If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #14,671 of 19,253
That is lucky for you, my experience has been more like the people who have been complaining about their customer service on reddit recently. Besides the old email issues they've been unresponsive on the phone, in that they say things will happen that never happen, like orders being placed and new emails being sent.

That is unfortunate. I know a few people there reasonably well and I know that would not be their intent, but I can't speak for the company as a whole, especially with the change to lucid. :-/

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #14,672 of 19,253
Bit of a strange situation, I was told by an Etymotic rep that the new packaging (with Lucid on the front cardboard cover) was introduced in Q4, 2019 and that all new packaged sets included the new tips. Hope they get put for sale separately soon...

My month old ER4XR in the new packaging came with the new tips. Sold by Amazon.com. I just ordered an ER4SR from Amazon.com. They’ll be in tomorrow. I’ll report on whether they come with the tips or not. I made sure I purchased from Amazon.com as they’re an official Etymotic retailer. My take on the new tips for me are that they go in all the way and seal perfectly. They are more comfortable than the triple flanges and sound just as good. Not more comfortable than the foam tips for me though. Take it all with a grain of salt. Everybody’s ears are different.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #14,673 of 19,253
My month old ER4XR in the new packaging came with the new tips. Sold by Amazon.com. I just ordered an ER4SR from Amazon.com. They’ll be in tomorrow. I’ll report on whether they come with the tips or not. I made sure I purchased from Amazon.com as they’re an official Etymotic retailer. My take on the new tips for me are that they go in all the way and seal perfectly. They are more comfortable than the triple flanges and sound just as good. Not more comfortable than the foam tips for me though. Take it all with a grain of salt. Everybody’s ears are different.
Please keep us updated! I am after an SR too, and the Amazon US price, including import duty charges to the EU, is considerably cheaper than buying it direct in Europe, so if you get a new packaging, its worth a purchase from here...

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #14,674 of 19,253
That is lucky for you, my experience has been more like the people who have been complaining about their customer service on reddit recently. Besides the old email issues they've been unresponsive on the phone, in that they say things will happen that never happen, like orders being placed and new emails being sent.
I sent Etymotics two sets of ER4P's that have issues, dropped in the mail on Dec. 19, 2019. I had been told that they would contact me with their determinations, informing me of my options. They were out of warranty. One of them actually developed the serious issue well within warranty, but it had escaped my attention that there was warranty relief for me. I called them around 10 days after I sent the package and they confirmed that they'd received the package and was told that they would alert their parties. I was told they evaluate on a first come, first served basis. It's now over a month since I sent the package, so they've had about a month and still no word from them.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #14,675 of 19,253
I sent Etymotics two sets of ER4P's that have issues, dropped in the mail on Dec. 19, 2019. I had been told that they would contact me with their determinations, informing me of my options. They were out of warranty. One of them actually developed the serious issue well within warranty, but it had escaped my attention that there was warranty relief for me. I called them around 10 days after I sent the package and they confirmed that they'd received the package and was told that they would alert their parties. I was told they evaluate on a first come, first served basis. It's now over a month since I sent the package, so they've had about a month and still no word from them.

Yeah, there are other people with similar complaints. Something is going on over there. It's a real shame, as for many years the customer service was excellent, now it's the worst I've ever experienced. Good luck. I would not trust this company with personal information at this point as they don't seem to have a handle on what is going on.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #14,676 of 19,253
Please keep us updated! I am after an SR too, and the Amazon US price, including import duty charges to the EU, is considerably cheaper than buying it direct in Europe, so if you get a new packaging, its worth a purchase from here...

My ER2SE ordered from Amazon US on 28th December was delivered to me in the UK on the 2nd January and had the new tips included.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #14,678 of 19,253
So strange, I ordered an ER2XR two weeks ago in the US and it did not include the new dual flanges but it was in the Lucid Audio branded packaging.
Exact same for me as well.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #14,680 of 19,253
Spent a few days with my new ER2XRs, and these would be perfect for me if it weren't for what I hear as some recessed lower treble. I'm talking around 5 - 6 kHz or so. This is most noticeable with instruments that have a lot of dense, constant energy in that area, like distorted electric guitars in rock or metal music. I'm a little let down, because I bought these hoping to use them for my stage monitoring needs while touring, but they make my guitar sounds lose a noticeable amount of energy, cut and brightness.

To clarify, I don't think fit is the issue, I can comfortably insert these as far as I see them inserted in the Ety videos, where only the stem portion, beyond the 90° bend of the cable housing, is visible.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #14,685 of 19,253
hey guys just wondering.. is anyone experienced with using etymotic er4s to do music production or even use it for stage monitoring? The reason i ask is that i know alot of musicians use CIEMS for perfomance.. but i hardly ever see anyone using er4s considering it's famous as a reference earphones.. i'm thinking of buying an er4sr but im not sure if it's adequate to use for reference and stage perfomance compared to CIEMS? and if so why aren't they widely used? i see alot of shures but not many sennheiser ie800s, akg k3003 and ety er4s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back