If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3,811 of 19,272
As another ER4 fan, has anyone in this thread compared the difference between going from the foam (either the included or separate comply tips) to an ear mold from an audiologist? Other than comfort level I'm curious if anyone has noticed a difference. Thanks in advance

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,812 of 19,272

Yes, all true, but I am one person who will advise you put them in deeper in almost all situations where the sound isn't correct, only because 90% of people i've seen wearing the er4s are clearly wearing them too shallow.  You are correct, even I back them off a bit once they are in to get them "just right", however, if you're not at least reaching the reference plane or "must pass this line here" area, you won't get the target response.  Once you pass that plane, I suppose the ear acoustics could play an effect.  Pressure is huge though.  One might not think to wait a minute or two and judge the sound poorly and then try to reinsert or move them around.  Essentially, they never let them settle enough to realize the pressurized sound will improve...

All earphones rely on your ear acoustics, but the er4s unfortunately happens to be very dependent on these things more than most others.  So it is well worth one's time getting used to them and not writing them off for a good while.  They might be missing out and not even realize it.

Agreed.  It was actually your insistence on deep insertion--plus my viewing of the official how-to-insert video--that made my very first experience of the ER-4S a good one.  Well, a great one--actually an amazing one!  As I said after I had first experienced it, THIS is the sound I have been looking for all my audiophile life.  You are much better off going too deep than not deep enough.  Definitely the case in my experience.

One other thing I thought I'd share is a quick way to check to ensure that you have a good seal: rub your thumb and index and middle fingers together right near each ear (with ER4's inserted), in turn.  If you can hear this papery rubbing sound then you haven't gotten a good seal.  If you can't hear it, then it's likely (but not certain) that you DO have a good seal.

Haven't ordered my red filters yet, but that's next on the agenda--those and a five pack of small tripple flanges.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #3,813 of 19,272
For the P-to-S conversion, I use this adaptor:
$(KGrHqR,!rgFGyORlmLJBR1tByHC7g~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/271363212964?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f2e8206a4

plugged into a short 3.5 mm extension, like this:
$(KGrHqNHJEQFHhJEkQSuBR6Qsef-4w~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6Inch-Headphone-Extension-Cord-Cable-Stereo-3-5mm-1-8-for-Apple-iPhone-iPod-/390628990839?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5af34d5f77

Or, you can use this all-in-one cable:
$T2eC16V,!)sE9swmZwsPBRc5RUQbCQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-Headphones-Earphones-ER4P-ER4S-75-Ohm-Convertor-Cable-/271193304830?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f24616efe

If you don't want to buy off eBay, then you are pretty much stuck with Etymotic's overpriced $50 cable.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #3,814 of 19,272

Yes, all true, but I am one person who will advise you put them in deeper in almost all situations where the sound isn't correct, only because 90% of people i've seen wearing the er4s are clearly wearing them too shallow.  You are correct, even I back them off a bit once they are in to get them "just right", however, if you're not at least reaching the reference plane or "must pass this line here" area, you won't get the target response.  Once you pass that plane, I suppose the ear acoustics could play an effect.  Pressure is huge though.  One might not think to wait a minute or two and judge the sound poorly and then try to reinsert or move them around.  Essentially, they never let them settle enough to realize the pressurized sound will improve...

All earphones rely on your ear acoustics, but the er4s unfortunately happens to be very dependent on these things more than most others.  So it is well worth one's time getting used to them and not writing them off for a good while.  They might be missing out and not even realize it.

Agreed.  It was actually your insistence on deep insertion--plus my viewing of the official how-to-insert video--that made my very first experience of the ER-4S a good one.  Well, a great one--actually an amazing one!  As I said after I had first experienced it, THIS is the sound I have been looking for all my audiophile life.  You are much better off going too deep than not deep enough.  Definitely the case in my experience.

One other thing I thought I'd share is a quick way to check to ensure that you have a good seal: rub your thumb and index and middle fingers together right near each ear (with ER4's inserted), in turn.  If you can hear this papery rubbing sound then you haven't gotten a good seal.  If you can't hear it, then it's likely (but not certain) that you DO have a good seal.

Haven't ordered my red filters yet, but that's next on the agenda--those and a five pack of small tripple flanges.

