ready for next time! :)

And the red filters are excellent.

May 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4,487 of 19,246
Has anyone bought these recently off of Amazon? Can any one confirm that they do indeed come with everything listed, (P -> S converter, spare filters, etc)?

I'm thinking of biting the bullet because my DBA-02 wire housing is getting worse and worse the longer I wait, but you can never tell what you'll get from Amazon sometimes when it comes to these things...

May 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,490 of 19,246
  Has anyone bought these recently off of Amazon? Can any one confirm that they do indeed come with everything listed, (P -> S converter, spare filters, etc)?

I'm thinking of biting the bullet because my DBA-02 wire housing is getting worse and worse the longer I wait, but you can never tell what you'll get from Amazon sometimes when it comes to these things...

If you buy either er4 from amazon you are buying them from etymotic. They are sold direct via amazon, but from etymotic. Unless you buy a pair from a non-amazon seller, which is about the same as buying them from ebay. Then who knows. So buy them from ety direct or amazon. Either way. Same price and same package.

May 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,493 of 19,246
Hey guys

My beloved Etymotic ER4 Micro Pros are starting to lose sound to the right earbud, fizzing in and out. Ive had them almost 2 years and bought them in New York (so i imagine my warranty is out).

Is there anywhere in Ireland i can get them rewired or anybody who can do this work or should i send them back to Etymotic to get rewired? (Or should i get some newer earbuds?)

Any advice really appreciated!

May 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4,494 of 19,246
  Hey guys

My beloved Etymotic ER4 Micro Pros are starting to lose sound to the right earbud, fizzing in and out. Ive had them almost 2 years and bought them in New York (so i imagine my warranty is out).

Is there anywhere in Ireland i can get them rewired or anybody who can do this work or should i send them back to Etymotic to get rewired? (Or should i get some newer earbuds?)

Before you do anything change the filters.

May 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,495 of 19,246
  Hey guys

Etymotic will fix out of warranty ER4's for a fee, prices found here. Also recommend the Zero Audio Tenore as an ER4 replacement. It has very similar FR with more bass. They can be had for ~$60 including shipping usually.

May 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #4,498 of 19,246

the Zero Audio Tenore as an ER4 replacement. It has very similar FR with more bass. They can be had for ~$60 including shipping usually.

Does anyone else agree with this assessment? It seems a stretch to me that a $60 phone would be as good as the ER-4.

Well, you know how I feel about value if you're read these threads. While it's not common, there are some surprising values that sound amazing. Things like the  re400 and the MH1.

However, I have to be completely honest, not even those compare to the unbelievable value of the zero audio tenores. I paid $55 for mine including shipping on an ebay store with great feedback. I've been listening to them non-stop since I got them (LITERALLY) Other than sleeping, but I listened to them as I fell asleep. haha

How do they sound? My pair sounds so much like the er4s, if I listen to lighter acoustic music it would be easy to forget I wasn't listening to the er4s with red filters. But when the music demands it, the tenores pull out perfect bass. I'm talking, excellent, high quality,  perfect quantity bass. So to me, these are EXACTLY what I've been looking for; an er4s with better bass/sub bass.

The bass doesn't bleed or mask at all. The treble extends even a bit higher than the er4s giving a little more air to things. For those who like such things, there is a graph floating on the zero thread that completely corroborates this. Needless to say, these sound just as good as the er4s in every way to my ears, and then improve upon the bass and treble extension. Time will tell how they hold up physically, etc. etc. But audio-wise, these are everything I've been looking for. I think my search is done.

I wish etymotic would take this iem and examine it and see what can be done with a single driver unit. Not everyone agrees on bass levels, etc. but this thing is almost like having an er4s with my bass eq, but it still sounds better, because the bass just sounds more detailed. Kick drums give off a realistic thwamp and kick that sound incredible but the midbass is beautifully open and clean. Not bloated like the mh1. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for an er4s alternative. Are they more accurate? That's hard to say. They meet the accuracy of the er4s to my ears and fix the things I find as flaws. But either way, they are the closest things to the er4s in neutrality and quality I've ever heard and are easily the closest alternative for those who value those traits...

May 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4,499 of 19,246

Well, you know how I feel about value if you're read these threads. While it's not common, there are some surprising values that sound amazing. Things like the  re400 and the MH1.

However, I have to be completely honest, not even those compare to the unbelievable value of the zero audio tenores. I paid $55 for mine including shipping on an ebay store with great feedback. I've been listening to them non-stop since I got them (LITERALLY) Other than sleeping, but I listened to them as I fell asleep. haha

How do they sound? My pair sounds so much like the er4s, if I listen to lighter acoustic music it would be easy to forget I wasn't listening to the er4s with red filters. But when the music demands it, the tenores pull out perfect bass. I'm talking, excellent, high quality,  perfect quantity bass. So to me, these are EXACTLY what I've been looking for; an er4s with better bass/sub bass.

The bass doesn't bleed or mask at all. The treble extends even a bit higher than the er4s giving a little more air to things. For those who like such things, there is a graph floating on the zero thread that completely corroborates this. Needless to say, these sound just as good as the er4s in every way to my ears, and then improve upon the bass and treble extension. Time will tell how they hold up physically, etc. etc. But audio-wise, these are everything I've been looking for. I think my search is done.

I wish etymotic would take this iem and examine it and see what can be done with a single driver unit. Not everyone agrees on bass levels, etc. but this thing is almost like having an er4s with my bass eq, but it still sounds better, because the bass just sounds more detailed. Kick drums give off a realistic thwamp and kick that sound incredible but the midbass is beautifully open and clean. Not bloated like the mh1. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for an er4s alternative. Are they more accurate? That's hard to say. They meet the accuracy of the er4s to my ears and fix the things I find as flaws. But either way, they are the closest things to the er4s in neutrality and quality I've ever heard and are easily the closest alternative for those who value those traits...

link to buy this , please
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4,500 of 19,246

link to buy this , please 
biggrin.gif

​You're welcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back