If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 7, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #10,471 of 19,251
I continue to be very happy with the XR and a FiiO X5ii.  Having just spent a couple of cross country flights with the combo, I tried some recordings notorious for too much bass, for example the MFSL CDs of The Yes Album and R.E.M. Murmur, and even then didn’t have any problems with the bass vs. the rest of the presentation.
I had a 4S many years ago, so if the SR is in fact close to that, I can see where for someone liking more jazz or classical, the SR might be the way to go if you wanted all the focus on a very open mid and upper range; but for me who is more classic/alternative rock, the XR has a nice warm balanced presentation but still plenty of nice natural detail while never sounding too toppy or strident, where I felt the 4S could swing a tad that way at times.  My guess is the X5ii would generally be a little on the analytical side, so again this seems like a very nice pairing.
Put me down for liking the length of the cable which works nice on planes and trains where I use this the most.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #10,472 of 19,251
After 4 years with er-4p decided to move to a higher level and purchase Rhapsodio Solar. ER-4 is a super excellen iems, but with time you want something new. Besides, I want more low frequencies and a wider scene. But er-4 will remain in my heart forever, especially if you consider their price better price / quality ratio is difficult to find.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #10,473 of 19,251
  After 4 years with er-4p decided to move to a higher level and purchase Rhapsodio Solar. ER-4 is a super excellen iems, but with time you want something new. Besides, I want more low frequencies and a wider scene. But er-4 will remain in my heart forever, especially if you consider their price better price / quality ratio is difficult to find.

I did the same thing last year, brought some Shure se846 then sold at a loss, tried several Noble iems as well as the on ear Audeze offerings but im back with the er4 as none were much an upgrade (IMO) and were not as good for listening on the tube.

I found using the er4p with the adapter to make it a S was nice, now that ive got a better player.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #10,474 of 19,251

I did the same thing last year, brought some Shure se846 then sold at a loss, tried several Noble iems as well as the on ear Audeze offerings but im back with the er4 as none were much an upgrade (IMO) and were not as good for listening on the tube.

I found using the er4p with the adapter to make it a S was nice, now that ive got a better player.

How about new er-4 sr/xr? Have you heard how they sound?

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #10,478 of 19,251
  I own er4sr,happy with it but,for sometimes,i really want abit more bass,thus i'm so itching to order er4xr.
Is boosted bass justified a purchase? Any opinions?

I have the same situation, sometimes need more bass than the SR can give.
I keep them as my reference and they remain #1 IEM. 

In parallel I own very affordable ATH-E50 (single driver as well) - it is not that transparent and resolving as Ety but gives more in the low end with a very good level of details, I do own the ATH- LS200 - they also have slightly more bass and they are little bit darker than the SR. One more AT is coming in 1-2 weeks (E70).
So I go around the monitoring series of AT.

Why not the XR? I don't want to "spoil" the SR may be
wink.gif
 Letting them be unique.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #10,479 of 19,251
I just discovered the upgrade program, so now it's a no-brainer to send in my first pair of ER4P's and save $75 on the ER4XR's. Pretty awesome of Ety to offer that much off for an out-of-warranty trade-in. It's $125 off (only $225 for brand new ER-4SR/XR
basshead.gif
) if your old ones are still under warranty.

Seriously sounds too good to be true to save that much by sending them something that's been stashed away in a drawer for 3 years (since I got ER-4PT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back