I do the finger test when i have a healing ear infection. :p

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,815 of 19,272
As another ER4 fan, has anyone in this thread compared the difference between going from the foam (either the included or separate comply tips) to an ear mold from an audiologist? Other than comfort level I'm curious if anyone has noticed a difference. Thanks in advance

I've done extensive comparisons. For me it is impossible to get the ety foam tips as deep as the tri flange or comply foam, both of which i could pierce my brain with if i wanted to. :p

The ety foam still fit well and give me good bass, but the lack of perfect insertion depth for me causes a slightly brighter bump in the treble. Nothing bad, but i prefer the triple flange and comply. Comply is the most comfortable. I can put them deep, but the foam expands to fit, so it's comfy enough. The tri flange are usually ok for me but sometimes cause a decent amount if pain to where i don't want to use them for a while. They sound as good as the comply but a bit more treble presence. Not a spike or bump really, just a bit more overall brightness. With the comply in deep the difference is almost nonexistent and i prefer their comfort. Those are my chosen tips.

As for the custom molds. I went through microsonics and would never do it again. I'm on my fifth remake/remold and although slightly improved, they will never sound as flat, because the mold doesn't allow the er4 to go deep into your ears. Not even close really. So you might get bass with a good seal, but you also get a nasty treble spike. Rin verified this with measurements and many attempts as well. Some people may be happy with theirs, but i don't believe anyone will get the reference sound unless the get a different mold process or company that can somehow get the housing very deep. As for comfort i prefer the comply hands down.

The customs have a silicon that grabs the skin and actually irritates me a bit, fit wise they are ok, but nothing special in my opinion. Again, different companies may vary... I'd put the money into music or something more worthwhile personally. That's my take.x

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #3,816 of 19,272
I've done extensive comparisons. For me it is impossible to get the ety foam tips as deep as the tri flange or comply foam, both of which i could pierce my brain with if i wanted to. :p

The ety foam still fit well and give me good bass, but the lack of perfect insertion depth for me causes a slightly brighter bump in the treble. Nothing bad, but i prefer the triple flange and comply. Comply is the most comfortable. I can put them deep, but the foam expands to fit, so it's comfy enough. The tri flange are usually ok for me but sometimes cause a decent amount if pain to where i don't want to use them for a while. They sound as good as the comply but a bit more treble presence. Not a spike or bump really, just a bit more overall brightness. With the comply in deep the difference is almost nonexistent and i prefer their comfort. Those are my chosen tips.

As for the custom molds. I went through microsonics and would never do it again. I'm on my fifth remake/remold and although slightly improved, they will never sound as flat, because the mold doesn't allow the er4 to go deep into your ears. Not even close really. So you might get bass with a good seal, but you also get a nasty treble spike. Rin verified this with measurements and many attempts as well. Some people may be happy with theirs, but i don't believe anyone will get the reference sound unless the get a different mold process or company that can somehow get the housing very deep. As for comfort i prefer the comply hands down.

The customs have a silicon that grabs the skin and actually irritates me a bit, fit wise they are ok, but nothing special in my opinion. Again, different companies may vary... I'd put the money into music or something more worthwhile personally. That's my take.x

luisdent - thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will get more comply tips then.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3,821 of 19,272

luisdent - thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will get more comply tips then.

I almost gave up on Etys until I tried the Complys!  Now I get a red pack and a black pack so the right hand driver is easy to discern in the dark(I have the newer all-black ER-4P).  Love them.
I made a custom cord lock and right ear identifier. I'm on my ipod, but you should be able to see it in my last blog post. Handtokey.blogspot.com

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #3,823 of 19,272
Just to add my experience, I have always had good results with the triple-flange but they can get uncomfortable after long periods when deep enough.

Recently I tried making DIY custom moulds using the radian earplug kit. I must admit they seem to work pretty well, and I was able to push the er-4's deep enough during setting to get good enough bass. I cut the flanges off one of the tips and used that as a sleeve for the earphone to sit tight in the mould. Considering that custom moulds in the uk cost over £100, and the radian kit costs 15, I'm pretty happy.

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #3,824 of 19,272
  I wish they'd stuck with the blue/red plastic parts myself.

Yeah.  I' happy with mine.  I prefer the red/blue sections and also the cable.  I would like reduced cable noise, but they don't bother me the way I wear my er4s, so no issue really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back