If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #3,331 of 19,249
  I may have to go with the Amazon one, since the only one on Ebay I can find like that is this one which is $45 + shipping.

Well that's interesting. There was a huge batch of the genuine adapters on ebay not that long ago going for like $15 shipped. I guess they all got snatched up!

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #3,332 of 19,249

luisdent, just wondering, did you try a/b between the HO of ipod touch and line out to C5?
I remember you mentioned about something weird going on with the high frequencies from the ipod or something?-Was it easier to tell with the a/b switch?

I don't have another iPod touch to compare, but I know that the fuze sounds identical to my iPod touch with line out cable, so I compared the fuze to the iPod headphone output.  It was just a quick test and not a double blind.  I plugged them into the switch and volume matched them then I did a few song comparisons.  It is very very very slight, but after switching back an forth a few times I think I could hear the iPod is not as micro detailed in the guitars in the left channel of one song (a song that had crisp picking guitars mixed low to the left).  So I think it is in fact less micro detailed.  However, hearing them side by side the difference is very very very small.  I have to listen very critically to hear the difference.  Therefore, I can't be sure if it's my brain or not.  I'll have to do a double blind later, but I would say the difference is probably only audible to the most critical listeners if it's there at all...

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #3,333 of 19,249
If anyone is interested, here is a song a did recently that I used the er4s for some of the mixing. :)  I always finalize mixes on my studio monitors, but a good portion of the background harmonies, etc. were done in the earphones and not changed much after...

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/12/new-alan-parsons-project-remix-song.html

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3,334 of 19,249
Not sure who said it earlier in the thread but yes... ER-4P + Red Filter = WIN! :D

It's almost hard to wrap your head around but by dragging down the presence region, cymbal work despite also being lower in dB is easier to hear.  Balance is now very close to the LCD-3.  Keeping in mind I use a normal Comply fit where I just insert and twist into place, no crushing, just a nice seal that doesn't break but doesn't push into my skull either.

Hopefully my Zune can drive them well, dumping the UM3X and taking the ER-4P into the wild tomorrow for the first time.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3,338 of 19,249
Hi guys, in your opinion, would it be good to recable my ER4-S? In my case, I'm looking for a shorter and lighter cable since the stock cable is heavy and really long. If I were to buy a cable, what type of connectors should if have? Sorry for my lack of knowledge - I'm just not very knowledgeable about these types of stuff. Thanks!

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,339 of 19,249
Hi guys, in your opinion, would it be good to recable my ER4-S? In my case, I'm looking for a shorter and lighter cable since the stock cable is heavy and really long. If I were to buy a cable, what type of connectors should if have? Sorry for my lack of knowledge - I'm just not very knowledgeable about these types of stuff. Thanks!
If you're not sure what to get you could ask to see if someone like BTG Audio to recable them for you. He does pretty affordable, high quality work.

Otherwise, you need to get cables that fit the specific er4 housing. You can buy some and do it yourself, it's easy. However, the connectors are tight and you want to be careful you don't damage anything.

Here's a company that has er4 cables, but they're pretty pricey. I think it will be hard to find cheap er4 cables . http://apuresound.com/er4.html

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #3,340 of 19,249
If you're not sure what to get you could ask to see if someone like BTG Audio to recable them for you. He does pretty affordable, high quality work.

Otherwise, you need to get cables that fit the specific er4 housing. You can buy some and do it yourself, it's easy. However, the connectors are tight and you want to be careful you don't damage anything.

Here's a company that has er4 cables, but they're pretty pricey. I think it will be hard to find cheap er4 cables . http://apuresound.com/er4.html

Thank you :) I suppose the connectors for the ER4 are unique, so I'm guessing that most cables won't be suitable for the ER4, am I right?

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3,341 of 19,249

Thank you :) I suppose the connectors for the ER4 are unique, so I'm guessing that most cables won't be suitable for the ER4, am I right?
Correct.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3,344 of 19,249
  Hopefully my Zune can drive them well, dumping the UM3X and taking the ER-4P into the wild tomorrow for the first time.

Zune != PWD/GS-X

Going to need another DAP or IEM for the commute that is still less scooped than the UM3X.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #3,345 of 19,249

King-tips!

Hard to define Ety. magic but it compares to any headphone I have ever heard at any price! More notable with good amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back